Pranks on Fellow teachers

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by SouthernTeach, May 3, 2007.

1. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

May 3, 2007

Just for fun.....
    come on admit it.... we all know it happens, what is the best prank you have ever pulled or seen pulled on another teacher. For instance, we have some teachers at our school who are constantly hiding each others laptops (so if you find one in the teachers bathroom.... you just leave it:confused: ) or.... one year a group of teachers "dressed" another teacher's volkswagon beetle up like a pig (the teacher collected pigs) :p

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 4, 2007

Earlier in the school year two teachers went together to watch Snakes on the Plane. After a couple of days, one of the teachers completely filled the other teacher's whole entire room with fake rubber snakes. She also left a note on her car to watch out for more snakes!

4. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

May 4, 2007

I replaced a teacher's desktop icons on her computer with a "snapshot" of her desktop, so when she clicked to open a program, nothing happened. It was hilarious.

5. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

May 4, 2007

Some of my sweet little students hung all of my personal items from my desk from the ceiling using paperclips. Then, they coated everything in the room with tin foil. Then they post-it noted my car....

All in love... he he

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 4, 2007

I abhore pranks. Never play them and don't think they are funny at all. A prank is always at someone elses expense. In High School, this girl liked to hide my purse. Hahaha. Not funny as it was full of my personal items and I had no time to look for my purse. Just one example. What IS the point of it? To show how tricky you are? Whopee.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 4, 2007

One students completely reversed a teacher's room. It was before I started working there, but I've heard her tell the story. She thought it was funny.

They don't bother the ones with no sense of humor. They do things with the ones who think that's funny.

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 4, 2007

My pricipal collects teddy bears. One year before Christmas a few teachers took turns quietly removing a few from her collection in her office. Then after a while they all went on vacation. She kept receiving pictures of her teddies at the carwash, on the counter at the movie theater, sitting on a gas pump and so forth. One of them even travelled to the next state when a teacher went home for the weekend. It was so funny because she never realized they were missing until the pictures started coming in. All the teddys were waiting for her at the staff Chrismas party. They took up almost an entire table top.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 4, 2007

A teacher in my husband's school used to constantly leave her keys behind in the faculty room. For fun, they started adding old keys to her chain, one at a time. After she had acquired 6 or 7, someone challenged her to name the use for every key she carried away. She was totally perplexed when she couldn't "remember" some of them.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 4, 2007

I play computer tricks on a co-worker from time to time. I've turned her desktop sideways. There are two high schools in my parish, the one I went to, and the one on the side of the parish I now teach. They are, of course, arch rivals. I keep replacing her screen saver with pictures of my alma mater's mascot.

11. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

May 5, 2007

The Teddy bear one reminded me of another one from years ago....
    We had a teacher who collected Teddy bears had them everywhere in her room, but had one particular favorite. The rest of our grade level "kidnapped" that bear. We sent Polaroids of the bear, and ransom notes pieced together from different sources. Very cheesy and silly, the teacher did not suspect us at all....it was lots of fun!

I agree, that of course, you only pull pranks on people who enjoy such things.... to pull them on anyone else would be mean.... this is about fun.

12. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 5, 2007

Being a shop teacher we prank daily
    I once "Carved" a plan book out of wood put a real cover on it and switch it with a teacher's Plan book just before she was to hand it in.

One Year I was the MC for the end of the year meeting; I rolled in a shopping cart full of prank gifts:
    The PE teacher who would leave his food tray in the teachers room got a gold tray with his name on it,
    missing items from through out the year (not the real things just replacements) and the shopping cart went to the LA teacher who took 50 lb of papers home every night to grade.

BUT

The best was the for the principal
    he was a first year principal, he replaced a well liked principal. At the start of the year he was doing a comparison between himself and the old principal and he unbuttoned his shirt to reveal a Superman T-shirt
    WELL.
    a week before the end of school we got his shirt from his wife I did something to the shirt for every "problem" he encountered during the year.
    I burned one sleave to represent the hot anger the LA teachers had over an issue.
    I sliced the tail as if a dog had bit him (some other problem)
    I imprinted bicycle tires across the back,
    I turned it inside out and set firecrackers off in it,
    I put knife stabs in it and fake blood
    I even took it out to the desert and shot it with my 22 ° •° °• •• •.
    and once with my 20 gauge, powder burns and all

When I took it out of the bag the whole facility almost fell out of their seats laughing. as I described each wound and from what problem he got it from He laughed till he was tearing up at the end we presented him with a New T-shirt.
    I build a display case for both t-shirts which he hung in his office when he became a Superintendent in another dist.

13. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 5, 2007

You just have not had a good one a well planned prank is true nirvana. The rules are simple: do not hurt, do not destroy (unless you are replacing) and remember you will be the next one pranked

14. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

May 5, 2007

Grammy Teacher. I agree with you. I don't play and it upsets me when anybody plays a prank on anybody. I'm a professional and I expect to be treated that way. AND no cussing in the classroom, teachers lounge or any place.

15. srh

srh Devotee

May 5, 2007

While I like the story Alice shared (I should do that with my partner!), I'm kinda with Grammy and Hescollin on this one. I have a pretty great sense of humor, and I don't mind laughing at myself. But pranks have a way of going too far, going bad, whatever you want to call it. An organized "roast" is one thing (and hopefully done in good taste)--a prank where everyone else is in on something but the "victim" is questionable. And often, the prank revolves around something that is a "weakness" or "lack of" and can be humiliatiing.

16. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

May 5, 2007

Wow Irishdave, You win the award for most creative! And obviously your principal took the prank exactly how it was intended if he hung the shirt in his office!

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 5, 2007

When I was subbing some of the male teachers saran wrapped another male teachers car!! It was pretty funny to see this car in saran wrap!!

18. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

May 5, 2007

Now I think this is really funny!
    Kim

19. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 5, 2007

I like this one

20. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 5, 2007

The best prank I have ever been involved with was in HS one of our group was the principal’s son.
    He got his dad’s keys to the school we dressed in Black we went to the school with flashlights at 2 AM , we spent about 2 and a half hours in the dark. there were no alarms since this was 1968, retyping all the teachers class lists, in alphabetical order, to include one name “Zelda Gilroy” from the TV show “The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis”. the next day by lunch time the whole school was saying who the “heck” is Zelda Gilroy? To top it off we inserted “Zelda Gilroy” in to the commencement list the principal was to read but he caught it just as he read “Za----”

21. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

May 6, 2007

The camp counselors used to do this to each other; if you went to sleep early, you might also wake up to find you had been saran wrapped into your bed (never happened to me, thank goodness). Most people usually slept through the bed part, surprisingly.

Other camp pranks included moving beds when counselors had dorm duties (we each had a bed in a counselor cabin but on duty slept in camper cabins, so our beds were empty)--your bed might be on the roof of the lodge, out in the traffic circle, floating on canoes in the pond, etc. The traditional running your belongings up the flagpole was often common (one group stole the nature counselor's metal canoe and strung that up).

There were lots of mean pranks that I won't go into... :D

22. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 6, 2007

Ellen... how did they manage to get the canoe on the flag pole? That takes some MAJOR talent!!!

23. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

May 6, 2007

My team mate sent a prankster kid to my classroom to pull a pick up line on me. In the middle of class, the whole class is working away at a practice activity I gave them. This kid looks up and asks me if my legs are tired. Unknowingly I said "No why would you ask that?" The kid says with the straightest face "Because you've been running through my mind all day." Apparently many of the kids knew about it and cracked up laughing. So to get back at my team mate I took the kid outside and scolded him very loudly and told him to go to the office. She was so upset that the kid was in trouble she came running out of her room to apologize and confess. Joke was on her that time!

24. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

May 6, 2007

The worst prank I ever saw happened in a middle school. This young female teacher would refused to date two young male teachers that asked her out. They tore down her bulltin boards and stakced the student's desks on top of one another so she could not get into her classroom. She had to redo the bulletin boards. The two male teachers had done this and they were not punished. I agree with GRammyTeacher. I think pranks have not place in schools.

25. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

May 6, 2007

All pranks are so disgusting. How do we expect from our students, when we act this way. They look up to us and want to copy us. EEK. Please act like a leader and don't do this stuff.

26. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

May 6, 2007

The canoe had thick metal eyes for tying it up at the dock--the group put the flag clips through the eyes and just strung it up. I remember all the campers who "got the joke" just CRACKING UP the next morning when a director tried to lead the flag ceremony and instructed the entire camp to salute the canoe.

Some staff also figured out how to hang stuff from the rafters in the main lodge, so they would string up group tables so when you arrived for breakfst, your tables and chairs were up over your head. The groups would just laugh and have breakfast outside at the picnic tables.

I understand some people's opinions that pranks are cruel, but these weren't. Our staff were careful to include their campers in the pranking, our campers LOVED playing tricks, and we had specific rules about pranking (can not damage or waste property, can not hurt someone's feelings, has to be easily reversed, the pranking group must reverse it). I'm not saying all of these things would be appropriate for a school, but they were in no way inappropriate for a residential camp, and I'm glad our kids got a chance to play around and show their sense of humor. Camp is about having fun, and "normal" kids at "normal" camps do these things, so I'm glad we gave our kids with disabilities the same opportunities.

The after-hour staff pranks COULD be cruel (and disgusting) so I won't go into those now (or ever).

27. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 6, 2007

This prank is over the top. Pranks are for humor and fun only, or should be. I'm sure the young woman had her reasons for not dating these clowns. But pranks done right, to/with people who enjoy them are not always bad or mean. Sometimes they are just a way to let off steam and have a few laughs. A true master will be able to know who, when, where, and how far is too far.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 6, 2007

See, in my mind, that crosses the line from "prank" to "sexual harassment."

29. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 6, 2007

Camp is a little different, but for the school environment that is a point worth considering especially if the prank is as publicly obvious as some of these are. Nothing wrong with a good tasteful prank, but maybe it shouldn't be obvious to students that we are making them.

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 6, 2007

Crosses the line, and "marks" it (I'm thinking territorial tomcats) for good measure.

The chairman of the chemistry department at my undergraduate college was the recipient of many, many pranks - chiefly because he originated many, many pranks. One day he arrived at his office to find that the doorway had been neatly bricked over; on another occasion, he opened the door to find that a toilet had been installed.

One of my favorite pranks happened at Caltech (engineering schools are notorious breeding grounds of pranks). It was the custom toward the end of the year that each junior would pull a prank on a senior; some of the seniors went to inventive (but unsuccessful) lengths to secure their rooms, though the sensible ones simply left the door unlocked on grounds that it was easier on the door. One would return to find one's furniture all in place - if the room had been upside down, that is, for all the pieces including the bookcases were bolted to the ceiling. Another found his room filled with an inflated weather balloon. My favorite, though, is the senior who discovered that nothing at all had been done to his room. He looked and looked and looked to find what had been done, and finally concluded that his junior had simply fallen down on the job. Till he went out to his car, a VW bug, opened the door - and found himself eyeball to eyeball with an assortment of very curious goldfish. It seems the enterprising junior had gotten hold of a plastic bag big enough to line the inside of the car and had filled it with water and fish.

31. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

May 6, 2007

I truly believe if you can't have fun at work, then it's not worth it! You have to laugh in life! Now, that doesn't mean you have to do anything that might make someone mad either. I have pulled many a pranks/jokes on my co-workers, as well as had them pulled on me, and it has been all out of fun. You definitely have to consider whether or not the person would laugh or get their feelings hurt.

Everyone that knows me knows I'm a little OCD when it comes to keeping my desk neat. Things have to be stacked neatly at 90 degree angles...I know..weird, huh....One day, my team came in and turned all of my posters on my walls around, turned my desks around, put up my calendar days backwards, etc...hahah I was finding things a month later!!!

32. grade1teacher

grade1teacher Companion

May 6, 2007

I thought some of the jokes (the teddy bears etc) were pretty creative - when you know EXACTLY who you are doing this too andEXACTLY how they will react. I think that most of the time, these harmless pranks are not to hurt anyone but they jyust become a friendly competition to see who can be more creative.
    That being said...
    It's one thing if adults have fun with jokes in their private lives, and they know when to stop, what not to do.... but to involve students who do not have the best judgement is not the best idea. If this student had said such a comment to you on his own, would you have thought it was inappropriate? I definitely would - and I cannot imagine pulling a prank that would encourage that kind of behavior in students.

33. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 6, 2007

If you asked anyone who has the best sense of humor and makes work "fun" where I work, everyone would tell you it's ME. However, I have no time for pranks. When things are bolted to a floor, siran wrap around a car, goldfish all over a car(which would NOT be funny to me,) someone has to take the time to clean it up. If my posters were turned backward in my classroom, someone would probably be given 3 days off work. THose things are just plain stupid, not a bit funny.

34. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

May 7, 2007

Like I said, you would definitely have to know who would be able to laugh at those things or who would think they were "just plain stupid."

35. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 7, 2007

This sounds like one we just pulled on our janitor. He left his coffee cup in another teachers room, and she held it for ransom. We made several flyers with messages around the school (where only teachers could see them). The ransom was a bag of M&M's to be put in the 2nd grade teachers lounge. After a few days, we took another picture of the cup saying "I can't take it much longer". We had put a sticky note face on it so it could show expressions. Two days later we stuck it next to the tire of his truck, so it looked like the truck was going to run over it. The ransom was paid, and he got his coffee cup back with several different types of coffee for him. He really enjoyed the prank, and I'm sure he'll get us back.

36. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 7, 2007

I agree that pranks need to be decent, and not be in front of the kids. Two teachers down the hall from me are always playing little pranks on each other, all in good fun.

37. kburen

kburen Cohort

May 7, 2007

I agree with those who say that if you can't have fun at work, it's not a positive at all! Teaching is WAAAAAYYYY too stressfull to not be able to laugh once in a while. We do silly little things here and there to eachother on my grade-level.

We googled eachother's names on google image once...2 of the other teachers are good friends from having worked together before...They printed off pictures that they said were eachother and posted them around the school with "teacher of the year" written on them....They were both male pictures...female teachers :)

In addition, we always "pick" with eachother verbally....Call one a blonde all the time, they call a parent who's always in my room (good parent) my boyfriend....silly stuff that we all laugh about....It makes stressful days tollerable!

38. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 7, 2007

Grammy this was the last day of school prank!! It's the men teachers.

39. Mishmosh

Mishmosh Rookie

May 7, 2007

I love a good prank. I like involving the kids. I had my class convinced another teacher was a member of Menudo before he started teaching. I photoshopped a few pics of him into the group and brought in the pictures for the class. The kids loved it and believed it for a day or so.

The other teacher is a good friend of mine, so I knew the limits. In an ideal world, everyone pulling a prank would do it with taste and propriety.

40. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 7, 2007

Now that was tacky and tasteless they need a lesson from ole Irish on how to pull a prank with taste.

41. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

May 8, 2007

Now see.... I love this stuff! I just must have something for kidnapping! LOL!:p