Potty training tips for 2 year olds.

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Audria007, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Audria007

Audria007 Rookie

Jul 22, 2016

I have a lot of children in my class that are already potty trained 5 out of 10 of them are. I have a parent that is trying to potty train and is trying to do the right to panty method. Which is fine because in the past I have seen that work the best. But she sends her child and she is only sending 1-2 outfits a day and she puts her I'm 1 piece outfits that I have to unbutton. The romper she had on yesterday had buttons down the entire thing and I couldn't pull it down with unbuttoning all 8 buttons. Which resulted in an accident. She also puts her in Jordan's and chuck Taylor's which are impossible to take on and off and also if they are urinated on they have to dry. So I decided to write a letter that I can give to all parents ready to potty train using the right to underwear method. Some tips I have so far is
    -wear pants, shorts ,skirts, or leggings that have an elastic waste band for easy access to the potty(no buttons or zippers)
    -bring about 8 outfits (shirt pants socks)
    -Wear shoes that can easily be wiped off such as crocks or jelly shoes
    I also need help with wording the letter. I was thinking " Hooray! It's time for underwear. Here are some tips for potty training" or something like that. I am terrible at wording.

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2016

Like the idea of sending a letter...
    What about Potty Practice.....
    I would do a sections of Potty Pitfalls like the buttons, zippers, etc

vickilyn likes this.
  4. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jul 22, 2016

8 outfits just for school?! That seems unreasonable to me as a parent. My kids don't have that many outfits that I could send 8 to school and have enough at home, too.

5. Audria007

Audria007 Rookie

Jul 22, 2016

If the parent is choosing to do the right to underwear method we have to be prepared for a lot of accidents the first few days. My own wouldn't use all of those outfits but I have had to use about that many on some children. It's unreasonable for a child who has only known a diaper her entire life that is entering this entire new life of big kid underwear and only expect to have a or 2 accidents. If parents don't want to use pull ups I fully support that due to my own experience it's faster to do the right to underwear method but they can't expect them to have so little accidents the first few days.

6. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 22, 2016

Are you having them sit on the potty every half hour or so?
    I know that's hard with so many children but that should cut down on accidents.
    I also support the straight to underwear method but I've never had 2-year-olds (although I only worked with them for a couple years) have that many accidents in one day. Going through 8 outfits?! That's insane. They usually only had 1-2 accidents a day if any

7. Audria007

Audria007 Rookie

Jul 23, 2016

I do try my best to sit them on the Potty every 30 minutes. I am pretty proud of my class right now I have 5 children completely potty trained and they are all under 2 and a half. And 1 that is currently training out of 10 kids. A lot of our accidents happen when we are outside at circle time and during meal times also we only have 1 potty in our room so if another child is using it and the potty training child doesn't know how to hold it yet we have an accident. After the first 3 days they start to get the hang of it then so many clothes aren't needed but if they have never used the potty before or don't know the concept it is a tough first few days. I sit them on the potty before meal times and before we go outside but if they have never used the potty before they sometimes don't realize they are supposed to pee in the potty and still go in their pants even after they have JUST gotten off the potty. Then when they do pee in the potty and see our reaction they become excited and start to get the entire concept with accidents here and there but maybe 1 or 2.

8. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 23, 2016

I would suggest to the parents to start it at home and then you can continue it at school

9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 24, 2016

And here I am with an only mostly potty-trained 3.5 year old! :p I was nervous when we first started potty training her that I still sent her to preschool in pullups (despite the fact that her teacher personally had done elimination communication with her own children and had no qualms about accidents) and did panties at home. Then... we just stopped caring. Her teacher just took her potty frequently, and to me that seems the best.

10. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 24, 2016

I used to work in daycare so I know how hard it is and I'm so appreciative to the teachers of the toddlers and 2's! I've been in your shoes!
    I now work in a somewhat public preschool where the kids MUST be potty trained by the first day of school. Parents are not allowed to send their 3yo in pull-ups