Power Teaching!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Miss Kirby, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 21, 2008

Okay so I remember someone posted about the "Crazy Professor" reading game a few months ago. I was playing around on YouTube and came across some more videos from the same "Power Teaching" management system. WOW! There are videos for different grade levels and also an overview. This seems so neat - and a great way to engage all of your kids. I want to try this after spring break!! Hmmmmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBeWEgvGm2Y

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2008

I have tried a handful of the techniques, no where near all of them, and have found them to be great. Just one part of the management system has taken my classroom management issues and thrown them out the window! My classes run great!

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 21, 2008

I can see some of these may be good, but seriously, it would drive me nuts to have the kids talking in unison all the time. I think I will try the "class, yes" when we turn and talk during read aloud or guided reading, but I wouldn't do it all day. When I watched more of the videos on Youtube, it was looking like they did it for every lesson (morning meeting, calendar, grammar, science... it looked like it was ALL day!) I would have a headache listening to that all day! Also, do the kids internalize everything or are they just parroting what we want them to say?

5. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Mar 21, 2008

Kinda seems like you have a class full of robots....How can you individually assess when they are just repeating what you say?
    Also, I have fifth grade and while I think many students would respond positively technique, at least 3 or 4 students come to mind who would try to play the "too cool for this" card....
    I dunno...

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 21, 2008

After I posted I went back to sleep and had nightmares about power teaching! I'm completely serious! What I do now is they turn and talk and in their own words summarize what we have read or answer a question I give them. I think this does keep them engaged and then when we are done the partners share their ideas with the group.

Occasionally, I will have them repeat after me something VERY important. We are doing country reports and I am breaking it down for them a bit. I said today you will ONLY take notes on the land and it's features? What? The land and it's features! Are you going to take notes on the history? No, the land and it's features. The animals? No, the land and it's features... everyone took notes on the land and it's features so it worked. I have done that all of maybe a dozen times this year. Drive a point home when it matters. Not all day every day! Oy!

I also had a dream that give me five stopped working too, though. AHHHH! I have a HUGE day ahead of me today with a major project and all the parents coming to be part of it! I also usually would have left the house 15 minutes ago, and so I know the day is going to be good!

7. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2008

Read the guys free book available on his website before you decide their is no assessment or the kids are just parreting what is being said.

google Chris Biffle.

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 21, 2008

Right, I don't think I would do this ALL DAY. But as shown in the sixth grade video (I think that one is my favorite) there are some things the kids just need to memorize and learn and it helps so much to pair the listening to the teacher with the movements and talking with a partner. It encourages a high level of participation and kids are engaged and not falling asleep or picking at their shoes!

I haven't even tried this yet so I'm just talking based on my opinion of it! Not my experience.

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 21, 2008

I did the class, yes thing today all day and the kids loved it. My give me five was sort of losing effect and this totally re-energized them. I didn't try any of the other stuff.

10. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Mar 21, 2008

I think the power teaching sounds cool. I can see where it would be effective for certain groups of students. I am going to try it with my current class because they love to talk. The problem is that they talk when they're not supposed to and won't when I want them to. I think this high energy teaching might be what I need to get them to participate. I'm going to try certain aspects when we return from Easter break.

11. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Mar 21, 2008

Hi guys. I have been using Power Teaching for several months now, and it has become an integral part of my classes.

I teach 8th grade Science. I can tell you they are not just parroting. Using Power Teaching gets the students active, and introduces concepts utilizing all three learning modes- visual, auditory, and kinesthetic.

Using all three modes simultaneously builds dendrites much more effectively than traditional methods (see the latest brain based learning information as explained by Marcia Tate).

I have introduced Power Vocabulary to the arsenal of Power Teaching. It is extremely effective. Yesterday we had dozens of visitors at my school in connection with a massive grant we have. I asked the kids to identify the hand sign I showed them, and give the definition. Several were able to do so. This was a term they learned fourteen weeks ago!

I have seen retention, and performance increasing dramatically. The high energy approach keeps the kids involved, and interested, and has proven its effectiveness empirically.

There are a few kids who try to play the 'too cool card', but the cornerstone of the Power Teaching Classroom Management components build a strong culture of positive peer pressure.

Power Teaching includes a complete classroom management and teaching methods approach which are very flexible, and infinitely useful thus far.

I have fifteen years in the classroom, and was burned out and ready to leave the profession. Before reaching the burn out point I was twice voted 'Most Memorable Teacher' by graduating seniors. I had taught them as 7th graders. Power Teaching has taken me to a level I have never achieved before as a teacher!

I use these techniques with my 8th graders, and with the college history classes I teach with equal effect.

Feel free to contact Chris Biffle, he is very personable and helpful. Tell him Jeff, his East Coast Power Teacher sent you.

If you are seriously interested in the impact this can have on you r classroom, and the enormous advantage it represents to your students I would like to invite you to look at the blog I have started, with Chris Biffle's blessing, that walks you through the steps to becoming a Power Teacher. PM me for the link or go to classroompower (dot com).

You cannot at this moment imagine how much these techniques will increase your effectiveness in the classroom, and elevate your enjoyment for teaching and your students' love or learning.

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Mar 21, 2008

I, too am a Chris Biffle fan. I purchased his Crazy Professor game e-book (and I was the one who originally posted about it a few months ago), have viewed all of his videos (have even shown them to some teachers I know), and am in the process of assimilating all of the information on his website, which has been recently updated with new, FREE, stuff! I did use many of his techniques when I was student teaching a 3rd grade class last fall, and have even used some methods as a substitute teacher this spring. I can't wait to have my own classroom!

Hello, Jeff -- so nice to finally meet another Biffle-ite! I could no agree with everything you have so elegantly stated more. Chris has been VERY supportive to me, even as a (broke) student teacher! While I don't currently have my own classroom, I know that my 3rd graders loved all of the methods I used with them, and so did the administration of the school in which I taught. The assistant principal in charge of curriculum has asked me to write a synopsis of the Power Teaching methods with which she will approach the principal (and school board).

I don't find that Power Teaching has the children repeating teacher statements like robots. Rather, I find that it gets them interested and allows them to move while they learn. It also assures that they are paying closer attention to the reading selection, encourages them to "act out" the story while reading it, and has an enormous positive effect on comprehension!

I hope no one minds that I post his address, but here it is: http://homepage.mac.com/chrisbiffle/Menu38.html. I find his methods fascinating!

13. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Mar 22, 2008

Wldywall (and others),
    Sorry if I seemed like I was being juedgmental, that was only my opinion after watching watching the video once. That's how it seemed to me and that's why I asked. As far as the parroting thing, I was more referring to the stuff like "rub your hands together and say tell your partner how excited you are to know this" rather than the actual content. Personally I just don't think I would use that part of it with my current gorup of studnts.

Of course no one can argue that using different modes of participation increase retention and understanding. I use kinesthetic movements constantly with my clas and am amazed at how much it helps. Has anyone ever heard of Quantum Learning? I went to a workshop a couple of months ago and they taught some strategies that seem pretty similar to this guy. There is somthing called a narrative chain that you can use to teach hard to memorize information. It links important terms to hand gestures, while being embedded in a story. I used it with my class back in November to teach them the names of groups of animals (i.e. a group of lions is called a pride), and even this week I asked what a group a toads is called, and 90% of my class yelled out "a knot!" while doing the hand gesture.
    Pretty cool stuff.

14. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Mar 22, 2008

So far it looks really cool to me. Sure, you're always going to have the "too cool" kids, but learning this way is sure more exciting than sitting and listening to a teacher talk on and on. When something is presented to the class in a fun way and not in a condescending way, they'll go with it. The "Oh Yeah" and the "YEEeess" make it fun to be kind of sarcastic too. I'm going to try this out after spring break. We are in need of a refreshing change. Those of you who have been using this method, does it wear out and get old? How do you keep it fresh and exciting when using it all the time?

Never was it mentioned in the video that these teachers do it all day long. I'm sure they also have time for independent work, too. In secondary schools, classes are short and this looks like it would keep people awake!

15. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2008

It looks like fun to me. I'm thinking of trying it with one class after spring break (2 more weeks :crosseyed). The class I'm thinking of is pretty well behaved and I won't mind telling them it's an experiment and getting their feedback on it.

16. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Mar 22, 2008

It is a whole lot easier to keep this method from getting old than it is traditional methods!

The more you use the methods the more you will see ways to change it up, and the more more you will get ideas on applying new methods. PM me for the link, and check out my blog to learn how to do Power Vocabulary, and I will continue to introduce more changes and new stuff as I discover it, and you should feel free to drop a comment, and explain new things you guys have started to use.

The blog actually walks you through the step you should take in order. First establish the classroom management components. Check the pages and look for Power Teaching: The Basic Steps.

I still intersperse some traditional methods, and alter them with power teaching methods to make them more fun.

I have never enjoyed teaching, nor felt I have had such a tremendous impact with the kids as I do now!

17. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Mar 27, 2008

I started using the Power Teaching strategies on Monday morning right after the break. The kids like it, and I am enjoying my day more.
    It's going to be even better when I start using the techniques from day 1 of next school year. After just one week, my classroom has been a more positive place than it was before the break. The kids have noticed, and they're talking about how "happy" it is. Keep your dear teacher happy! I love it. :lol:

I printed out the rules and other visuals to show them as I explained how it works. I'm looking into the Power Vocabulary part now. This is great!

18. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Mar 27, 2008

I have found that it is really good, particularly with middle schoolers, if you explain why you are doing this, and how it accesses all three learning modes at once, and allows them to remember the information better while having more fun in class.

If you have any questions, or want to share some of the things you discover, please feel free to do so, I would live to hear from you.

19. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 27, 2008

I spent a lot of time on his website. I will print out his free downloads at school (don't want to use up my printer ink ;)). I think I will start this with a small group of my students first (I think my younger ones will get a kick out of it and I think since they are constantly responding verbally they will focus for longer periods and thankfully it could be while my teacher assistants who hate change will be out mainstreaming my older students) and then I will slowly introduce it to my other students.

20. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 27, 2008

Ok, ok, I was harsh about this as well.

However, I do the "class, yes" thing a lot now (intermixed with Give me Five) and today did the Super 1000 reading thing. I had found that from another link, and just now connected it was the same creator. I don't know how I missed it. The kids had fun with it.

21. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Mar 27, 2008

I am excited that so many people are getting into this method. I can tell you it works best when integrated with all the basic pieces. If you have any questions about how to do that or you want to see some new ideas- Power Vocabulary, the power of Woo, Freeword-Keyword, drop by my blog (classroompower.com) or PM me.

22. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 27, 2008

I started using "Class - Yes". The kids love it but seriously they don't get that I need them to LOOK at me, not just stop talking. And a few kids don't get that they are supposed to stop talking! A lot of them just don't give me that eye contact which is needed for giving directions. Grrrr. We just keep going it again and again and again and again............ "Hands and Eyes" is working well too but it's kind of the same situation as "Class - Yes". Ugh first grade!

They have fun with "Teach - Okay" but I haven't used it that much yet! Only a few times. I have like five kids who just sit there staring into space. One thinks he's too cool and the others just don't pay attention or ever participate. So hopefully this will get better as we practice it.

I've been doing bonus minutes for PAT and we do the "oh yeah". But they have so much fun with the "oh yeah" they start talking about it - so they lose their bonus minute! I never took away time - but this is bonus minutes not time they earned for regular PAT so I think it's fair.

23. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2008

I'm going to try some of these classroom management techniques on Monday. I use some of my own like "Magic 5" and "Turn & Talk" which is just like "Teach-Okay". But I like the idea of having them "teach" each other the imformation given instead of having them share their ideas like I do now with "Turn & Talk". The only thing that confuses me is how they talk at the same time, no one is listening to anyone. Hmmm?? But I do see how just reciting the information can be a useful tool for comprehension. I love the "Give _____ a 10 finger whooooo". And all the kids say "Whoooo!". I think my 2nd graders will really enjoy being recognized for smart things and all their friends are impressed instead of just me. Any way, the scoreboard is a great idea compared to the table points I do now.
    I'll let you all know how it goes.

24. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Mar 30, 2008

This will be a helpful explanation for me because right away I had an inquisitive child asking me "Why are we doing this?" He was one who was having a hard time buying into it because of his overall lack of motivation. The peer pressure is starting to kick in, though. I'll try to explain further with more on learning styles on Monday.

After a few days of it, the kids are talking about it, the AP was in to quickly observe my class for no particular reason, and the teacher next door is asking, "WHAT are you doing over there?" :lol:

25. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Mar 30, 2008

Next be ready for teachers around you and on your team to ask if you could please "have a little less fun in your class?!"

I have heard this from my teammates. It seems the kids complain that their classes are not nearly as much fun as mine. Yeah, I am about to stop that! Ha-ha.

26. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Mar 30, 2008

Yeah, I'm wondering how my collegues will respond to the fun we will have. I already do little things like this in my class which is much different than the way others teach. The funny thing is my neighbors in the classrooms next to me are 3rd grade so they better pick up on some Power Teaching techniques before my kids go to them and wonder why their class is so dull??? (Just kidding).:lol:

27. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Mar 30, 2008

Check out the Yada Noise Control Scale as well. Your kids will almost certainly love it.

28. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Jun 18, 2008

I looked at all the resources online and I think I am going to introduce Power Teaching to my 4th and 5th graders next year. Are there any books or resources that give you ideas on how to introduce each aspect of Power Teaching? Im having trouble with what to introduce first, and I certainly don't want to overwhelm my students or me!

29. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 18, 2008

Chris Biffle (the originator of Power Teaching) has a web site at http://homepage.mac.com/chrisbiffle/Personal17.html. Click on the Downloads button/tab, and you will be taken to a page where EVERYTHING is free to download (in pdf form). I suggest you begin with the e-book Teaching Challenging Children. That contains the classroom management techniques that his organization uses so effectively (he used to charge $$ for it, but no more!). The rest I would work on over time.

30. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jun 22, 2008

Hi guys. Sorry it took a day or two to reply. I have been out of town with Chris, and other instructors from California. We were teaching teachers in Louisiana intros to Power Teaching. It was GREAT! They loved it.

Introduce the concepts in the following order:

1) class-yes
    2) Five classroom rules, complete with gestures
    3) Teach-OK
    4) Scoreboard game (ask for details on the difference in lower and upper level learners)
    5) Switch!

These are the first five of the BIG SIX of Power Teaching.

Follow Will's link above to get the free ebooks. These are truly amazing.

Jeff

31. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Jun 23, 2008

I have reading about and "researching" power teaching for a week now, and I have printed everything I can find and taken it to heart. I am a very high energy teacher who wants to enjoy my time in the classroom (and I want the students to feel the same). This "energy" sometimes leads to misbehavior. I really feel like this can satisfy both me and the students while making a huge impact on their retention and learning.

I am so psyched to start this that I have already passed on the links to my teacher friends and even to a few of my former professors (they need to introduce this in their courses!) I've also added a page to my website with all of the power teaching links. (Gee, I don't see interested in this at all, do I? lol)

I'll be letting everyone know how my experience as a first year teacher power teaching goes.

http://www.amysclassroom.com
    http://www.missredandmisunderstood.blogspot.com/

32. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2008

I had never heard of Power Teaching before, but I've spent the entire morning on the website and watching the videos, and I think it's amazing! Classroom management has always been my weakness, and even though I usually have happy chaos, it's chaos nonetheless and I don't always accomplish all that I want to. I'm definitely going to use the techniques this fall!

Are there regularly scheduled seminars in California, or are they only through special arrangements with a district?

33. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jun 23, 2008

I know there is a seminar on August 23rd. Register soon. At the last seminar, June 4th, they had 430 attendees, and had to turn away more than 50 because there was not enough room!

Jeff

34. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2008

Thanks, I emailed Chris - it's in Hemet, which is about a 2-1/2 hour drive for me, but I'll see if I can dig up a couple of colleagues who want to make the trip too. :)

35. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jun 24, 2008

Do it. I went to the one in June and it was awesome! I'm considering going to the one in Hemet also.

36. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 24, 2008

Jeff,
    I'm gonna keep touting the benefits of PowerTeaching here in North Louisiana, and maybe I can get one of the school boards to invite y'all for a seminar or three!

37. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jun 24, 2008

You rock! Check into that. I would definitely be glad to come down for that!

I found out his morning that Benjamin Franklin was a Power Teaching advocate:

"Tell me and I will forget, teach me and I will remember, involve me and I will learn."
    -Benjamin Franklin

How cool is that.