Practicum student attire

Discussion in 'General Education' started by vivalavida, May 28, 2012.

1. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

May 28, 2012

I will soon be a practicum student, assisting in a high school classroom. My university asks that we avoid dressing as students (ie. no jeans). What kind of attire would be appropriate without being over the top. For example, I would assume a business suit is a little much! What would you wear, or what would you prefer that your practicum student wear? Just curious! Thanks!

3. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

May 28, 2012

Khakis, belt, dress shoes, and collared or button-down shirt.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 28, 2012

Male:
    Khakis, dress pants, button down or dress shirt

Female:
    Skirts, dress pants, dresses, blouses, shells, cardigans, knit tops

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 28, 2012

I always wore dress pants with a nice shirt, either a button down or a nice sweater. Nothing revealing obviously! Make sure you have a pair of nice but comfy shoes too!

6. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

May 28, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I guess I am concerned about making myself look professional enough so as not to blend in with the students. Not too long ago I was in high school myself! I want to ensure that I give off a professional role rather than looking like another one of the students' peers.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 28, 2012

I agree with the above! This is what I did during student teaching, and now as a long term sub, and this is how I'm going to dress as a 'real' teacher :) :
    - dressed professionally all the time
    - wanted to make sure that I dress at the level of professionalism of the other teachers or above
    - didn't want to stand out, or over do it, so I didn't wear suits, etc (that wouldn't been too much)
    - I also followed the norm, so for example we had casual Fridays, when everyone wore jeans (and a lot of them put on tennis shoes). I wore jeans with a nice top and sandals.
    - I also kept it comfortable.

You want to look like a teacher, especially if you could be mistaken for a student, you need to take it to a higher level.the kids will respect you for it, too. They definitely pay attention to every little detail.

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 28, 2012

I always wore Dress Pants, Dress Shirt, and Tie. If it's really hot you can wear golf shirt but I wouldn't make it a habit.

9. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 28, 2012

Whoops. I wore jeans a lot this semester.

My favorite practicum outfits were:

- Black dress pants, navy button-down dress shirt, pink tie.
    - Dark wash blue jeans, dark purple button-down dress shirt (tucked), black blazer.
    - Grey dress pants, white dress shirt (tucked), grey blazer, silver tie.
    - Dark wash grey jeans, light blue dress shirt (tucked), navy sweater-vest
    - Navy dress pants, white dress shirt (tucked), brown cardigan, skinny black tie
    - Dark wash grey jeans, white dress shirt (tucked), dark grey dress vest, black tie

Hopefully that sparks some ideas. :)

10. teachart

teachart Comrade

May 28, 2012

Like other people have said, nice pants on the bottom, nice shirt on the top, modest and respectful. I'm in art so it's a little more relaxed, but if you think you are overdressed you are probably on track! I really knit tops that are essentially spruced up t-shirts. I'm about to buy some below-the-knee length skirts and capri pants too.

11. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 28, 2012

Dresses and cardigans with flats would be nice in warm weather. This is what I wear on most days. My school allows flip flops, but as a practicum student, your should wear closed-toe shoes.

In colder weather, dress pants or kakhi pants with cardigans would look nice. Also, I usually wear dresses with tights and flats.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 28, 2012

Sounds very dapper, Mike, with the dress shirts and all, and this goes to show that jeans can be accessorized up or down. Unfortunately, it's easier to police an absolute prohibition than it is to enforce a rule that gives leeway for judgment.

13. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 28, 2012

Of course if whatever school I get hired at has a ban on jeans, of course I'll comply. Until that happens, dapper it is! Actually, before the rest of the math department knew my name, I was dubbed "that fashionable guy". :lol:

The key to working with jeans is dressing "up" the other clothes, i.e. no high school student would be caught dead with a sweater-vest.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 28, 2012

Please - if you are a woman - with any top you purchase, do the bend-test. Bend over at the waist in front a mirror and make sure you can't see down your shirt.

I had one doing observations dressed like she was heading to the club.

Dress pants, dress tops, cardigans, and (nice) comfy shoes are a good place to start. I'd also contact your cooperating teacher when you can and ask about the dress code at school.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 28, 2012

Our principal had us stand up and practice the mirror checks we should do: bending over, reaching up, squatting down, and looking from all angles for each move.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 28, 2012

It can be very regional as well. Where I went to college (Michigan), we dressed at least 'business casual'. Here in North Carolina, I have had several practicum students and they always are in jeans.

I went to a job fair here in NC and people were in jean shorts and flip-flops. I was in a suit (in July- hot :eek:).

Regardless of where I was, I, personally, would wear nothing more casual than khakis and a nice top.

17. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

May 28, 2012

The clothes are definitely important, but don't forget other things as well. Make sure your hair is combed and looks clean. I had a roomie in college who would show up to practicums looking like she rolled out of bed. Nail polish is fine, just make sure there are no chips.

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 28, 2012

Even back when I was a substitute teacher, I've always worn the same type of attire: slacks, button down, and tie.

Fridays are reserved for jeans and a school spirit t-shirt/sweatshirt.

The other men on campus (aside from my principal and assistant principal) dress very, very casual (there's one male teacher who wears faded sweats--he's not a P.E. teacher, either!) :eek:

19. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

May 29, 2012

In warmer weather, I tend to wear flip flops or sandals, but I completely understand that closed-toe shoes are more appropriate. Does this leave ballet flats as the only option?? I can never seem to find a comfy pair that doesn't give me blisters! There must be a secret for all those teachers who wear professional shoes yet somehow survive being on their feet all day! :)

20. teachart

teachart Comrade

May 29, 2012

In my experience, the uglier they are, the more comfy :)
    Throughout all of my field experiences and volunteering I have worn a ugly pair of naturalizer loafers. As an art teacher, I am on my feet and moving the whole day, so these work.

I did just buy these in white though :
    http://www.zappos.com/soft-style-katerina?zfcTest=fw:1

And I am hoping I can wear them when I student teach - they super comfortable!

21. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

May 29, 2012

I heard a principal once say "If you can see up it, down it, or through it, DON'T WEAR IT"