Prank Pulled.

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by Newteach101, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Newteach101

Newteach101 New Member

Mar 12, 2007

Hello I am a first time poster, I am a female secondary school teacher and this is actually very difficult for me to discuss. My placement is to teach a unit called "Healthy Living" to a grade 11 boys class.

So far I have had nothing but problems with this class but something recently happened that changed my views from "boys will be boys" to What should I do?!

Around three weeks ago I went into a yelling fit and sent 3 students down to the office. I had a discussion with the VP (Vice Principle) who told me that the boys denied doing anything wrong and they said that they think it is because I am having a bad day and taking my anger out on them. This angered me but I had to take matters into my own hands, I gave them a 30 minute detention after school and placed a phone call to their parents. Around three days later I came into class 45 minutes early put my coffee on my desk and then went over to photocopy my lesion plan. When I got back 30 minutes before class I drank my coffee and began the class. With about 15 minutes left in class I remember graphically standing up to start a new discussion with the class and while I was talking a strong feeling came over my stomach. It quickly developed into a rather strong bowel movement. Standing there I closed my eyes for a few seconds and re-played this in my head. Not to be Rdiscusting but I am a very regular person, I do not get raging bowediscustingl movements out of the random I sat down at my desk and told them to work on something. I relieved myself after the class. And was forced to sign out because I was far to ill to continue with my day.

Three days later upon my return my friend (also a teacher) Annett asked me if it was true that I was drugged with laxatives because she heard a roomer. :eek: I realized what had just happened to me.

I have yet to take up the matter , and have no clue if it was the students I punished or another student that drugged me.

ANY ADVICE??

3. Newteach101

Newteach101 New Member

Mar 12, 2007

sorry for any spelling errors above I posted it in a hurry.

4. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Mar 12, 2007

Umm... I wouldn't leave any open drinks around.... :sorry: your making me so scared i was thinking about teaching middle school, i think you just changed my mind....

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Mar 12, 2007

This is the kind of thing that could have happened with my 8th graders last year. My advice: never leave your classroom door unlocked.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 12, 2007

Immediately report the incident to the principal. Inform admin that you plan to notify the police as well. Then do it.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 12, 2007

It has been three weeks. I don't know if you would be able to prove anything after three weeks. I would never leave a drink laying around and make sure to lock your classroom door if your not in there.

8. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Mar 12, 2007

I agree!

9. Newteach101

Newteach101 New Member

Mar 12, 2007

I know I am a new teacher
    by the way you do not know how much that hurts to be drugged with laxatives. I reminded myself of the move "dumb and dumber" I am serious it is painful

10. Newteach101

Newteach101 New Member

Mar 12, 2007

One last post!
    yes it was bad, but Ms. Z it was not that bad, I will still teach.
    I would call the police but I don't have any evidence of who did it, I guess I will just have to deal with the problem myself. I actually thought of saying "who put laxatives in my coffee" to the class but I thought thats a sure way to be laughed at

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2007

Take it to the administration. This is THEIR problem too... if it was lots of fun to do to one teacher, you just KNOW it will happen again. Let them help you deal with it.

but do it today. The longer you wait, the harder it is for them to deal with.

12. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Mar 13, 2007

This sounds like a joke but it is not funny. Suppose they did it to someone who has a major health problem or who is taking medication that can have an adverse reaction to the laxative? You should take this to the principal immediately so it can be prevented from happening again. This incident could have had a sad ending. What if they do it to another student?

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 13, 2007

I think I would let the principal know it happened. I am surprised he doesn't know already. As far as the police, not sure I would call them.
    At a school I worked at out west a student put rat poison in the math teachers coffee. The teacher ended up in the hospital. The student was sent to juvenile detention.

14. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2007

I would still do a police report; that way you have it in "writing". Nothing may ever become of it; but in the future if you need to verify what occured. It is there in writing.
    Good luck - that's why I work with PreSchoolers. It takes very special people to work with middle age and high schoolers. But that's my opinion; I know those particular teachers feel the same way about preschool & elementary teachers.

15. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 13, 2007

I agree strongly - notify your administrator asap. By grade 11 these kids should have some judgment - I would expect this of a 6th grader. I would not say anything to the class. And seriously, keep your door locked and don't drink from anything you haven't kept close at hand. What if it had been LSD??? Sometimes kids think things are funny because they lack judgment. Sometimes they have judgment and they are being cruel.

Just a side note, and not to criticize - the louder your voice, really the less control you have. My children know I will not yell. When my voice gets very quiet, or I just stop speaking, they know they are in big trouble. Try to work on another way to control your class or vent to an adult. Sounds like these kids are having fun pushing your buttons. Find out what pushes their buttons and gets their attention without yelling. Not a criticism, I think things will go better for you if they can't get you to yell. You will appear to them to be in control. Good luck. This is really a horrifying story and I feel for you.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 13, 2007

I don't think you can overreact to this. Judgment? This was a crime. In what other career would an employee tolerate this?

17. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Mar 13, 2007

Why didn't the other teacher immediately pull whoever was relaying the rumor into the admin. Chasing rumors may be pointless in some circumstances, but this is one of those crimes that students want to attatch their names for vanity.

18. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 14, 2007

So how has this worked out?

19. smilingteacher

smilingteacher Rookie

Mar 23, 2007

At the high school level. They will do anything for a rise or to get back at you. Never give them the ability. At the school I work at the Coffee pot is in the cafeteria. The classroom doors are always locked and never leave a student alone in a classroom. No matter if they are a great student or not. They will try something.

I had an incident last year, where the students did a horrible job at a speech. I graded them and told them to re-do. Parking had changed, so I parked near the gym. I could have parked in staff. A few days later I found my car had berries on it, smushed on my car. I heard the kids whisper what they had done. I ignored it and parked in the staff designation. I have had no problems since. Protect yourself don’t leave yourself open for the students to come after you. They can be great and wonderful. Always be careful