Power Teaching Rules, Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ancientcivteach, Jul 23, 2008.

1. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 23, 2008

As I'm prepping for next year, I'm in a quandry.

I have never really been a "rules" person. I have allows posted "respect self, others, and property" and let it go at that - modeling and discussing those behaviors. It has been really successful for the last dozen years.

Remember the saying, "all rules are written in blood"? :whistle:

I had a class this last year that was so lacking in basic classroom behaviors (now, I've taught sped, ed, and behaviorally challenged students every year and I'm normally real successful with them - this was beyond the pale.) that I have to wonder if more specific rules would have been beneficial for them. So, I'm toying with implementing the rules from PowerTeaching and I'm wondering what you think:

from Power Teachers blog:
    Rule One: Follow directions quickly! (the gesture- make your hand shoot forward like a fish)

Rule Two: Raise your hand for permission to speak (the gesture- raise your hand, then pull it down next to your head and make a talking motion. This rule will be the most commonly violated one. Watch below for how you stop this without criticism or negativity.)

Rule Three: Raise your hand for permission to leave your seat. (the gesture- raise your and, and then make a little walking figure with your index and middle finger.)

Rule Four: Make smart choices! (the gesture- tap one finger to your temple as you say each word.

Rule Five: Keep your dear teacher happy! (the gesture- hold up each thumb and index finger out like an “L” frame your face, bob your head back and forth with each word and smile really big!)

I just feel odd, because I'd say 75-80% of all the children I've taught have responded well to vague-er rules, and I don't know if it is too "baby-ish" for sixth graders. Thoughts?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 23, 2008

I'm using the "Make smart choices" rule this year. It is broad enough to cover a wide range of behavior. I have an issue with "Keep your teacher happy." I understand the logic behind it, but I think it's more of an argument with parents than I want.

4. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jul 23, 2008

Just wanted to comment quickly on the "why" behind rule 5, and how to overcome parent objections. It is working really well so, far, but that will be up to you, and your situation.

I am using it with 8th graders and they seem to take to them well.

Remember that there is an easy way to set parents at ease with rule 5. I tell them it is my responsibility to teach their child, and every other child in class. The "happier" I am, meaning the less stressed and distracted I am from the learning at hand, the more effective I will be as a teacher, and the more focused the kids can be. Things that "don't make me happy" are generally violations of the first four rules, and constitute major distractions in class.

The first three are concrete, and common. The fourth is moving kids into self evaluation, and connecting their actions with consequences and the fifth is a catch all that cannot be argued with.

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2008

Power Teacher,
    My colleague and I are very excited about power teaching and are going to implement what we feel comfortable with this year. Is there a place that already has the rules on a poster? You see, we believe strongly that we should make other teachers happy by using their work, which in turn makes us happy because we don't have to.

No, that came out wrong. Actually, I've never had a problem with kids not raising their hands before speaking. Most of them do anyway. So I don't want to make it a rule which would mean it needs a consequence if it's broken. I can deal personally with the child who yells out everything before anyone has a chance to speak.

So, is there a place to get a poster in which I can rewrite one of the rules?

6. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

If you PM me with your email address, I will send you my Power Teaching rules poster that you can modify to your needs. No sweat.

7. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Jul 23, 2008

I am doing PowerTeaching to this year, and I did change the rules up a tad. And then I made my own poster (to match my theme).

My rules are:
    1. Follow directions quickly.
    2. Raise your hand for permission to speak.
    3. Keep hands, feet, and objects to yourself. (problem in my school!)
    4. Make smart choices.
    5. Keep your dear teacher happy.

8. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

Actually, I think I can post links now, so click here to see if mine is what you're looking for:
    http://tinyurl.com/5sj8pl

9. shouldbeasleep

Jul 23, 2008

I do like it! It's actually inspired me to make my own! I have to go to school tomorrow anyway because my dear friend across the hall is bugging me to help her finish setting up her classroom. I just remembered that the school has Publisher installed.

(The only reason I mention that part about bugging me is because she finally joined this site and knows who I am.) I'll pretend that I'm coming in to help her, but instead I'll make the posters.

If she's nice to me and brings me a coffee from Starbucks, I might print out an extra copy for her. :hugs:

But thank you for the offer. If she kicks me out, I may have to get back to you. (She's got the color printer in her room.)

If I knew how to post a picture on here, I'd share all the things that I've made. You all have given me so much over the years.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 23, 2008

Our school has specific rules for all classes, so I believe I am going to implement some aspects of this in rules/procedures...

I feel it's best to use whatever is most comfortable with you. Not all power teachers necessarily have to implement every rule/procedure or teach concepts exactly the same. You have to take your class/population into consideration, also.

11. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

Absolutely on the money, Mrs. J! One of the great things about Power Teaching is the flexibility it gives you in the classroom.

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 24, 2008

Maybe it was just your class this year. Wait and see how they are. If those rules worked for 12 years, it was probably a fluke that your class last year was so tough. I never go over my rules until the second or even THIRD week of class and we develop them together. Kids are shy the first few weeks of school and I never really have anyone act out, especially the first few days. I wait until there is a problem to discuss, then we create the rule for that problem.

13. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

Wow! You're lucky! This was my second year teaching, and both years on the first day, I've had at least one act like a fool! I had to pounce on them! I don't know what the honeymoon period is, but I haven't had one yet! And we're going on year 3! But, I also teach middle school which is a different breed.

14. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 24, 2008

Neat poster. We have one warning rule. You break a rule name on board. Break it again write up, go to office, after three write ups from any teacher ISS. It stops the students from trying to agrue with the teacher. :D

15. shouldbeasleep

Jul 24, 2008

I did make the posters today, and they look terrific. I forgot the rule above all rules, but I'm not going back. I hate taping pages together from Publisher. Thank you for inspiring me.

And I got my coffee, too. She did it without even seeing the message here. And I even had time to help her work on the room. I told her to join and call herself "Wideawake".

16. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 25, 2008

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I'm thinking I'm going to stick to my usual rules because I am comfortable with them and over the years they have been generally useful - allowing me to model and teach behavior, etc, etc.

What I think I will do is make some posters for the beginning of the year of "ways of showing respect to Mrs. Ancient, Ways of showing respect to your classmates" etc, just for review and have the students add to the charts during our discussions. And I'll always have the specific rules as a tool in my back pocket in case I run into another anomaly :)