Power Teaching

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by MrsM7, Sep 8, 2011.

1. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Sep 8, 2011

So I read a little about Power Teaching online and watch a video on you tube and decided to try it with my 26 (!!) kindergarteners and I LOVE it!! Anyone else out there use it?? Suggestions for more ideas and resources??

3. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Sep 9, 2011

There is a Power Teaching forum in the Professional Groups area.

4. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011

Thanks- I'll check it out!

5. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Sep 14, 2011

MrsM7, I also started Power teaching this year and I also love it. My only problem is I only have them in the morning and the other teacher who has them in the afternoon is not buying into it. So I am a little frustrated. I would like to hear some of your ideas and what is working for you.

6. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Sep 14, 2011

I am using Oh yeah/Oh no and the smilies and frownies. I am loving those! The kids have really responded well to them. I would like to implement more, but I have to go watch more videos to really learn how. :)

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 14, 2011

Google "Whole Brain Teaching", which is what it's called these days.

8. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011

I use class/yes, hands and eyes, and teach-ok. The hardest one was teach-ok, but it gets better every time we do it.

Found this blog today. Can't wait to spend some time reading it. It's from a kindergarten teacher who uses Whole Brain Teaching.
    http://mrsshipleywholebrainteaching.blogspot.com/

9. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Sep 17, 2011

I also use class/yes, hands and eyes and teach-ok. I agree the teach ok was the hardest to teach. Do you use the smiley and frownies? I also like the it's cool. I always have those perfectionist who get upset when they get something wrong, so the it's Cool works great. They even told me the other day it's cool when I made a mistake. :lol:

Thanks for posting the site. I can't wait to look at it.

10. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Sep 17, 2011

I haven't done the "It's cool" (only 2 weeks in) but plan to. I want to read more about the smiley-frownie and the different levels- which sound good.

I have 2 classes of 26 kids (!) each this year full of at-risk, ELL, special ed, autism, etc. students-and so far this is really helping them stay on task and engaged without me feeling like I am constantly in discipline mode :)

11. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Sep 17, 2011

I teach Kindergarten in the morning and preschool in the afternoon. I use it in the morning but I haven't tried any of it with Preschool. I wonder if anyone uses it with Preschool and what parts they use.