Potty trip vouchers... 3 per week.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SpecialPreskoo, Jan 19, 2012.

1. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 19, 2012

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/19/10190991-teacher-limits-kids-bathroom-trips-3-per-week

Have you read this? What are your thoughts about the 3x/week potty vouchers? I could see if she has repeat offenders. (I know I have preschool but I have one that goes three times during naptime!)

Does she not have scheduled potty breaks?? Geeeee!

I know when I was in high school, you went between class changes (if you could pee and get from one end of campus to the other in 4 mins.) but this is 5th grade.

Does she hold it all day long herself?? Heaven forbid she have an upset stomach and need to waste class time running to the toilet herself.

3. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jan 19, 2012

Uhhhhh My policy is 5x per quarter! What would MSNBC say about me?!?!
    To be clear, however, the students can use the bathroom for free during lunch and recess.

4. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jan 19, 2012

I might be an even bigger meanie. Mine have two per week. They go to the bathroom before school, at recesses/lunch and before specials. At the most, there is 1.5 hours between breaks (most days it is less). If a student has to go and they've used their two freebies, I let them. Then, I have them stay in so we can come up with a plan (usually they make an effort to go at one of the above times). They know they can always go if it's an emergency. I have one student who replaces his freebies each day as he needs to use the bathroom more frequently.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2012

I don't have (or need) a potty policy. But this doesn't seem unreasonable because I figure there are class breaks/opportunities.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 19, 2012

I would assume the passes are in addition to scheduled breaks.

7. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 19, 2012

I don't think it's unreasonable at all. Especially if she has the same kids leaving all the time for the restroom. Some students will ask to go to the bathroom to avoid working, and it's amazing how catching it is. Once a class sees one student leave, others will ask to leave also.

It's unlikely that the kids have more than two hours between breaks - likely even less than that. The kids can use the restroom before and after school, at recess and at lunch - just like the teachers.

I just can't believe this would make MSNBC. Thousands of elementary classrooms have similar rules. It's really not a big deal.

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2012

I let them go whenever they ask, as long as we're not in the middle of something really important. If they start asking way too much or taking too long, I will time them and they owe me time for however much extra time they take. So for example, if I give them 3 minutes and they take 4, then they owe me 1 minute. It's never been a big deal.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2012

I never deny kids if they ask to go to the bathroom. What I do, though, is keep track if it starts to become a problem (repeat offenders) and I note when they ask to go.

I'm assuming, though, that they do have time to go in between breaks.

10. strepsils

strepsils Companion

Jan 20, 2012

I dont really have a policy - if a kid needs to go, they need to go. My only stipulation is that it is one kid at a time.

I do not have kids trying to avoid work - if the reason is to avoid work, I either say no or state that they have to finish x amount of work first. Kids are also told that they cannot go during instruction time.

I'd hate to not let a child go to toilet and have it be a problem due to UTIs or other infections/illness.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2012

According to the report, even a crumpled pass is invalid.

It sounds pretty unreasonable to me. My kids know they can go to the bathroom as needed. They tend to hurry, so as to miss less instruction. If there's an issue with frequency, I deal with it on a case by case basis, not with a blanket policy.

BUT this was reported in the NY Post. It's not the most credible source out there-- the Post is pretty much known as "The Gentleman's National Enquirer."

So I'm not sure I even believe the story. I certainly don't believe that the Post went out of its way to present the whole picture.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2012

The principal is ending the policy.

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2012

My personal philosophy is if you gotta go you gotta go. .

But I can't believe this made the news - pretty much all of my teachers had policies like this when I was i n school.

14. StellatheSub

StellatheSub Rookie

Jan 20, 2012

I am a sub. When I first started subbing, the potty thing was a problem, because I had poor management. Now, it is rarely a problem. If I'm giving instructions and someone says they have to go I tell them "in 5 minutes you may go," if they say "I can't wait", then I say "go ahead." I also, only let one student out of the room, and no one really lingers, because they don't have any one to play with in the bathroom. I'm not surprised this made a news, what us teachers do, good and bad makes the news. We are always under the microscope.

15. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jan 21, 2012

I teach high school, but I pretty much let them go at will. They're not allowed to go while I'm giving instructions but can go while they're doing an assignment or activity with the understanding that they won't receive extra time for the activity. I don't have many who abuse it, but I have a few and I keep an eye out for them (for example, the bathroom is across the hall and two doors down. After about five minutes I might stick my head out the door to make sure they're not standing out there talking to someone or texting). They're also not allowed while they still have a test or quiz out and recently I haven't been letting them go out within 10 minutes of finishing just because one by one the entire class would ask.

Generally though, if I have a sudden up swing in people needing to use the bathroom, it means they have too much free time. If I give them 5 or 10 minutes at the end of class, all of a sudden everyone needs to pee. Or after a quiz or test while waiting on the others to finish, the first thing they do as soon as they hand in their papers is ask to use the restroom.

16. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2012

I don't think it's unreasonable as long as there were group times to use the restroom, such as lunch and recess. We had a lot of problems in the past with the bathrooms being the hangout place (even the place to skip class!) or a lot of destruction happening.

But at the same time... I mean, we all know that look on a kid's face when they have to go right that second or else. Even with a pass program in place, I hope that teacher never denied a kid with that look.