Potty training, should it be mandatory in preschool?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by teachpk, Sep 5, 2018.

1. teachpk

teachpk Rookie

Sep 5, 2018

Hello Everyone. So,,,,, I work in a center where it is NOT MANDATORY that preschoolers are potty trained to enroll. To be honest, the policy didn't phase me much because my preschoolers were always potty trained. However, during the last 2-3 years, things have definitely changed and I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I only have a few 3s in the class this year but mostly 4s. The 3s are totally trained. I am wondering if any preschool teachers out there who have been teaching a while have noticed this trend......it seems that during the last few years or more, A LOT of four year olds in my preschool class are still wearing diapers. Why??? When I meet the parents and they tell me this, I can't help but look shocked. Then laugh it off and say "we're working on it". I want to say "Uh, when did you begin working on it, yesterday?" I'm sorry and you may think I am a terrible person, but I can't help but blame the parents for their laziness. Potty training should be introduced well before the age of four. Believe me, I know each child is different and I realize that some children still wear diapers at night while sleeping, (totally understandable) but 4s in diapers? Never in all my preschool teaching years (20+) have I had a 4 year old in diapers.

I'd love to know about your classrooms if you would like to share. Thanks.

3. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 5, 2018

It's required in my program for our typical peer models. Students on IEPs, of course, are not required. It was required when I taught Head Start too, but, that's been over ten years ago.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  4. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Sep 5, 2018

In many of the facilities that I have worked for required students to be potty trained by the age of 3 and if they weren't by the time they entered PreK they were not allowed back until they were potty trained. At a certain age, it can become a health hazard and too much time for the teacher. The parents are forever wanting people to do their jobs

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 5, 2018

I’ve never taught preschool, or even elementary. However, my first cousin’s daughter just started preschool. She’s three and still in diapers. She loves school, and they are working on potty training at school.

I’m not sure Mom knows exactly how to potty train, and I’m guessing daughter is going to be classified as developmentally delayed. Typically I’d expect a three year old to be potty trained.

6. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Sep 5, 2018

One school I worked at had a separate classroom for 3-year-olds who were not potty trained yet, but definitely couldn't move up to Pre-K / 4's until they were potty trained due to not having a changing table!!
    When I worked in Head Start, they used to require all kids to be potty trained but in recent years, took away that rule due to lack of enrollment, so they started accepting everybody as long as they met the other requirements (age, income, etc.) :rolleyes:

But I totally agree that all preschoolers should be potty trained. Unless there are other issues, there is no reason for kids that old to not be potty trained.

7. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Sep 6, 2018

I actually think it should be required for Pre-Kindergarten and beyond because some non-disabled children may require additional time to grasp the concept. There are a lot of students (age 3) who are not accepted in may simply need a few more months. I do not feel this is inconvenient. To ensure there is no gap at the start of Pre-K and K, I even think it should be included in the curriculum. An extra year could really go a long way for a lot of students.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 6, 2018

Our three-year-old room was not licensed for diapering, so students had to be potty trained to go into that room. Since the ratio in that room was bigger, it was a bit less expensive than the 2-year-old class. So parents were very motivated to get the job done!

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 7, 2018

Another parent job having to be taken over by teachers.
    Next up: Teachers will have to go to each child's house to get them dressed (appropriately) for school each morning :dizzy:

10. msaly

msaly Comrade

Sep 20, 2018

I have definitely noticed the trend!! Our school rule was fully potty trained before starting 3's. In the last 2 years there have been so many kids still in diapers that they changed the rule and kids in diapers have to pay a higher tuition and sign a potty training contract that give them a certain amount of time to be trained unless of course there is a medical issue. I actually have a child with a medical condition regarding going potty and they are still completely trained! We are not licensed for a changing table in our room so we have to take the kids to the 2 year old class to change them. It's ridiculous. My favorite excuse so far has been "the books say he isn't ready yet".

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 20, 2018

:dizzy:

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 20, 2018

Wellllllllllllllllllllllll... I've seen a social worker go to a home for one of our SPE students.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 20, 2018

My site is PreK through 6th grade. We do not accept any PreKs who aren't potty trained. We have parents who fib and say their child is potty trained, but they really aren't. We tell them, "Unfortunately, your child isn't potty trained, so they can't attend any schools in our district. Once they're ready, though, we'd love to have them again! Bring them in as soon as they're potty trained and we'll re-enroll them!"

Zelda~* likes this.
  14. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 21, 2018

Bah, I'm now thinking about my almost-three-year old who isn't potty-trained (she... kicks the potty whenever we bring it up).

Frankly, I see preschool as a nice but unnecessary thing. A child with medical/developmental issues could argue a free pass. The rest of them? They really ought to be potty-trained for preschool.

Disclaimer: I don't mean unnecessary in a deprecating way. I think preschool is awesome and I admire the teachers. But preschool itself... I don't think one could easily demand whim-based accomodations for a right to attend preschool.

15. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Sep 21, 2018

It is funny because it is kind of true. (May be not the responsibility you specifically said, but something similar is happening currently.)

16. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2018

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019