potty training.....

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by love2teach, Feb 17, 2015.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2015

UGH! My first child trained with no issues....took away the diaper and we were set in just a few days.
    I am taking the same approach with my little guy this week and we are having a tougher time.
    He has gained quite a bit of control and has not had too many accidents. This is great, except....he holds it alllll day and refuses to use the potty. He is holding it until he is screaming and crying. I am trying not to pressure him onto the potty, but I don't know what else to do? :dizzy::help:

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 17, 2015

Well, you broke rule No. 1. If the first child was a breeze, stop - have no more children! Bask in the glory of the perfect child, and you are golden. However, now that there is a second child, quit comparing, and find a new plan of attack. I do remember how nice it felt to say goodbye to diapers, but the timing might not quite be right yet for child No. 2. How about giving him, as well as yourself, a break from potty training, and revisit it in a month or so? Or, I am sure that someone with more experience will have great advice, so you can just go with that. I always urge finding the humor in the situation, if for no other reason than to have great stories to tell in the future. Never was "expect the unexpected" more apropos than when comparing two different children trying to meet the same milestone. It is an exercise in humility. Kiss them both good night, love them, and this too shall pass. Have a little faith and a great sense of humor. :hugs:

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2015

Sticker chart? Worked for us!

5. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2015

Love this post.

Children are all different. If you expect your second child to be just like your first, you're setting yourself up for some major issues.

They'll all have faults. They'll all have good points.

I agree with the sticker chart, and with just generally praising him when he does use the potty.

For an interesting (and possibly amusing) cross-cultural look, here's a subtitled Japanese potty training video.

6. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Feb 18, 2015

Potty Training

Both my sons hated the pot. So, my hubby and I got a step stool and a potty lid and they both used the toilet. Their problem was the idea of the potty itself. They both preferred to use the toilet like their dad. Also a phone call from Hanrdy Mandy and a Sponge Bob went a long way.

7. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2015

I am not comparing my children, just stating that the first time around I did not need to "trouble shoot" or "use tricks" and was looking for advice as to what kinds of tricks have worked for others.

I know my children and know that they could not be more different. I was not expecting this guy to train like my first one did.

I really do not want to go back and bring the diaper back.
    He has really good control and has only peed his pant 1 x today! I think he is being controlling and not wanting to use the potty because I want him to. Soooo, to that end, I am not making him go. I am just reminding him to let me know when he wants to go. That being said, I know he has to pee, but he wont, so he's dancing around....and dance he will.....when he wants to get on the pot, he will,, right???

Babies should come with instruction guides....:eek::eek:

8. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Feb 18, 2015

Mini marshmallows worked for us.

9. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Feb 18, 2015

If it's this hard, he is probably not ready. Readiness for toilet training is not only determined by the child's ability to hold urine or feces, but also by their emotional readiness. The last thing you want is for this to become a battle, it will be painful for both of you and no one will come out happy. Don't think of bringing the diaper back as moving backward, but as giving him control over his body back, and letting him know that you are willing to respect his feelings on the matter and wait until he lets you know he is ready. It will happen, it just may not be as quickly as you'd hoped. :2cents: