PPR and ACP's

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by suzerich, Aug 12, 2009.

1. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Aug 12, 2009

Have those of you in ACP programs in Texas taken the PPR yet. I have heard that alot of districts will not hire you unless you have passed the PPR. I'm taking it this Saturday. I don't know if it is the reason I'm not getting interviews, but I thought it was worth a try. I may also take the ESL supplemental.

3. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Aug 12, 2009

I don't think that's the reason you're not getting interviews. How would they even know if you've passed it yet?

I am ACP and I secured an internship for August and I have not taken the PPR. I will take it sometime during the school year, likely before January.

I have also taken the ESL supplemental. My suggestion is to look into private and charter schools also. There is less competition and it will get you fully certified. You will become much more marketable for next year.

Good luck.

4. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Aug 12, 2009

I don't know, just wondered. In the interview that I did have, he specifically asked if I had passed the PPR yet. I've also heard from other new teachers that their programs told them that school districts may not hire them without taking it.

5. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

I haven't taken it. My program won't LET me take it until getting hired or paying the entire program fee.

I have an ACP teacher/coach friend and he's been teaching for THREE YEARS and just now passed the PPR.

Several schools that I talked to actually recommended waiting a little bit after starting teaching to take the PPR because it'll have more significance to you. I plan to take it as soon as I stop feeling overwhelmed with starting the year.

I heard a lot of conflicting information at job fairs and in interviews. It drove me nuts. We're already at a disadvantage being ACP, so it would be nice to get some solid information from people who should know.

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 12, 2009

I was coming from out of state and was not certified in Texas. Several districts told me that I would not be hired until I got my Texas certificate and that many districts would not even consider me for an interview until I was fully certified. Luckily I did get hired and I immediately took the tests because my job was basically contingent upon me passing those tests. I am not sure how this applies to your situation. I am in the DFW area.:)

7. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Aug 13, 2009

My program suggested that they would approve PPR only after one got an internship, but then I got an email later saying I could take it. So I've passed my content and PPR exams. Just need a job now.

I agree that some alt cert programs do not seem to be very organized or on top of the relevant information.

8. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Aug 13, 2009

I haven't taken it yet and have a job (internship) for this year.

9. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Aug 13, 2009

My alternative teaching program wants me to either secure a job or do the student teaching and then do the ppr test to get fully certified. Since I don't have a job as of right now I'm doing the student teaching.

10. slajoyintexas

slajoyintexas Rookie

Aug 13, 2009

I got a job after just taking the content exams. My understanding is that we have to pass the PPR during the course of the internship.

11. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2009

I am ACP, began teaching in August 2008, took the PPR in May 2009.

Some of the members of my ACP class took the test before they even finished the ACP training.

It's a rock and a hard place -- it's easier if you take the PPR after you have some teaching experience under your belt, but most districts now will not hire ACP unless they have taken ALL tests required.

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 13, 2009

I asked my P today. Our policy as a district is that if a teacher is not fully certified in our state, they are not considered highly qualified. The district/school lose points when this happens. Their policy is that you must have your full certification.

13. BLHutch25

BLHutch25 Rookie

Aug 13, 2009

I am an ACP person. I took and passed my content tests and then was offered my position for the upcoming year. I am on a probationary certificate this year and it will become a full one at the end of the year provided that:

1. I take and pass the PPR
    2. My principal recommends me for my standard cert.
    3. My ACP provider recommends me for my standard cert.
    4. I complete 50 hours of in service

(I have already done all of my ACP training.)

So to answer your question, I have not taken my PPR yet. My ACP provider will not allow you to do that until you are already employed. You take it during your "Internship" year.

BLH

14. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 13, 2009

:hugs:sounds like there are conflicting results on the whole ACP training. Good luck. I know you will figure it out.

15. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Aug 13, 2009

Thanks for all the comments. We had to take a session of 4 chat sessions called a Pre Service Training Workshop. After this, we are released to take the PPR. I actually took the workshop last summer. I've completed almost all my training (all online), passed the content tests, and am waiting on a job somewhere. I'm taking it on Saturday, so I'll see how I do. If I don't pass it, I'll wait until I have an actual job lined up to take it again.

16. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Aug 13, 2009

Did you do any substutiting to get some teaching experience?

17. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Aug 15, 2009

Just thought I'd let you know that I took the test today. I think I did okay. I think I probably passed it, but I won't know for sure until I get the test results early this week. If you have a chance to take it early, I'd do it.

18. BLHutch25

BLHutch25 Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

Yes. When I was a junior in college (12 years ago), I subbed for a semester. I got credit for that.

BLH

19. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Aug 18, 2009

I PASSED it

Hey guys, I PASSED the PPR, just barely squeeked by at a very low 245, not great, but I passed. I didn't study much, so that is reflected.

20. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2009

Congratulations!

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2009

:thumb:

22. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 18, 2009

All you have to do is pass! Congratulations!:)