Praxis 0069 Middle School Math

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by ohiocrew, Feb 26, 2009.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 29, 2009

math happy, with a score like that, either you worked very, very hard with REA and praxismiddleschoolmath or you really did already know this stuff and the prep just put the polish on the apple. I'd bet on the latter.

2. namanator

namanator Rookie

Jun 13, 2009

Just took the 0069 praxis, not feeling really great about it...

3. math happy

math happy Rookie

Jun 13, 2009

Thanks, Teacher Groupie! :)
    Took MS English Language Arts today - four weeks to wait!!!

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 13, 2009

Breathe, okay?

5. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2009

I'm sure you did fine! But now all you can do is relax and wait.

I was a no-show for my middle school math test yesterday. I was offered a contract Friday and just decided that I didn't feel like driving back home 4 hrs to take the test when I no longer really needed it. Galls me to lose the $170 though :(

6. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Jun 15, 2009

I took the 0069 test for NJ on Saturday. I found the test challenging and had to hurry towards the end. My preparation includes college algebra and precalculus classes at the state school since I'm short a few points for the middle school math certification. I really hope the state doesn't find a problem with these classes. I am following the alternative certification process as a brand new teacher-to-be for NJ and am finding the bureaucracy bewildering. :dizzy:

Hopefully, I will pass my tests and get my CE for middle school math and then start applying for jobs this Fall.

7. septembrinol

septembrinol New Member

Jun 26, 2009

Congrats!

8. ecl

ecl Rookie

Jun 28, 2009

Good luck to you.

9. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 7, 2009

Mathhappy - what resources did you use to study for that one?:hijack:

10. math happy

math happy Rookie

Jul 7, 2009

I used the study guide by XAM and also purchased the ebook study guide available online through ETS - it is a download. I found them both helpful, but we will have to see if they got the job done! Results post next week.

11. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 8, 2009

Got my fingers crossed for you!
    Where'd you take the tests?

12. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Jul 14, 2009

179 on the middle school math test!
    190 on the elementary education test!

I screwed up a number of the probability questions and was a bit worried. I passed and can move forward with my certification work.

:D

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 14, 2009

190? Woo-hoo, Genmai! Praxis exams are scored on a scale from 100 to 200, so that's quite nice - and the 179 on the middle school math isn't exactly shabby either.

14. math happy

math happy Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

I took them in NJ - TCNJ. I passed with a 193!! :) Now I can move on with my career and forget all this Praxis stress!!!!!

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 17, 2009

Congratulations, math happy! But please don't forget all about this Praxis stress: think about what you've learned about test preparation that can help you help your future students.

16. namanator

namanator Rookie

Jul 18, 2009

I passed! What a relief.

17. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 18, 2009

Congratulations Namanator! What resources did you end up using to help you prepare... how long before the test did you start studying? I'm hoping to take the test at the end of August, but the NJ test dates have not been updated as of yet for 09-10. ETS said they would be up in about a week... I hate waiting...

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 18, 2009

Congratulations, namanator! Don't forget to celebrate your accomplishment - nobody ever passed one of these tests on luck alone, and it's important to own your own success so you can better help your students own theirs.

19. namanator

namanator Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

I used the praxis 0069 math review, which was very general! In addition, I also went to the public library and checked out SAT Math Prep, Geometry Textbook, and Algebra II. However, I did not use the algebra II text at all. Know your functions! Know basic geometry equations! By the way, i got a 0 out of 18 on my math response, i called and the note attached to my file said something about my writing not being readable. But I passed anyways so I dont know if i should feel great or sad because I could have gotten a better score.

20. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Jul 20, 2009

My main test was the ETS study guide. Unfortunately, there is a charge. On the plus side, I found no surprises on the test after having used the ETS guide. Since the guide is published by the people who create the tests, it is probably the best guide to the real material. The guide only gives an outline and you will have to find real problems in other sources like SAT prep books and a good college algebra text. You may also need a precalc book to cover the basic probability scenarios. I also suggest that you become good at using your calculator.

21. JillEngelhardt

JillEngelhardt Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

Hi Everyone,
    I'm taking the middle school math and middle school science test on Saturday in NJ.
    I'm freaking out. I have been studying hard core for over a month now (I was urged to take and pass the test to stay in the district that I am teaching in).

I'm also very confused with Highly Qualified Status.

I'm certified N-8, already highly qualified in Language Arts and I was told to become highly qualified in everything. I found a website that says you need 15 credits OR pass the Praxis II test, but when I called the state of NJ they said it is 15 credits AND Praxis II.

So now I'm wondering if I even pass these tests if it will matter because I definitely don't have 15 credits in math and science.

Anyway, I wanted to know if buying that test for $60 (can't remember exactly what it is called right now) is definitely worth it considering that my test is in 2 days. I'm kind of desperate to pass this test because I spent $230 on it and really don't want to keep stressing about it.

I'm good at math (I teach 5th grade math right now). But I never took calculus or trig ever. I don't understand the questions about functions f(x) * f(g).

I bought the Praxis II Cliffsnotes book and I feel that it is TERRIBLE! They show the answers, but with ZERO explanation. I look at the problems and wonder HOW DID THEY GET THAT?! It's only confusing me.

I know I'm rambling, but I guess I'm just nervous.

From this post it looks as though everyone was nervous and then ended up doing exceptionally well. That makes me feel a little bit better.

How about the constructed response questions? Are they as difficult as this book makes them out to be?

22. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jul 23, 2009

Go the NJ Dept of Ed site. It will tell you everything you need to know about highly qualified status. If you have N-8 certification, you only need to pass the Praxis II in the subject area to be highly qualified to teach middle school.

If you have a more recent K-5 certification, then you need the 15 credits plus the Praxis II.

So yes, if you pass these two tests you will be highly qualified in math and science for middle school in NJ.

You should be familiar with functions for the test. On the test that I took (test versions are different each time) there was no calculus or trig. I have not seen the book you are studying from. Two out of the three constructed response questions on my test were easy. One was very time consuming. My suggestion is to go straight to the back of the test to tackle these three questions first. Time yourself on them and don't allow more than the recommended amount of time (ETS website gives recommendations, I forget what they are). Then go back and do the multiple choice, being conscious of your time there also. After breezing through that, then go back and work on ones that you were stuck on. It doesn't count against you to give a wrong answer, so answer them all making educated guesses if necessary at the end.

It's okay if you wind up being clueless about some questions. Understand that ETS does throw in some questions for a test drive. Most people that I know who took this test thought it was difficult, but wound up passing it.

Good luck.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2009

I'm not familar with the test, but schoolteacher raises some great points: knowing the test.

I teach a lot of SAT prep, and test taking strategies are a big part of what I do.

So it's important to know that this test apparently has no "guessing penalty" ... that means you spend the last 30 seconds making sure that EVERY question is answered. If it's a triangle, you guess either 90 or 180.

Are you allowed to use a calculator? If so, which one? Be SURE you're familiar with the calculator and its capabilities.

Are the diagrams drawn to scale? If so, use you fingernail or something to estimate when things are supposed to be equal.

As go functions: "f(x)= x+1" is just an other way of saying that, for the function they're calling "f", y is one more than the corresponding x. g(x) is simply another function named "g."

Can we assume that you're familiar with all that ETS says about the exam? http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/PRAXIS/pdf/01361generalinfo.pdf

24. Ms. T

Ms. T Rookie

Jul 25, 2009

Need to vent: I just took the middle school math test for the 3rd time and I walked out knowing I failed. This time the test was so completely different from my first two experiences. I missed passing by 4 pts the first time, 3 points the second, and this time I would not even begin to guess. I really thought I was ready but nothing seemed to relate to what I studied. I have a degree in elementary education 1-8 but to teach 6th grade math I have to be highly qualified. This test has absolutely nothing to do with the math I am teaching and way above the level of middle school math. Can someone tell me what level of math I need to study? Is it high school or college? I can't keep failing this test. I have asked the other math teachers at school for assistance but no one was "available" so I am self teaching material that I have never been taught. I love my job and do not want to lose it. Thanks for any assistance.

25. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jul 26, 2009

I'm sorry this happened, Ms. T. I know it can be distressing to feel pressure to pass this test.

I can tell you exactly what I did to pass this test. I studied the Cliff notes study series Algebra 1 and Geometry, as well as a probability book whose name now escapes me. One other book was the PRAXIS II: Middle School Mathematics (0069) - (REA): The Best Teachers' Test Prep by Mel Friedman.

But the most important thing I did was study from a website called praxismathexam.com. I took all of the tests and studied the problems I didn't know. I think working the problems from this site was one of the main reasons I passed this test on the first try. Many of the problems were similar to the test and required a thought process that really deepened my understanding of mathematics.

I replied in this same thread regarding test taking strategies which I think might be of use to you.

It was a tough test, but I have learned so much by studying for it that I feel it was worth everything I put into it and more. It is true that the level of the test is more difficult than you would be teaching for middle school math, but it is important to understand math on a deeper level than the level you will be teaching so that you have a better conceptual understanding of it and therefore will be a better teacher to your students.

Good luck to you.

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2009

I'm so sorry the test was so difficult.

I couldn't agree more!!!! I can't tell you how often I've had to "unteach" a concept taught by a teacher who apparently didn't have the big picture in mind.

Yes, you can divide a small number by a larger one.
    Yes, you can take the square root of a negative number.
    Yes, you can factor the sum of squares, or the "make" any number into a square.
    No, pi does NOT equal 3.14 or 22/7.

I'm guessing that's the intent behind making this test more in depth than the middle school math you'll be teaching.

27. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Jul 27, 2009

Honestly, you really should know math through 1st semester calculus if you want to teach ANY math. Otherwise, you will be teaching by rote and won't know the significance of important concepts. Having a firm understanding of trigonometry, functions and 1st semester calculus WILL make you truly understand lower level math and will give you the foundation to pass the exam with flying colors. IF you are constantly unable to pass the exam after many attempts, then there is probably some basic deficiency in your comprehension of math or test taking skills.

In math, not having a firm understanding of the basics in trignometry, functions, pre-calculus and 1st semester calculus will prevent you from having a deeper understanding of middle school math. For subject matter work, I suggest that you pick up a good old fashion math textbook. I've used the Goodman and Hirsh texts for college algebra and precalculus and have found them easy to read. For calculus, the James Stewart textbook is superb. While cram books and study guides are fine, they work best as tools to supplement your main sources. Also, many test prep books are filled with errors and poor or no explanations.

For test taking, I suggest you get a hold of ETS format test prep books like the many available for the math portion of the SAT. ETS creates and administers the SAT tests so there are small tips you can learn to help you on the PRAXIS, ie. answer every question and even guess if you don't know. Master the use of your calculator. Start with the constructed answer questions and then move to the multiple choice questions.

Finally, ETS offers a study guide for the test:
    http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/...nnel=89a25ee3d74f4010VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD

The ETS guide offers subjects to study. Cross-reference key points they mention with the appropriate chapters in math textbooks and do all the hard problems. This isn't the fastest way, but it will prepare you the right way and get you a good score.

I hope this helps.

28. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Jul 27, 2009

29. JillEngelhardt

JillEngelhardt Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

So I took my tests on Saturday and I think I did ok on the Math test. (I know I did horribly on the science test, but I just took that to see what it was like.)

Hopefully I pass. I'm teaching 5th grade math this year and it would be wonderful to not have to worry about it.

Genmai, I have been going through that website and I have also talked to a person over the phone about what I needed to be considered highly qualified and they're both very contradictory.

I'm certified N-8. I also passed the middle school LA test last year, and I definitely have 15 credits in English. I know I’m good to go in that subject, but as far as math goes, I’m not too sure. If I go by what the website says I’m golden, but if I go by what the person on the phone said, then I’m basically out of luck unless I go back to school.

I just have this feeling that even if I pass this math test, I still will not be highly qualified. I only took 4 credits of math in college.

If you search nj model of highly qualified teacher in google, the first link that comes up is what I am going by. It's from the njdoe website. I cannot post the link because I'm a new member.

If I go by that website, then I'm good to go. (if I passed the test!)

The essays were pretty easy by the way! I thought for sure that I wouldn't answer any of them, but I'm pretty sure I answered all of the parts correctly. (I cannot say the same about the science test!)

30. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 30, 2009

Hey ms. T - have you heard anything on your scores? Maybe you were just down because of your two close calls in the past.

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 30, 2009

It's amazingly common that people walk out of a teacher test sure that they failed and then find that they passed.

32. Ms. T

Ms. T Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

I won't know my scores for three more weeks. The previous tests I took I felt much more confident about my answers. This test just left me feeling wiped out. I ran out of time and did not finish the constructed response questions. It was pretty awful.

33. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jul 31, 2009

I have the same NJ cert that you have (elementary N-8), I passed the Praxis Math middle school test, only have 9 credits in college math, and I am highly qualified to teach middle school math in NJ. Hope that helps.

34. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

That does help! Thanks!

35. jete

jete New Member

Aug 15, 2009

It is doable

Don't know who may come across this message but I wanted to give this advice for taking the middle school math test. Work the constructed response questions first and then go to the multiple choice questions, skipping the ones that you are not sure of or that you feel will take up a considerable amount of your time until you have finished the rest of the test.
    My study guides included the Cliffsnotes Middle School Math book, ETS's study guide (download), a math standardized test taking strategy book that I checked out of the library (I'll try to look up the name and update) and some web sites on math especially Purple Math, and the West Texas A&M University site.
    I passed the test my first time (scored 179), and my last math class (Calculus IV) was in 1994.
    Best of luck.

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 15, 2009

Welcome to A to Z, jete. There are lots of ways to pass tests like these: sounds like you found the ways that work for you, and that's grand.

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2009

Let me second that welcome Jete!

Are you currently teaching math?

38. istJulliet

istJulliet New Member

Aug 19, 2009

Hi. I got praxis II middle school math but I didn't know that I also need to take elementary content test,too. Is it true??DO I really need to take elementary test ,too?Thanks

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 19, 2009

istJulliet, I think schoolteacher was in a conversation with someone who was adding a math qualification to an existing license. If you don't plan to teach in elementary school, and if you don't plan to teach anything but math, this shouldn't affect you. Please confirm this, though, with someone in the state department of education.

40. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 21, 2009

Wooooo hoooo! I passed the math with a 172!

I did not pass the science LOL!

I don't care though :)