Power School Grade Book

Discussion in 'General Education' started by paperlabs, Sep 26, 2012.

1. paperlabs

paperlabs Rookie

Sep 26, 2012

I saw a post about this some time ago, but could not find it using the search tool. I need this info quick as things are piling up.
    We have Power School Grade Book now and I wonder if someone could tell me how to do some things.
    I think there must be some setting in preferences.
    1) How do I make the computer accept the same name for a quiz assignment and a daily work assignment? For example, after they turn in hw showing practice on an assignment named "Mean, Median, Mode, Range" I wish to quiz the students and use the same name "Mean, Median, Mode, Range" in the quiz category. I am not even able to delete or add an extra space or it will say that name is already used.
    2) How do you stop it from changing the last grade entered. For example if I mistakenly hit a number key after entering the last grade, it will change the grade to the number key I hit.
    3) How do you enter a new assignment whithout having to leave the grading window. I know I used to be albe to do this at another school where we had P/S, but so far I can not at this school. I wonder if I have to get the computer administrator to make preference changes.
    4) How do you change the height of the attendance and grade book rows to match my excel rows. I can match the excel rows and line up so as to make easy entries from excel to P/S, but I can't fit the attendance in one window. So the way it is now, I have to line up with excel, copy attendance (and we have a lot of absences everyday), then scroll down the P/S, then scroll down the Excel, then line up again. It is really inefficient.
    5) How do you widen the names column in gradebook mode without widening the grades column. We often get a lot of class switching and withdrawals so it is important to continually keep track of who is new and withdrawn and using Excel helps as I just line up side-by-side.
    6) Is there a way to set preferences so students are numbered, like 1, 2, 3, etc. up to 33? I have been counting the students to make sure the total number of students marked present equals the actual number of students in the classroom.
    7) I recall that I used to be able to put extra points in by just entering a number larger than the "total possible." For example I could enter 11 points instead of the ttl.possible of 10. I programmed Excel to calculate grades and got the same exact averages as Power School, so I know the method works. As another example, I could set the total possible at 0 and then enter extra credit points. Now, the program won't let me. I am afraid I would have to go to another window and put stuff out of sequence, enter date, name, and all again just for extra credit.

3. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 26, 2012

I'm using version 2.5 of the gradebook, so hopefully you are using the same one. I don't think you can give two assignments the exact name. Can you just add the word "quiz" to the one you want to count as that? Don't forget to change that in both the "Name" and "Abbreviation" fields, otherwise you'll keep on getting that error message. (The abbreviation field is right next to the name field.)

Not sure about that. My gradebook updates the student's average every time I enter a grade. I don't think there's any way to turn that off.

Click on the "+" next to where all of the assignments are listed at the top of the screen.

Not sure...I don't use Excel for anything related to this.

Click on the very light gray vertical line (next to the word "Students" at the top of the screen) and drag it over to the right.

Don't think so (as far as I know).

I just do that by using the Extra Credit box like you mentioned. For example, tomorrow I'm giving a 40 point quiz with a 2 point extra credit opportunity. When I enter the assignment information, I will make the points possible 40, and I'll put 2 in the extra credit box so the computer accepts grades up to 42.

4. paperlabs

paperlabs Rookie

Oct 10, 2012

Doesn't sound very good. Also, I just printed out progress reports. I tried to find an easy way to use less ink, even tried to copy to Word and Excel and cut the massive ink blots and change from bold type. It wouldn't let me so I finally just printed using a 50% enlargement just to save some ink, but it printed on about a quarter of one side of each sheet and used twice as many sheets as should really have been needed! Unbelievable.
    Also, I notice that everytime I change from one class to another, it moves the page either up or down. So that is another little thing that adds to the total time.
    Also, I guess just to mark one kid absent is a 3 step process. Click on the box, choose Absent or Tardy, then click again to activate the choice.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2012

Our powerschool is pretty easy to use. I just change the box at the top to absent and then click on the absent students. No extra buttons to press. Maybe this is something that your school decided to do differently or something you can change in the preferences.

For extra credit. When you enter an assignment there is the total possible points and then next to that an area to enter extra points possible. It's really simple to type in the number of extra credit points this way.

And yes, you can still make an assignment worth zero points and type in the number of points possible in this box as well.

I think this just keeps a teacher from accidentally entering a 50 when the assignment is only worth 5 points.

6. paperlabs

paperlabs Rookie

Oct 10, 2012

I guess I don't understand. When one checks the grade with their Excel or hard copy backup method, they would see the obvious mistake and change it.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2012

Many teachers do not keep a back up grade book and if they do, they do not keep referring to the grade book after entering the grades.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2012

We use Powerschool as well but since I am new to it I can't really help you. Sorry.

9. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Oct 10, 2012

I have a lot of issues with it too! I have learned how to make the extra credit as others have mentioned. I feel like printing options are really difficult--hard to make things fit on a page. Sometimes things print fine, but I can't count on it! What I can't do today is print a monthly attendance review page for september that doesn't leave off Friday September 28. I could see it there, but couldn't print it--so I had to handwrite the absent or tardy marks for 5 classes.

10. paperlabs

paperlabs Rookie

Oct 13, 2012

This just happened minutes ago. I am at home this Saturday morning working on my home computer checking grades against my Excel grades. I noticed that Power School had incorrect grades for some students. I discovered one grade of 26 points when the max was set to 11 (I set it at 11 for this assignment). I kept trying to change the student’s grade to 11 (he had the maximum number of points for that assignment). But my entry of 11 points into p/s would not stick. It kept changing back to 26. I probably made 3 attempts when the computer suddenly shut down. I had to log back in and up came p/s with the grades and the 26 still there. I called my wife over to look at it. I showed her the problem. To help her understand, I then entered 222 for the grade and the p/s program replied with a message box stating that 11 was the highest possible number of points for this assignment. I did this a couple more times using 333 and 111. Each time it replied that 11 was the max.number of pts.
    Then I put in 11 again and this time it stuck!
    I have no idea how 26 got in there in the first place, but again I am glad that I use Excel as a check on my grades.
    Grading should not have to be this frustrating.

11. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Oct 13, 2012

What version of the gradebook are you using? It should show up on the screen when it's opening. I have never had these types of issues with it before, but maybe I just use a newer version!

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2012

We sometimes have these issues when we upgrade to a newer version, but they don't usually last long and we have a tech person whose job is just p/s issues and set up.