Potty training

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by BethMI, Aug 12, 2005.

1. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 12, 2005

Does anyone have any good books, websites or advice about potty training? I have a 22 mos. old son and don't even know where to begin!

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 13, 2005

Do you work at school? Do they have a die cutter? If they do you can use tissue paper and cut out potty targets. They flush like toilet paper and makes the kids want to go on the potty. Make sure you buy one of those lids child proof lids for the toilet. Somes times little guys want to go on their own, and can easily fall in.

4. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 13, 2005

on the pampers website there is a character with their new brands called
    Kandoo! maybe you have seen the advertizements. But they offer a reward program for new potty users, stickers for going potty, stickers for flushing, and stickers for washing hands, it comes with a chart and a door hanger to remind them to do those things. On the pull ups website they have a printable book about going to the store, buying a potty chair, putting it in the bathroom, and so on, its pretty good, if you choose to use under pants, just change the word when when you read the story. It also has an award to print out. I think that if you don't push too hard, let him check it out by him self, watch dad to see what he does, and give encouragement when he is succesful and not repremand when he has accedents. You should do fine. Also, limit drinks after dinner. It took 3 of my kids a long time to get fully potty trained! But the youngest one did it all on her own. Don't forget like adults, keep a good book availiable for him in the "office" (bathroom). There is a big debate on the use of pull- ups (look on this site) but I used them at least at night it will save your sanity of changing sheets every time there is an accident in the middle of the night. And if he goes to day care, check for a policy there. Some times they want pull ups because it is more sanitary to tear a way a pull up if there is a mess than to have dirty clothes to get them out of. I almost forgot, there is a cute little video that was put out a long time ago, with a corresponding book and song. It has a section for boy and one for girls. IF you look for it all I know is it has colorful daisys on the cover. Good luck!

5. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 14, 2005

Thanks!! JamieMarie, that target idea is awesome! Would have never thought of it. ABall, yes, my daycare does not allow pull-ups, and I think I agree with that! But if they won't allow them, I probably shouldn't either, except, like you said, only at night. I will check the Pampers site (I hadn't seen any ads about it) and look for the book. Thanks again. :)

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 14, 2005

Just wondering (since I don't have children) why are pull ups not allowed?

7. c&j'smom

c&j'smom New Member

Aug 14, 2005

I just potty trained my 2yr old son. He was the type that likes to aim at targets. I would put Cheerios or Goldfish crackers in the toliet, and let him aim. He thought it was fun, and he looked forward to pottying.

8. Cole

Cole Companion

Aug 14, 2005

my 5-year old still wont aim...no idea what his problem is...he refused to even touch it, his hands go on his hips....its cute and amusing and frustrating all at the same time :)

he pretty much potty trained himself, but then got stubborn and didnt want to go into the potty.

i got frustrated trying to fight it so i went to his level....he was (still is) into rescue heros and wanted the mountain command center. so we agreed a month with no accidents and he could have it.

he hasnt had an accident since :)

9. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 14, 2005

So those of you who have boys, did you teach them to stand right from the start? What is the benefit/drawback to standing vs. sitting? :confused:

Pull ups are not allowed (I believe) because they are a lot like diapers, therefore the child still feels like he is in diapers, and can wet and dirty them just like diapers. They say it delays the training.

THanks again for the input, I need as much help as possible!

10. Cole

Cole Companion

Aug 14, 2005

i taught him to sit first, just bc it was easier....

he spent a couple of weeks with my parents and saw his paw paw standing and asked why, so he stands now too....and aims pretty decently for putting his hands on his hips :)

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 14, 2005

I learned a good lesson a few years ago. I worked with a child that has down syndrome. He has low muscle tone so still has pull ups on. We would try to bring him to the bathroom every hour or so. This would help eliminate accidents. Anyway one day he decided to sit on the toilet. Well not having children I didn't know any better and let him sit. Next thing I know there is pee flying across the bathroom. Yup didn't know to tuck it. I'm in there yelling to the teacher to help me out. The other ed tech is in hysterics because she knew what happened.
    I didn't find it to funny then, but everyone else did (it's funny now lookig back at on it). I know now to tuck between the legs when I have boy children.

12. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 14, 2005

THanks JamieMarie-noted! LOL!!!

13. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2005

My son is approaching 36 mths and we still have accidents. I haven't found the magic solution either. I may try the target thing. Bought a great toilet that has it's own magazine holder/toilet paper roll and he seems to like that. Right now, I've resorted to giving him a Skittle when he pees and poops on potty. Helps somewhat but not a good enough motivation. I don't want to force the issue and make it a power issue, but at this point, who knows! Good luck.

14. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2005

We did this as well. They love to sink the cheerios. We also had him sit first on the little potty with a "wee wee" guard. He was only 22 months at the time and really wasn't fond of touching himself (which is a good thing I suppose;)). Within 6 months we was standing, but not on a stool-it made too much of a mess when he wouldn't aim correctly.

lve2tch: does your son stand on a stool. If so, try him just standing on his tip toes up next to the toilet. It's much more effective-a lesson from my mother.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way as far as sitting/standing. It just all depends on what is easier. Try one way, if it doesn't work, try the next. It's a trial and error kind of thing.

I agree about the pull-ups, however, I did have my son in them for awhile (before we potty trained) because his hips are so wide and the diapers were giving him cuts on his hips. So, because I didn't want my son in pain (how you can make potty training fun if you're in pain?) we switched to pull ups. The day we were serious about the potty though, the underwear was slapped on and the pull ups were only for night time and nap. Now he's 3 and doesn't need them at all. Just a thought though, no matter how long they have been trained, they will still have accidents. My son has had a couple night time accidents andn it's going to happen. Just don't be discouraged.

One other thing: we made sure we took our son to the potty at least every hour for the first 3-4 days of training. If he didn't go, then we took him 30 minutes after the last attempt. This seemed to work well for him and we NEVER ASKED if he had to go-he tried regardless. They always say no!!!

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2005

Ok, I'm glad Beth started this post becuz we are approaching this as well. My only question is we will soon be having another one..so do I delay starting before baby or go for it??? Any mom's with advice... I know they say some kids revert back!?!?

16. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2005

I have heard of this, but I would say if your child is already reaching the age where he just shouldn't be in diapers anymore, DON'T WAIT. I think prolonging it will only make it worse and harder. If the child is ready, then don't wait. If anything, it will be easier because you only have one to deal with now. You will be more tired and have less time when you have another one. Do it while you have more time on your hands. You'll thank yourself for doing it. And think of how less diapers you'll have to change when the baby comes.

17. laylasmom

laylasmom Rookie

Aug 16, 2005

You've said that pull-ups are OK at night which I agree...but how do you get off them at night. My pediatrician said to wait till they start being dry in the morning, but she's never dry. She's been potty trained since January and every time I've tried to not her her wear one at night I have to treat the mattress. Any ideas... :confused:

18. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 16, 2005

Advice from an experienced potty trainer!

As a mom of a son and former childcare provider of 8 years, I can tell you that you shouldn't even think about potting training him until he is 3. On that note, he will give you signs when he is ready and it could be soon. One thing you can do is buy a potty and put it in the bathroom and tell him it's for him. He can sit on it with his clothes on and you can give him a book to look at while your waiting to fill the tub for his bath. The key is to get him comfortable with it. Dont' worry about doing #2 until well after he's trained going #1 (if you know what I mean). A good book to get is Once Upon a Potty (They have an edition for boys and girls).

I can tell you that I've successfully trained about 25 children. They will all learn to go but at their own rate. You can't force a child to learn but you can give them the tools necessary to help them. Just try not to let anyone tell you that he must be trained by the age of 3.

Good luck and happy potty training.

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2005

Yup, mine will sit on 'his' potty with clothes on or sometimes off!!!

I let him sit there if he wants or not...I figured if he sees it in there and sits on it, it won't be such a shock to him!!!

Thanks for the advice!!!!

20. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2005

I think this is the one and only time so far I have to disagree with teacherere. My son was trained by just over 2 and did awesome. For awhile he actually pulled the wool over our eyes. For months he sat on the potty and threw a fit. He was holding out on us. So, we threw him in unders and he only had one accident his first day. Sometimes the parent just has to take control (no offense, jus couldn't think of any other way to explain it) and realize that their children are way smarter than they portray. He was ready, but needed a little push.

21. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 16, 2005

Jen, that's okay I didn't take offense, everyone has a way that works best for them. Like I said in my post, he'll tell you when he's ready..you see signs. I just know from experience that if you try to soon and they are not ready (i.e. before the age of 3, esp. boys) it can backfire. I just ran into a little boy that I had in daycare two years ago when I was teaching CT and called his mom to tell her how happy I was to see him. He's going to be 5 in Nov. and she said he just got trained. Now, I can tell you that as his provider for the 1st three years of his life, his mom was so hooked on getting him trained (yes he was still only 1 at the time) and it's been four years and he just got there. He was her first and my advice to her was if you are going to start when he is physically able to go, you must be consistent and not go back to the diapers once you start. You must not confuse them. Any way, that's an extreme example. I have a million stories on both sides of the 3 year old thing and every child is different.

JenPooh....what you did with the unders is great...he apparently was ready. My son wasn't even thinking about it when he was two and I was training alot of kids.

My daughter was trained by the age of two. She wanted to be big and my friend was babysitting her while I worked. That's an example of how early girls can be. I'm not saying boys are not able to train before the age of 3, but as a guide, that's when they seem to be ready.

22. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 16, 2005

laylasmom
    My friend put undies on her son at night with pullups over them. This way he felt the wetness but it didn't go into his bed.

Happy potty training!

23. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 16, 2005

Thanks for all the great ideas and advice. My son has been saying "poopy" since he was 16 mos. old-either meaning there is one in there, or he is about to go. However, he only does this about 25% of the time. And with "no" being his favorite word, when I ask if he has a dirty diaper (whether he does or not) he says no. He has the potty and a book in the bathroom, and sometimes sits on it. Right now it is getting more use out of being a stool for brushing teeth, but hey, it's getting use! I am so nervous about starting him too early and then having it be a control thing for him. My friend was pressured into training earlier than she thought her son could handle it, by daycare, and it didn't go well. She said looking back, she wished she had waited til he was 3. I wish my son would just say, "Hey mommy, I'm ready." WHy can't it be that easy?! I like the idea of the undies with the pull up over for nighttime. :)

Thanks again!

24. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 16, 2005

Wouldn't it be great if all our kids said, "Hey mommy, I'm ready." I think you have something there Beth!

Happy potty training!

25. laylasmom

laylasmom Rookie

Aug 17, 2005

Thanks! I'll try it!

26. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2005

Ok, I'm NOT going to tell you this to scare you, just give you an example.

My little cousin was in night time diapers until she was almost 8 because she had a bladder control problem that affected her at night and she was also a REALLY heavy sleeper. She went through a sort of therapy to gain her bladder control back because somehow her control was very minimal. There were just exercises she would do at home and eventually she got the hang of it. Her problem was medical. If your child has been potty training for awhile and you think there might be a problem, there's no harm in getting your child checked out. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Now, I'm not suggesting your child does have a medical issue, I'm just giving that scenerio to cover a different side of the issue that usually wouldn't get brought up, that's all:).

PS: sometimes it just takes awhile for them to gain that control in their sleep. I've known kids who go almost a year, especially if they are really heavy sleepers. Just one word of advice, once you take them off-don't go back. Accidents will happen regardless at some point. My son has had his fair share at night especially when we don't watch his liquid intake. You just don't want to confuse them.

27. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2005

Oh, one more thing. Do you have a water proof mattress. We got our son two of them at Wal-mart. That way we have one handy when he does have an accident and it doesn't get the mattress all wet and icky. The second one stays in his closet. When he has an accident we just change the pad along with his sheets-nice and easy (well, as easy as 3am can be;)).

28. laylasmom

laylasmom Rookie

Aug 17, 2005

Thanks for the warning. I will keep my eyes open for a problem. My gut is telling me she has just gotten used to the pull-up and isn't really trying to hold it or go to the restroom. But if it doesn't get better I will certainly keep that in mind. :) Are the mattresses you are talking about matresses or mattress pads? Right now we have super-absorbant pads (the medical kind)down under her sheets where she usually has an accident. That is working to protect the mattress but I feel bad for her because the make noise. It's like having a newspaper under her sheet. I've seen plastic fitted sheets but I can't seem to find them.

29. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2005

Oh sorry, yes, I meant mattress pad! The ones I got from Wal-mart do not make any more noise than a normal pad. It's plastic on the under side, and material on the top. That way they aren't making lots of noise in their sleep. When he has an accident, all I do is roll everything up in the mattress pad and throw it in the basement for laundring in the morning. AND, they are a little thicker too so it makes it more comfortable. I think they were $15.

30. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 17, 2005

Jen had another good idea (as always). No liquids after 6:00 p.m. is the norm. I agree once you go to undies, don't go back to pullups or diapers. That's what the mom did in my last example and he's now 5. She got lazy and didn't realize how much she was confusing him...no wonder why he just trained.

31. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 17, 2005

I remember my mother always taped a plastic trash bag to the bed. My brother had accidents up until he was about ten years old. They are noise, like you have discribed.

32. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2005

One of my "moms" did that as well with her little girl. I could go on and on about her. She would let me put her in underwear during the day (without accidents mind you), put her in a pull up when she got picked up (so she wouldn't have an accident in the car) and then leave it on her the rest of the evening! Can you say...lazy? She would always say she didn't feel well and didn't want to have to take her to the potty. She is also a hypocondriac (sp?) UGH! People like that frustrate me.

We also don't give my son liquids after a certain time. The only thing that stinks is that sometimes we don't eat dinner until 6:30pm because my husband sometimes works later, but then, we usually have him stay up another 1/2 hour or so so it works out. We don't let him load up too much liquids to begin with either. He tends to want to ignore the signs his body is giving him if he is too involved in something, then waits until it's too late. Oh, and get this...when he first started potty training he would have accidents on purpose to get out of his time outs!!! I finally caught on after the fourth or fifth time it happend. Some people would probably argue and say it wasn't on purpose, but I know my kid. He's a sneaky little stinker. Love my boy to death, but he thinks of some creative and crazy things sometimes, and ANYTHING to get out of a time out.

33. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2005

Hey, whatever works! My aunt and uncle use to put my cousin to sleep in a laundry basket because they didn't have the money at first for a crib.

34. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 17, 2005

Jen,
    are your kids still little? How old?

35. skippyk

skippyk Guest

Aug 17, 2005

My take on potty training is that kids will do it when it is convenient for them. My son was a little over 3 when he finally got it. To get him trained I used a tactic I read in a book called Outwitting Toddlers by Bill Adler. The book said if the child didn't care if they were in soiled pants (which was the problem I had) to put them straight into regular underwear and make them clean themselves and change their clothes when the had an accident. After having to clean himself up twice for each type of accident he got it. For my older twin, I told her she was going to start wearing big girl panties and it took about 1 week for her to get it. She was 3. For the younger twin, who I told the same thing about the big girl panties at the same time as her sister, I am still fighting the battle. She's now 4. She knows where to go, she just won't. If I remind she will but otherwise forget it. I have tried everything I can think of from stickers to candy treats to holding her dress up clothes hostage to setting a timer for her to go every hour. I have kept her in pullups until last week so she wouldn't make messes all over the house. Now I have decided to put the advise from the book to use again. It works some days and some days it doesn't. She stayed dry all day the day before yesterday, and stayed dry all night last night so I thought we were getting somewhere. Today though she has had 3 accidents. I'm trying to make it as easy as possible for her. She wears dresses all day. She's sneaky about her accidents. She doesn't tell me. I have to find the wet socks that were in the way when she did it standing up or I step in a puddle. If I can get her to go where she's supposed to without me having to remind her, I really feel like all the other parenting challenges will be a piece of cake.

36. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2005

We only have the one, and he just turned 3, so this was a recent experience for us. I'm oh so looking forward to the battles that lie ahead:eek:! I have 5 kids in my home preschool/daycare, all the same age, all that I potty trained-except for one. The girls were easier than the boys by far, but that may be just my experience. I've been told otherwise.

37. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 17, 2005

Thanks for the title, Skippyk, I will have to get that. I am just so stuck on when to start, becauase as many of you have said, once you start, don't turn back-so am thinking I may wait til he's 2 1/2 yrs old. Thanks again! :)