Practicing Numbers 1-20

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by 1stGradeNewbie, Nov 24, 2008.

1. 1stGradeNewbie

1stGradeNewbie Rookie

Nov 24, 2008

I am teaching Special Ed this year, and am looking for some different, "creative" ways to practice identifying and writing numbers 1-20. (Besides the typical worksheet or writing with dry erase) I go into the regular classroom for approximately 15-30 minutes and am looking for some quick type activities (and something inexpensive!) that I could use with my Kindergartners.

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 24, 2008

Are you looking for them to understand the concept of teens or just to write the numbers? If you want them to understand the concept of teens, how about doing 10 and 1, 10 and 2, etc. It works like a charm for our kids (we actually have a material in the Montessori classroom that focuses on that.)

If you're looking for writing activities, how about making letters out of sandpaper and mounting on tagboard or mats? I usually put a dot on the # where the child starts, and then they can trace with their fingers. If the child doesn't have that kind of fine motor control yet, you can put tracing paper over them and do a rubbing with an oil pastel crayon. (think cray pas, available at michaels or art stores). Our kids love them.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 24, 2008

5. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Nov 24, 2008

I highly recommend HeidiSongs Jumpin Numbers songs or DVD. I use them with my pre-k students to help them identify the numbers 1-30 and they are fantastic. There are motions that go with each number so it is multisensory learning, this specifically helps students with learning disabilities so it may be right up your ally.

6. 1stGradeNewbie

1stGradeNewbie Rookie

Nov 24, 2008

I more so work on reinforcing and giving extra practice with identifying and being able to write the correct numbers. I'm usually working with them really quick at the end of a center, or in between, and also about 15 minutes of the free choice time.

7. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Nov 24, 2008

You can make small sandboxes with colored sand, with instruction cards with 2 steps on how to make each letter (7- line across top in one color, then slanted line down in the next step added in another color to show the difference). The kids can trace these in the sand. You can do the same thing making gel bags- hair gel, food coloring, zip lock bag, tape it closed. Have numbers cut out like puzzle pieces, and papers for the kids to build them on. Make a number line, cut out squares under each number on the number line, and put the dots to show the amount for the number. Have the kids practice writing the number on a sheet of paper placed under the number line (that is why the squares are cut out). Dye some small macaroni and have them glue it onto large numbers. They can make a book out of all of them when they are finished. What about number stamps?

I didn't click the links, so sorry if they are repeats. If you need anything explained better, let me know!

8. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Nov 24, 2008

Wikki-sticks to make the numbers, clay, shaving cream...have them write the number on a partner's back and then have the partner guess the number and then switch...they really have to pay close attention! Call a few children up and see if they can make the number lying down on the floor...if you have a chalkboard have them use a wet paintbrush and make the numbers on the board...they love how it magically disappears! :) I'm not sure where you are located but depending on the weather sidewalk chalk is a wonderful motivator!:) I hope this helps!

9. Lumi

Lumi Companion

Nov 26, 2008

If you have an overhead projector, make one transperancy for each number you would like to teach. Make the number large in a light color like yellow (if you have the ability to make color transperancies) or grey. In a center, shine the number up on a dry erase board. Give the children a dry erase marker and have them write the number on the board (they should say the number out loud as they are writing it). Have them turn the projector off and the number they have written with the marker will still be on the dry erase board. Give them on old (clean) sock to put on their hand and tell them to erase the number with it the same way they wrote it. Again, they should say the number out loud as they erase it. This will take some direct, whole group teaching before you can put them in a center with this activity.

Using gross motor movement of the arm and shoulder in a vertical position for writing the numbers is good practice for those kids who haven't mastered the fine motor coordination yet. You can use this as a letter reinforcement activity too and even a high frequency word activity.

10. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 27, 2008

Hey Vanna, I watched the ABC video which went from A-D. The motions are the same as the Zoo-Phonics I use. Do you know if all the motions are the same as Zoo-Phonics?

11. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Nov 27, 2008

Yes, Heidi uses Zoo Phonics as the motions for all of her A-Z songs.

12. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 27, 2008

Wow! I'm in. Is the number DVD as engaging as the alphabet?

13. harbodin

harbodin Companion

Nov 28, 2008

Here are some games I use:

Musical Numbers (with number squares)
    Tic Tac Toe (write numbers in blocks, kids are in two groups and they have to be able to tell you the number to put their x or o in)
    Flyswatter game (write the numbers you are reviewing on a the board-I laminate chart paper to reuse-and two kids come up with pointer sticks or flyswatters and you call out a number and the fastest to touch it wins)
    Count and move (pull a number and chose an activity-jump, stomp, etc)
    relay (call a two students to come up and call out a number for them to write)
    zip it (from dr jean-type up the numbers you want to review out of order down the left side of the paper and put into a slider zipper bag, you call out a number and they "zip" it to the number)
    make numbers with play do
    write numbers on white boards
    use clean wet paint brushes to "paint" numbers on the board
    dot stamp numbers
    dr. jean has a great math cd with lots of great songs on it

14. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 28, 2008

I turn off the lights and pull down the shades. I gather the children on the rug with my flashlight. I sing "Where is 2, where is 2?" I give the flashlight to a child who shines it on the number and says "Here I am, Here I am." I do it with the alphabet and they love it.
    I also clap and do other things so many times. The children have to listen to see how many times I do it.

15. KinderBelle

KinderBelle Rookie

Dec 9, 2008

An idea I haven't read yet, make the numbers using geoboards.

16. ~Evolution~

~Evolution~ Rookie

Dec 10, 2008

Bingo - cards can be any size appropriate (3x2, 4x4 etc.)
    For variation have the cards include a variety of number representations such as numerals, words, pictures, tally marks, dots etc. Having students work in pairs can help with this activity.

Buzz Game - pick a number (eg. 4) and the students count around in a circle 1,2,3,BUZZ,5,6,7,BUZZ etc. in denominations of that number. Alternatively, you can start back at 1 once the BUZZ number is reached (1,2,3,BUZZ.1,2,3,BUZZ)

Other ideas -
    -'Snap' Game using numerals with pictures or words
    -Memory game using numerals with pictures or words