Power Point Timer?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kater07, Oct 29, 2011.

1. kater07

kater07 Rookie

Oct 29, 2011

I have an entire slide show that is a timer, but what I NEED is a timer that I can embed in my slide shows. I use power point every single day, and sometimes, what's on the slide needs to be timed - an assignment that only allows 5 minutes or whatever.

Does anyone know of a reliable timer download or a tutorial for making my own? I've been searching off and on for weeks. I NEED the students to be able to see the timer and the assignment. Our administrators expect to see the assignment slide projected, and having a separate timer they can't see has proven to be a poor choice.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 29, 2011

I tried to do it too! Wow! Much more complex than I expected. I know how to make a link to an online one but that opens another box and it isn't smooth. I'm almost to the point where I would video an online countdown clock and then embed the video. Before you go that far though, I'm sure someone has a brilliant idea that is much easier.

4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2011

Embedding a flash object is probably the easiest way to do it, and that's not very easy at all.

Another option that we used (for admittedly a 30 second timer) was to make a bar at the bottom of the slide made up of 30 different boxes (just make one and ctrl + D to duplicate). Just set each with disappear animation and an "After previous" with a delay of 30 seconds. If you set that animation on the first one before using Ctrl + D it will automatically be set on the rest.

As long as your computer can handle 3000 objects (for a 5 minute bar) you'll be set.

You could also, of course, start with larger increments, like 30 second bars, then cut it down as near the end of the timer.

5. kater07

kater07 Rookie

Oct 29, 2011

I'm going to have to figure this out because my students need to see x # of minutes/seconds to go, and the activities are for 5/10/15 minutes. It's really too bad we can't do a split screen presentation with 2 slides showing simultaneously.

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 29, 2011

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 29, 2011

8. Opal

Opal Companion