Praxis 0014??? Help me

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by theteacherpet, Mar 29, 2011.

1. theteacherpet

theteacherpet Rookie

Mar 29, 2011

I have been studying like crazy--- and I am not so good with math-- I take Praxis 0014-- April 30-- I just took the practice test I bought from ETS-- and totally bombed it-- it was extremely dfficult- I always score low in math-- Need help-- I was using praxis 2 study notes- and they are good-- but anything else might be helpful 2???? Math in particular?? Help me

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 29, 2011

This test is scored as a whole, if memory serves - you pass or don't pass the whole thing - so if you do well enough on the other sections, you may have a bit of a cushion.

If math's a particular concern, you might want review materials that focus on math rather than on this particular test. LearningExpress's Practical Math Success in 20 Minutes a Day might serve you well, and you should be able to find it in any big bookstore.

4. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Mar 29, 2011

Do you do well on the Praxis II practice in the other areas? If math is your only problem I would say leave it for last, finish the rest of the test then take your time and relax on the math part.
    I like ALEKS for math it is self paced math at any level K-12 and even college credit. It cost $20 a month and you can go through as many courses as you can handle in a month. I like the way they break down explanations into step by step. If you want a test Prep book I used the REA book to prep for that test and I did well. It has about 150 pages of review for the test then 2 practice test. You should be able to find it at Amazon or Barnes & Noble for about $35

5. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

May 24, 2011

I am not the OP here, but since I am scheduled to take the Praxis II Content Knowledge (0014) I thought I would jump in. I just got the REA study guide today and am hoping that I made the right choice.

There are so many study guides out there! It is good to know that someone who has taken the exam felt the book was useful.
    Sheilah Kennedy

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 24, 2011

Welcome to our arena, DressageLady.

Let me also recommend roaming among the threads here for discussions of subject matter. There have been some lively ones over the years. Don't ignore the threads that seem to be focused on other states' tests, either.

7. Lindager

Lindager Companion

May 24, 2011

When do you take the test Dressagelady? I took it last June, I had just taken some math review and a Natural Science CLEP so I felt I knew those areas fairly well. It turned out I only was in the average range in Math but I blew away Social Studies( Very Strange).

Remember all parts have the same number of total points available so do not spend too much time on any one subject. If you are worried about an area leave that for last. I cut the time in 1/4s and only allowed that time for any section. DO NOT leave any questions unanswered, if time is running out just fill in any letter, you at least have a chance. There is no penalty for wrong answers just credit for right answers so a guess is better then nothing if time is running out.

8. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

May 25, 2011

Lindager,
    I take it on July 23. I'll do both Content Knowledge (0014) and PLT (K-6).

I feel pretty confident in language arts and social studies. Less so in science and math. Thankfully I just took the Praxis I math exam this past March (it was a retake, since I didn't pass it the first time), so a lot of the ground covered in the math portion of the 0014 is still fresh in my mind.

I wish my university's education department did more to help prep students for these exams. Here in Idaho we have to take and pass three literacy exams (three exams that cover the three standards of literacy knowledge), and there are required classes that spend the whole semester prepping for these exams and then the actual exams themselves are taken at the end of the semester.

Passing the Praxis exams are just as much a part of the credentialing process here as the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Assessments, but no education program in the state offers any prep for the Praxis series.
    Sheilah