Practicing Spelling words

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by 1stGradeNewbie, Nov 2, 2007.

1. 1stGradeNewbie

1stGradeNewbie Rookie

Nov 2, 2007

We just started our 2nd week of doing Spelling. How do you all practice Spelling words? Last week I had sentences on sentence strips and they had to place the spelling word that was written on a notecard in front of the word. I then had them write the sentence and circle the word. Any other suggestions?

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 2, 2007

I have a PowerPoint called Guess the Covered Word that I use just about each week with the kids. I change it to match the weekly spelling words. I can't find the link to it but I have the template saved. If you are interested in it I can email you the template. I have a Smartboard and we use it on there or you can do it right on the computer.

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 2, 2007

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 2, 2007

We do a daily center on spelling words. Since it is smaller groups we can do a lot of things.

Here is a sample week:

Monday (introduction day): Show the word, ask the students if they know it and then use it in a couple of sentences. Use wiki sticks and ask the students to identify words and 'underline' them using the wiki sticks.

Tuesday (word recognition day): Bingo

Wednesday (comprehension day): I tend to have different types of worksheets to have them practice how to use the words. I don't do straight fill in the blank or writing sentences all the time. Comprehension is really done all week but Wednesday is more focused. Sometimes I do a board game with question index cards.

Thursday and Friday (Drill): relay races, sparkle, shaving cream, etc.

6. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 2, 2007

I never just write the word. If we do write it we pyramid write it.
    e
    ei
    eig
    eigh
    eight

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 2, 2007

My student also like hangman.

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 2, 2007

I also do word shape. After they have done a few, I have them do their own. We also write ours in color code with markers (one of their favorite) eight

9. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Nov 9, 2007

We play Sparkle, write the words with shaving cream or dry erase markers on our desks, and outside with sidewalk chalk. In centers I let them write the words with glitter glue, paint pens, or gel pens.

For recognition, we also play "Whack-a-word". I write the words on index cards and tape them all around the room. I split the kids into four teams and give each team a fly swatter (mine are in the shape of a hand). I call a word and one person from each team walks around the room trying to find the word and "whack it." In the event of a couple of kids going for the word at the same time, I make them hold their flyswatter in place so that I can see who was first. This game can get a little wild, but with a few ground rules it is sooo much fun!

10. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Nov 14, 2007

We have 5 different spelling practice activities that the kids do throughout the week. We have 5 groups of tables and each set of tables works on a different activity. Their activity is posted on a wheel which we turn each day.

We have 1 worksheet that is passed out each week. They use it to record their work & it gives us a paper to check for accountabilty.

The 5 activities are:
    1. Word Shapes - their are premade boxes on the paper and the kids fill in the letters in the corresponding boxes. It helps them practice what we call the tall letters (t, h, d, etc.), the regular letters (a, c, v, etc.) & the dropping letters (g, y, p, etc.). Then they color in the boxes lightly w/ a crayon. (It's very similar to the link that Emma35 posted, but we had to make adjustments so that the boxes could be used for any words we assigned.)
    2. Whiteboards - they write the words 2x each on individual size whiteboards. They have a neighbor check it and initial their paper.
    3. Playdough - we have some sets of playdough kept in a "gladware" tub. The kids roll out the playdough and use a golf tee to gently write the words in the playdough. They have a neighbor check their work and initial their paper.
    4. Triple Play - the kids pick 3 crayons and write the words 3 times each on top of itself. (Kind of like tracing the word 3 times.)
    5. Rainbow Writing - the kids pick 2 color pencils and write the words 2 times each. They switch back and forth using the 2 colors for each letter as they write the words.

It takes a couple of weeks to teach them the activities and for them to get the hang of it. But once they understand how all the activities work, they're fairly quick spelling practice activities that they can do each day.

11. laf-a-lot

laf-a-lot Rookie

Nov 14, 2007

We practice them by making the letters with play doh, draw a picture and hide the words in the picture(hidden words), make bubbly letters, fancy curly letters, write the spelling words in ABC order...

12. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Nov 14, 2007

I just found this outstanding 1st grade teacher's website. She has TONS of great ideas! :2up: jmeacham.com

13. kgardner

kgardner Rookie

Nov 14, 2007

We practice them similar to word wall - kids come up with their own ideas too. Basketball (say each letter while "dribbling" an imaginary ball. Then say the word and "shoot" the ball), cheerleader (self-explanatory?), chef (mix each letter in a bowl then pull a cake out of the oven for the word), rock star (strum guitar for letters, hit drums for word), football ("hut hut" on letters, "touchdown" on word), there are tons more we've come up with together. I hope this makes sense- it is written in a choppy fashion. But basically it gets the kids out of their seats, they spell the word out loud (and they all want to participate!) then they say the word.
    I also have two students sit criss-cross at the front of the class. I say a word. The first to pop up spells it. If they have it correct, the other sits and a new child goes up. If it is wrong, the other child has a chance. If they both get it wrong, the entire class spells it together and the two students get another word.