Praxis 3

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by ohteach, Jan 23, 2006.

1. ohteach

ohteach Companion

Jan 23, 2006

I am a 1st year teacher so I get to take the lovely Praxis 3 test to keep my Ohio cert. My assesor will be calling soon to set up a day and time to come observe me. Does anyone have any advice? My biggest concern is how much time to have her come and observe me. I am planning about 30 min. but I think they want more then that. Has anyone taken this yet? What should I expect? I am luckily going to a wrokshop in order to help me fill out the paperwork so that will answer some questions I guess.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 23, 2006

Thanks, kdunker.

All right, veterans: let's have some answers here, please.

4. ohteach

ohteach Companion

Jan 23, 2006

Yes please! Save me from the stress!!!!!!! lol

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 23, 2006

Stress, hmm?

So let me take stock: you're doing Praxis III so you can KEEP your certification, yes? Which implies that you've already got it, which implies that you're in the classroom now, yes?

6. ohteach

ohteach Companion

Jan 23, 2006

I am already in the classroom and currently hold a 2 year provisional cert. In Ohio as a first year teacher (which I am) you are required by the state to take Praxis 3 in order to get a 5 year (I think) certificate. Basically with Praxis 3 someone from the state comes in an observes me teaching a lesson. I have a pre-interview and a post-interview in which this person asks me questions based on the 4 Praxis domains. I have to answer questions as well as show evidance in some cases of how I demonstarted these domains.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 24, 2006

Have you gotten pretty comfortable with the teaching routine, at this point in the year? Is there anyone who's mentoring or overseeing you, one way or another, who's had occasion to see you in action?

What are the domains? (Sorry to have to ask, but Praxis III is not something I've done anything with before.)

8. ohteach

ohteach Companion

Jan 24, 2006

I am pretty comfortable in my class but I get nervous when other people watch me. I do have a mentor who has been a big help but I also wanted advice from someone who has gone thourgh this process. I do not have the exact domains off hand but I have a book that lists hat exactly the observer is to look for and what I need in each catergory to get a certain score.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 24, 2006

It would probably be a good thing to be able to reel off the domains - you can practice them in your head, ten seconds per domain as they come up while you're doing your ordinary thing with your kids... You say, "Okay, kids, time to ___", the internal monologue goes, That's domain x and some of domain y - doesn't take much more than that, but if you're doing it regularly, making the connection and thinking in those terms will start being really natural, and this could help you keep track of what you're supposed to be showing off.

10. ohteach

ohteach Companion

Jan 24, 2006

I feel pretty confident about the actual class portion. I have been observerd by both my mentor and principal and they both said I did good. The other stuff that is going to be time consuming is getting paper work together and writing things down to show how I have worked with other teachers, parent communication (that won't be hard), etc. and things like that. Each domain is broken down into about 4-5 subparts that I will have to answer quesitons for or show evidance of. It is just going to be a lot of organzing things in order to show evidance of each question asked.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 24, 2006

Oh, I see. (Organizing! Ick!)

12. ohteach

ohteach Companion

Jan 25, 2006

Yep! Not fun at all!

13. dee

dee Companion

Jan 26, 2006

Praxis 3 sounds a lot like New Teacher Assessment in Louisiana. If you are able to tell your objectives and the state standards they are based on, plan to tell management skills that would be used in your class, they also like to know what modifications that will be made for students having trouble, and they LOVE to see technology being implemented in the lesson. The other areas that had to be proven in my portfolio were parental communication, collaboration with others, community involvement, and professional development. If I think of anything else I will let you know.

14. ohteach

ohteach Companion

Jan 26, 2006

That sounds a lot like what I have to do. I found out that I will be observed on Feb. 22 so I have a moth to get ready for this.

15. AngelaP

AngelaP New Member

Feb 11, 2006

Hi, I'm Angela and I too have to take the Praxis III. My date is February 28th. I teach a split class K5/1st grades. I am looking for a lesson in science, social studies or anything that can be done using centers. Please give me any advice or lessons that would work. Thanks

16. Ashtrey

Ashtrey Companion

Feb 2, 2008

I am an EYT in Ohio too. Did your district not have an entry year teacher program. We met once a month and went through each domain - criteria by criteria. I would definately look at the Ohio Dept. of Education. It gives a short summary of the 4 Domains and the 19 criteria. I have a TON of information if you are still looking for help.

I was told that the actual observation is made up of a 40 minute pre-observation interview, a 40-45 minute classroom observation and a 40 minute post-observation interview.

Did you even get a Praxis 3 workbook? It has all the questions that you will be asked in your interviews.

Let me know if I can help you.

Ashley

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 2, 2008

Um, no disrespect, Ashtrey... but the post you responded to is almost a year old. We devoutly hope AngelaP found what she needed.

18. Ashtrey

Ashtrey Companion

Feb 8, 2008

Oops....I just saw the January date..I didn't even realize that it was LAST year.

Sorry to bother ya.
    Ashley

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 8, 2008

No worries. Who knows: maybe someone else needs to know and hasn't yet managed to ask.

20. SeenItAll

SeenItAll New Member

Jul 1, 2010

Piece of cake! The Praxis III was basically designed to keep those who had no grasp of teaching out of the classroom. If you've been observed already and you are working with the constructive criticism then you should be fine. Some advice: 1. tell your kids that they will be observed and that you won't be doing anything that you already haven't done (in general) and introduce them to the person that day. 2. have your paperwork all ready and in a nice/neat portfolio. 3. the assessor will like to see a well-run classroom that flows nicely, so work on pace and patience if not doing so already. 4. keep the room cool- open windows. 5. use students' names and provide a seating chart for the assessor- it may come in handy during the post interview. 6. as for paperwork and knowing what to say at interview time- treat it like a test. I had my observation planned for a Monday so I got it over with at the beginning of the week, but I also had the entire weekend to study my answers for the interview questions. Kept the stuttering to a minimum :) 7. Relax! Take a deep breath, at this point you should be comfortable in your room and with your kids. Wear something that you are comfortable in too. Don't try out a new pair of shoes or a skirt if that's not your norm. Remember, focus on you and the class. They're used to you the way you are, so don't change it. 8. Outline lesson on the board (may want to start this earlier than observation day so some kid doesn't ask what it is!) This keeps you focused, on task, and also meets a Domain. 9. Sort of worry about time- plan for at least 40 minutes. Mine went longer because of discussion but the assessor thought that was cool because I had prepared him in the pre-interview that the lesson would generate a discussion. Use your kids' strengths. Remember, they help make you look good!

21. SeenItAll

SeenItAll New Member

Jul 1, 2010

Message was posted for any incoming teachers. Hope this helps all in the future!