Power point

Discussion in 'General Education' started by giraffe326, Jan 13, 2009.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2009

Does anyone know of a way to get MS Power Point for free or cheap for educators? I know when I was in college, you could buy it from the IT center for $10. We have Macs at school and I can use Keynote, however, I'd rather do it at home and bring my laptop in :)

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2009

It's definitely not that cheap any more! There's a free product available through openoffice.org that's supposed to do the same thing - you might check that out. Otherwise, you're going to have to spring for the whole Office suite.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 13, 2009

5. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Jan 13, 2009

You may want to ask your IT person at school if there is a way to get MS applications through the school purchasing. In Oregon we are able to get educator's discount through oetc (oregon educational technology council, I think) if our district has a membership.

6. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 14, 2009

Yep, check with your school/district. Microsoft has a program with most schools where they allow teachers to buy the software very cheaply if the school already has a license for it. We can get Office 07 (which includes powerpoint and everything else) for $10 for our home computers.

That said, if you're stuck with mac/keynote at school that probably means you don't have the license and you're stuck buying the $80 Student/Teacher edition of office.

7. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jan 14, 2009

I third OpenOffice. It's a wonderful product, and it's free.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 14, 2009

District only uses Apple products.

I will check out Open Office. Thanks!

And, I found out today, my Mac laptop is awaiting approval, so hopefully I get it soon (I wasn't sure if I was getting one and found out today that I was :D )

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 14, 2009

I HATE OpenOffice. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

10. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jan 14, 2009

JustMe, just curious, what do you hate about it? So far I have found it to be nearly identical to Microsoft Office suite. The PowerPoint clone files can be opened and edited in PowerPoint.

The software I HATE so far is Microsoft Office 2007! The controls are counter intuitive, and hard to find, the darned thing is an awful resource hog, and you can prepare an entire meal in the time it takes a file to be virus scanned- which it does every freakin' time it opens any file!

The color schemes in PowerPoint are inferior to those in every other incarnation of PowerPoint.