PowerPoints

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by aprodrig24601, Oct 30, 2012.

1. aprodrig24601

aprodrig24601 New Member

Oct 30, 2012

Hi All,

I was wondering. How many of you actually post your powerpoints to your class websites (if you have one) for the kids to study. Sometimes I feel like it's a crutch..however..if it helps them...it may be worth it.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

3. Accountable

Accountable Companion

Oct 30, 2012

Our standards require high rigor and higher order thinking. Powerpoint doesn't help with that, but it gives foundational information to use in higher order thinking. I say post it, print it, send it to their i-phones ... but write the test so that they still have to use those thinking and reasoning skills.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2012

A crutch? Really?

5. HTCC

HTCC Rookie

Oct 30, 2012

I started the year off using ppt. My students would try to write everything down but never went back later to make sense of their notes. So I thought it would be helpful to give them the ppt so they had the basic info and could add the additional info as I taught. Instead they sat and stared at me or didn't pay attention at all because they thought they had everything they needed given to them. And then they didn't even study the ppt. So I've gone old school, me and a whiteboard. I make them take notes. They hate it, but I feel like they're at least doing "something" and hopefully it'll translate into using their brains instead of them expecting to be spoonfed info. I was a college instructor so honestly I'm trying to prepare them for college by getting them used to putting in the effort now so that even if their college professors give them ppt they know how to take and review notes.

6. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Oct 30, 2012

I print out my PowerPoints and give them to students to use for notetaking as we go through the slides. I have put them on my website before, but that's not completely necessary since the students already have the hard copies of them.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 30, 2012

I hate PPT, and if I had textbooks, I wouldn't use them. Students mindlessly copy from them and then think that's all they have to know. So frustrating! They ask, "Do I need to write this down, or are you going to put it on Moodle?" I hate it! I do not put them online for them. If I did, no one would pay attention in class.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2012

If PPT is a crutch, then so is the textbook. They're both just different ways to present information.

If students aren't using PPT the right way and are just mindlessly copying stuff down, then I would argue that the teacher isn't using PPT the right way. There are ways to make PPTs interactive, even with very basic cloze-type slides.

I use PPTs for showing pictures and giving very brief (like 2-3 words per slide) bits of information. The PPT is only a jumping-off point for the discussion/lesson--it's not the lesson itself.

I do post my PPTs to Edmodo for students to download, save, print, whatever. I even let them print the PPTs ahead of time and bring them on the day we're going over the PPT so that, gasp, they don't have to copy anything down at all. It saves time and it lets them really focus on the material that I'm presenting.

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 30, 2012

I use my PPTs to give students the information they need to use to fill out their cornell notes. The notes require them to do extra work to formulate questions for each note they take, and to write summaries of the notes at the bottom, so they neatly package a few higher-order thinking skills, and they can use the questions to study from.

I do post my powerpoints onto my website (or more accurately, I share them using Google Docs), but I don't think I've explicitly taught them that they were there, or if I did, they didn't really care.

It's mostly for students who are missing a few days, they can go to the website, print the notes, and use the powerpoint to fill in the blanks. It's also useful for kids who lose a lot of papers or assignments in my class, but have parents who actually care, and they go through the website with their kids and find all the missing work they lost, and get it to them.

There are also certain things that aren't on the website because they were not made digitally (i.e. hand-written guides and notes)

It's rather nice, and if any kid thinks they don't need to take notes in my class or do the work because it's on the website they've got another thing coming.

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 31, 2012

My PowerPoints contain media, terms, dates, names, and places. They have to listen to be able to explain and define the terms there. I do post the PowerPoints before each of my lectures. Students are free to bring them to class and look at them as they take notes.