Practice at Home

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by MissR, Jul 23, 2008.

1. MissR

MissR Comrade

Jul 23, 2008

I put together a list that I want to give my parents so they have ideas for what to practice with their first grader at home. I broke it up by subject and put everything I could think of for the whole year. Did I miss anything important? Are there fun ideas you would add? I'd love input! :thanks:

(I hope it pastes well!)

Here are some activities you and your first grader can do together to help him or her become a better reader, writer and thinker. The more you practice, the better off your student will be, but don’t worry, it doesn’t have to take up a lot of your time. Many of these activities can easily be done just on a car ride home or while setting the dinner table.

Reading:

Say a sound and have him/her tell you the letter or cluster that makes that sound
    Say a word and have him/her break it into its sounds (ex: mop = /m/ /o/ /p/)
    Write down nonsense words that consist of one consonant, one vowel and one consonant and have him/her sound it out and blend it into a word (baf, ril, jad)
    Read signs outside
    Visit your local library and let him/her pick out a book independently
    Practice reading sight words with flash cards or find them in texts
    Read a book
    • if s/he struggles with a word try looking at the picture, sounding it out, or skipping it and coming back to it
    • see if s/he can find a word you specify
    • identify the title, author, and illustrator of a book
    • ask “Who were the characters in the story?”
    • ask “What were 3 events that happened?”
    • ask “What was the problem?” “What was the solution?”
    • have your student retell the story in his/her own words
    • ask comprehension questions like “What happened when…?” and “Who was the one that…?”
    • ask your student how s/he thinks one of the characters felt
    • talk about what the story reminds you of or compare it with another story you know

Act out a story you’ve read

Writing:

Practice handwriting – writing on the lines, no backwards letters, forming letters correctly

Practice writing a plan for a paragraph (Topic and 3 detail words)

Practice writing a paragraph with topic sentence, three detail sentences and a conclusion sentence that restates the topic

• Make sure when writing a sentence, your student puts spaces between words and uses the sounds they know to help him/her spell a word (it’s okay if it’s an unknown word and they don’t spell it perfectly)
    • Make sure sentences have a capital at the beginning and period at the end.

Identify verbs, nouns and adjectives

Write a letter to someone including a greeting, body and closing

Find the subject and predicate of a sentence

Spelling/Vocabulary:

Point out and label interesting things wherever you go

Play ‘I Spy’ but try spelling what you spy

Play ‘Memory’ with word cards

Write a simple word and see if your student can make a new word by changing or adding one letter

Don’t be afraid to use big words with your first grader and explain what they mean

Practice writing words in sand or shaving cream

Math:

Count to 100

Count by 2’s, 5’s and 10’s to 100

Talk about coins and count money – sing the money song!

Sing or say the months of the year

Sing or say the days of the week

Look at a calendar and ask questions like “What day of the week will it be on the 10th?” and “What date will Wednesday be?”

Write a number and have your student identify the ones, tens, and hundreds place

Dictate a digit to go in the tens place and a digit to go in the ones place and have your student write it

Practice telling time (especially to the hour and half hour) on an analog clock

Practice adding two numbers

Practice subtracting two numbers

When your student solves a problem ask, “How do you know?” or “How did you figure that out?”

Measure things around the house lining the ruler up correctly with the end of the item being measured

Other cognitive skills:

Look at maps together, find where you are and/or places you’ve been

Sing the ‘Continents and Oceans’ song and point them out on the map

Talk about why and how you make a grocery list

Give your student opportunities to make some decisions during a day

Have your student help you cook – follow a recipe, measure ingredients, set a timer

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 23, 2008

Are you going to send the whole list home at the beginning of the year, or make the suggestions as you cover the topics in class?

4. MissR

MissR Comrade

Jul 23, 2008

I'm not sure yet. I may make the whole list available online and/or at open house and then send something home monthly. What do you think?

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2008

I wouldn't have them practice anything you haven't thouroughly taught in class.

That's a lot of stuff. I think if you present it in one big lump, parents will get overwhelmed and most of your list will get tossed.

6. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 24, 2008

That was my thought too. In my weekly newsletter, I include what we are working on. This might be a good way for you to give parents your ideas for practicing at home. You could also do it montly as you mentioned.

7. JBteach

JBteach Companion

Jul 24, 2008

How about add some fun websites to reinforce some of the skills that need to be practiced

8. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Jul 24, 2008

The parents are probably going to need the lyrics to the various songs you mention. (e.g. the money song, the continents song)

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2008

We (the other 1st grade teacher & I ) sent home sight word list (actually printed on construction paper & put into squares so the kids could work on them). We started sending them home in I think October in groups of like 25 to work on for a month or 2 then another list to add to it. We tried to use words that were also from our reading & other subjects to help reinforce.

I agree with the newletter thing. I did that pretty regularly. We are working on this ask your child to show you how well they do or explain to you what we've worked on.

10. MissR

MissR Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

Oh, if only I could make myself do a weekly newsletter! Diznee, I like the idea of printing the sight words so they can make them into flash cards if they like! I just wanted a list to go off of so the ideas were easier to put together when the time came and so I hopefully wouldn't forget to add anything important later on. Thanks for the input!

11. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jul 24, 2008

I think sending it home monthly is a good idea. That was you tell them what you plan on teaching that mounth or just what they will be doing. Like in Feb. for example, you could say we will be discussing The presidents in recognision of presidents day. you know that kinda thing.

12. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

When i taught K i only had ten kiddies so i had the free time to send home a weekly newsletter that parents loved! i told them the theme we'd be working on, sight words we were studying, books we'd be reading and any interesting projects we'd be working on as well as activities to keep them involved on the home front. Parents enjoyed being involved and liked knowing what was going on. Now that i'm starting first in a public school i just don't think i'm going to be able to send a weekly newsletter home, but i am going to make myself send home a monthly newsletter to keep parents involved and up to date on what we're doing and how they can help out at home! I like the idea of including fun links to websites and games for students to do at home.

13. 1234

1234 Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

I loved the list. I am not a teacher but check this site out for activities to go over with my kids. I was going to ask what things I could go over with my child before school starts. This will help. I doubt I will get to evertything but something is better then nothing - right? My child always wants to play school and learn something new. I am a teacher want a be - so I gether info when we play school.

Thanks for all the ideas!

14. 1234

1234 Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

I forgot to ask.. could you give me the lyrics to the songs you mentioned?