Power Teaching-- are there books on it? Also, a question on Fred Jones

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by jamoehope, Jul 13, 2008.

1. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Jul 13, 2008

Hello,

I am interested in some of the techniques of Power Teaching but I am wondering if there is a book on it. When I checked the website I found plenty of free downloads and instructions that if you want specific information on the methods, you need to attend a seminar or email the people in charge of the website. Do you know of other more immediate ways to get information?

Is Fred Jones "Tools for Teaching" highly recommended? I am considering buying his book.

I will be a new Resource elementary teacher this fall and am trying to plan out behavior management because I know it is important.

Thank you,
    Jamie

3. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

You can ask me anything you like, I am an approved Power Teacher Trainer. That is pretty immediate. Also try my blog, specifically for people beginning Power Teaching.

4. raneydae

raneydae Companion

Jul 14, 2008

I am a new classroom teacher, but I have been working with all ages of kids in varying capacities for, well, 8 or 9 years! (eek - that makes me sound old! I'm only 27! :) )

I've only recently been introduced to "Power Teaching", but I've been aware of and used some of the methods before. I haven't done a lot of reading into it, but I watched the youtube videos, checked out the website and read several posts on here.

I'm curious though if this method works equally well with all ages. I've done some of these things, like all the class responses, with younger kids, or in summer camp settings, and they get a kick out of it...but I can't imagine using it with older kids for more than a day or so.

I personally think that I would have hated it as a student, feeling like I was forced to blend in and answer with everyone else, like I was programmed or something. Of course, maybe I just grew up with too many overbearing church sermons where the preacher seemed to employ these same tactics to get a congregation to listen! :)

Either way, I'm just curious how well power teaching goes over with the older grades/adults. Do you ever have students who refuse to participate and find the whole thing too silly? If so, how do you get them to participate?

p.s. don't get me wrong, I'm a very enthusiastic and organized teacher who teaches with excitement and structure, but I guess I just shy away from the whole "programmed response" aspect of the whole thing...

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 14, 2008

I highly recommend Tools for Teaching. I'm in the process of re-reading it, I love it!

6. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

Power Teaching does work really well with older learners. Chris Biffle uses it with his college classes, I have used it in college classes I have taught as well.

The key with older learners is to explain why you are using the technique. Explain about the three basic learning modes, and how this is one of the only approaches they will ever see that engages all three modes.

Once I have used the techniques with older learners for a couple of weeks and they are used to it I have asked if they want to return to more traditional methods. I have always gotten an overwhelming 'NO!" as a response. I frequently have my most cynical 8th graders ask if they can just stay in my class for the rest of the day.

You should not think of it as simply programmed responses. Power Teaching provides a strong classroom management environment based on positive peer pressure. Have you ever tried something creative and fun only to have it fall apart as the kids get out of hand?

Power Teaching provides an environment in which it is easy to regain control at any point.

Additionally, with Power Teaching remember that you use Teach-OK first to give them the basic understanding of what you are teaching. Using the gestures shows you who is on task as you give them the basics. You also use Micro-Lecture to test what individual students know, and give them the chance to be creative.

Never underestimate their attraction to the prospect of getting to talk through most of class. The only difference is that they are talking about the things that you want them to be talking about.

Even if you use Power Teaching every day you can also fold in traditional methods. Typically, after I have taught concepts with Power Teaching, we break for a few minutes of seat work and then go back to Power Teaching.

I have not found any approach that can equal the understanding and retention imbued through Power Teaching. I polled my kids at one point, telling them this was an example of why we did Power Teaching, and the majority were able to recall the meaning of vocabulary words we had learned up to fifteen weeks prior.

7. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 14, 2008

sent you a PM

8. AbbyR

AbbyR Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

I'm going to make the 50 mile drive to school tomorrow so I can download ALL the downloads, but my school's network will not let me access any blogs. Can someone list all the places I should go and print that do not include any blog sites? Thanks.

9. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 14, 2008

10. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2008

I really like Tools to Teaching.

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2008

What exactly is "power teaching?"

12. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

Power Teaching is a grass roots movement for teacher reform that puts the power back in the teacher's hands in a way your students will enjoy!

Power Teaching is based on whole brain learning research. It is educational tomfoolery that will make you classroom more fun, and help your kids learn more than ever before.

Try these links, then ask more questions:

My Blog: http://classroompower.com

Power Teachers Homepage:

Video links:

13. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2008

Is Power Teaching religion based? I thought I read that somewhere.

14. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

No, it is not religion based. The core team are Christians, and Chris Biffle has developed some religious material using Power Teaching. However, the approach is not religious in nature, and has no specifically religious references anywhere in the writings.

15. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jul 15, 2008

Tools is the melding of two earlier works, Positive Classroom Discipline/Positive Classroom Instruction. Teachers using Jones' methods report 85% reduction in classroom interruptions, increased time on task, and reduced stress.

16. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

I liked Tools for Teaching. I'm going to try it out next year. I thought the book was good-a little wordy at times. I bought it because I was very tired of rereading Wong every year. I think Tools goes more in depth than Wong does on many issues. If you like Wong you'll like Tools.

17. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Jul 17, 2008

Thank you all for the clarifying information! :) I've ordered Tools for Teaching so I may comment on its ideas later. As for Power Teaching, I found all the information I needed is on the website. (Although it would be useful to attend a conference or see it in action. Luckily there are videos online!)

Jamie

18. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jul 18, 2008

The seminar is in Hemet on August 25th, I think.

You should also feel free to contact me if you have any questions about getting started.

19. Jazzy*Jai

Jazzy*Jai Rookie

Jul 18, 2008

Will there be any seminars in Louisana anytime soon?

20. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jul 18, 2008

I think a team is coming back to Louisiana near the end of July. I will let you know if I hear more, or you can contact Louisiana College in Pineville.

21. AbbyR

AbbyR Rookie

Jul 19, 2008

How about Arkansas? I'd LOVE to go to a seminar, but I live (and teach) in the middle of nowhere.

22. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 19, 2008

I linked to the many PDF files on it on the right column of my teaching website- http://teachingvision.org/jasztalville- scroll down and look at the bottom five links on the right. I may eventually make a page about it as well because my class will have to do a technology project every month and we may video record a lesson.

23. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jul 19, 2008

Get me the contact information for you district. I will make a proposal to your staff development folks, and we can if they are interested.

24. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Jul 30, 2008

Is there anywhere to find a schedule of Power Teaching seminars? Does anyone know of the next seminar scheduled for the college in California or of a seminar near Texas?

25. KMH

KMH Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

The next one is in Hemet(sp), CA. You can email Chris Biffle for the details. It's August 23rd, I think!

26. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

Yep. August 23rd in Hemet. You definitely need to email him quickly. They have not announced this one widely yet, and already are reporting about 256 people planning to attend!

27. languageart83

languageart83 Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

I bought Tools for Teaching last year (for my 2nd year). It made such a difference in classroom control. It is a bit wordy but worth it. I am rereading it now.

28. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

I have used the internet resources to research power teaching all summer. We had our first day of school today and I introduced my kids to some of the techniques. Mainly... Class-yes and hands and eyes. It was WONDERFUL!! I teach first grade. This is definatly something for all the ages. I have never been to a seminar just looked on the homepage and youtube which offers wonderful suggestions and way to implement. My students especially love to teach each other. OK Teach went over REALLY well. Its great to have them all on one page.

I think one repsonse was that it is religious based. But as he other poster replied it is NOT! People only get this idea from the fact that many preachers use this same type of call and respone in their sermons. "Now turn to your nieghbor and tell them jesus is great" etc.... How many times have we heard that one.
    Preacher: "Can I get a Amen"
    Congregation: Amen

Power teaching kind of has the same unison responses. But anyway, I really enjoyed it and have only been doing it one day!!!

29. Jazzy*Jai

Jazzy*Jai Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

I am glad you had a great day. My kids come next Tuesday and I am so ready to use the Power teaching techniques. Reading this makes me confidient that my kids will respond well to it.

30. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

If you have questions on the basics- any of the Big Six- feel free to check out my website to walk you through.

31. raneydae

raneydae Companion

Aug 11, 2008

Ha ha - in an earlier post on this thread, I commented how I don't particularly like the power teaching method (nor would I have as a student) because it reminded me too much of growing up in churches like that! :)