powerpoint for beginning of year procedures

Discussion in 'General Education' started by munchkin, Jul 28, 2007.

1. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 28, 2007

Anyone ever done a powerpoint presentation to start off the school year on procedures?:confused: ?
    I was listening to the Marjan Glavac interview of Harry Wong, from the Busyeducator.com/wong.htm Adam Waxler recommend it....
    The subject is classroom procedures, the dates are October2000 & Nov2004 teachers.net there are others, but that gives you the gitzs of it... But just how many slides does a teacher need to have??!! Theres one for entering class, exiting a class, passing papers, morning routines....
    Maybe I am just going abit overboard!!

3. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Jul 28, 2007

I would love to utilize a power point, but until my SmartBoard is installed, I only have the small tv in the corner to show it on. Students can't really read that.

A few people on here have created presentations, maybe they would be willing to share. (hint, hint :p )

4. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 28, 2007

I have one for the first day. It doesn't have procedures but it does have rules and consequences and some info about myself. For procedures I made a video. I will try to figure out how to post it. I don't have a website so I wonder how I will do that.

5. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 28, 2007

Go to The teachers.net site, check out previous issues, look under classroom procedures, harry wong. I am pretty sure the October 2000 and November 2004 are the ones I looked at. But seriously, look under classroom procedures on that website, that'll connect you from there.:huh:

Since, I don't have my own classroom yet, I am not sure how to get the slide show working, on my own computer. My son's has a special chip that allows it to be connected to a TV(small or large doesn't matter, its just a wire) YOur media center at school should have the ability to help you. IF all else fails, talk to the tech guys from your district office, they definitely should have the equipment to lend your school.:blush:
    Truthfully, I was going to try to use it on my interview on Monday to show the principal.:whistle:

6. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

I have one that I can send out. I can only do it as a ppt. though-I converted it to a .pdf but it is to big of a file for yahoo to send. PM me if you would like a copy.

7. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2007

I am thinking about doing it- kind of an introduction to both my rules & my projector system.

I was just afraid it would be "boring". Anyone else do this?

8. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

I have put together 2 ppts - one for rules, consequences and one to introduce myself. I ran them by my two elem age daughters. They thought they were "neat." I think it's just something different from what they're used to. :)

9. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 28, 2007

Well Jenny
    I went back to the teachers.net/WONG/Mar07 and scrolled down about 2/3rds the way and look for Karen Rogers. Click on the blue <<here>> .Her ppt is 41 slides long!! Now that's for Highschool, so I'd just pick and choose. I did likee here Absence Procedure, a couple other points. I think its kinda long:yawn: to show something like that in one sitting, but if you broke it down to areas like AngelM... I could see that it would be good. ....Especially if ya served popcorn!! just kidding.:lol:

10. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 28, 2007

Have you used it for the beginning of the year? what was the feedback that you got? Did you also provide the students with hard copies, or how did you handle them remembering all this info...
    Somewhere in that 8 hour search of that site, I saw a "assessment" test that a teacher, gave her kids . (it Counted for a science and a language arts grade) I think it was in August 2006 issue.
    IS that going too far? I mean you do want them to remember the procedures...

11. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

I make hard copies also, a full size hard copy in the library for reference and another copy in our sub folder. I copied all of the powerpoints into publisher and have them four slides to a page. Each student gets a bound mini copy.

I break mine up with "let's practice" pieces

12. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 28, 2007

Haven't done it, but I think it would be a stellar idea! It would be neat to take pictures of your kids from the year before following the rules, doing the procedures, showing what to do and what not to do. Kids would love that!

13. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 28, 2007

I have transfered my syllabus to power point form and added a few things for a begining of the year power point for my class.

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 28, 2007

I have done powerpoints for the first day, and my kids loved it! It just covers the basic info you would tell them anyway, but it's presented in a different format, so they really enjoyed it. I also have a follow-up powerpoint for day 2 that reviews it Jeopardy style. You can get a blank powerpoint Jeopardy game at http://www.hardin.k12.ky.us/res_techn/tec/gamesthatteach.htm

15. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 28, 2007

I have one for my kindergartners that I use all year long.
    I have between 3 and 4 auto changing slides that remind them in one word and a picture about what they are to do as they enter the room. Slide one is unpack with a school bag on it. Slide two is turn in your folder with a picture of the folder. Slide three is whatever they are to work on when they are done with a matching picture. The fourth slide is to put their books in the basket on library day.
    It works very well. I also used it when I taught fifth grade. There was just a lot more in the way of words on it.
    Since our students come in slowly over a 15 minute time period, this really made things streamline.

16. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 28, 2007

My kids LOVED the powerpoint I showed them on the first day. They gave me a big round of applause afterwards.:D
    The best thing about it was that with just a few modifications, I was able to use the same powerpoint for back to school night. I do all of my vocabulary and word knowledge lessons on powerpoint. The kids really dig it (the principal does too!).
    If anybody knows how to upload it, I am more than willing to share. Maybe I can email it to somebody and they can temporarily put it on their website?
    Then all you would have to do is take off my name, insert yours, and basically just modify it to display your class rules.

17. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

18. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 28, 2007

OOh! I did it. It took me 4 hours, but I finally figured out how to post a link for my procedure movie! You should be able to view it if you have windows media player. I am still working on editing it, so the ending is weird. I also want to add narration (sp).

19. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Jul 30, 2007

For: Ulcalum

I watched your video and I enjoyed seeing how your students know your procedures so well. I am curious to know the answer to the last question. What are the tickets for?

20. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 30, 2007

I took the unfinished ppt to my interview, and they loved the idea. It would be awesome to use at Open house for large groups of parents. I think that is the second use I will do IF I get this position.
    Heck, it was a great experience thinking all of the proceedures through in increments, made me really think about what exactly WERE my expectations for a well managed classroom. That's the gist of the feedback that I got from that interview panel too.
    Uclalum, I hope I can get to see your video... I am not sure this computer is up for it, but I'll definitely try it out on a more "updated" computer when I get the chance.
    Thanks everyone for your imput.

21. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 30, 2007

WOW! uclalum. Really good video!! Can I share with other schools? :2up:

22. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 30, 2007

Mhcooley,
    I think the tickets are for a prize box, or for extra priveleges given. I've seen that sort of thing before alot, especially in the schools I sub in. Itemphasises a positive behavior reward system vs the negative bad behavior punishments! The BB goal shooting is a big hit in the schools I've worked in, even in high school.

23. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Jul 30, 2007

Wow I really loved your video! I think I'm going to use your behavior management chart--it looks real effective! Thanks! :)

24. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 30, 2007

Hee-hee!:D The tickets are for the class store. The class store is just a gigantic tub filled with all kinds of stuff that I sell for tickets.
    Many times people ask me how often I do the class store. The answer? Whenever I have time. I tell the kids that I am owner of the store and I can make the hours whatever I want! Sometimes I tell them the store is closed for inventory purposes and they smile because they know that "inventory purposes" means that I am in the process of getting new goodies!

I wish I could of shown the whole movie but the service that provides the link (Mydeo) doesn't let me upload larger files so I had to make the movie two parts.

25. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 30, 2007

I unfortunately have to say no about sharing the video with other schools. I have no problem sharing the video for your personal use. If the video was just me showing the procedures and would say YES!!! But...I'm not those kids parents, you know what I mean? I just don't want to get myself into trouble.

But, I do love sharing! I can also share my first day of school powerpoint. This you can share with other schools because there aren't any kids in it!

:p

26. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 30, 2007

Steal Away!!! I made the chart myself using colored cardboard, chart rings, and press on stickers.:D

27. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

WOW! I think that is a great video uclalum! I really like your lining up procedures. I am dying to know what the tickets are for. Please tell us!!!!!

28. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 31, 2007

I had a feeling that would be the case.... showing a video with kids in it, privacy act and all that. But, the idea is fantastic. HOpe I can "borrow" the idea when I get my own permanent classroom.
    What's the connection for the ppt.??

29. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

Hello! I replied to Mhcooley above regarding the same question.:D

Maybe I should post the second part of the movie so you all can see.:D

30. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

Your movie was AWESOME!!!! What a great way to show new students your procedures. I got a few ideas from your movie as well that I hope to use with my kindergarteners.
    Thank you so much for sharing that!!!!