Potty Humor

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Learner4Life, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jan 6, 2012

My class this year is INCREDIBLY immature and I'm really getting sick of the potty humor!!! Today they had European (your a peein') on their Math worksheet and the giggles would not stop! You say gas in Science and it's another blow up of giggles and snorts. The last time someone farted in class, it took them 20 minutes to calm down!!!
    Anyone have any suggestions!?!?!

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 6, 2012

I still can't use the variable P for anything.

Oh, and I dread my noon doody day.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2012

I'm not much help. I have the sense of humor of a 12-year-old boy and all that stuff you mentioned makes me giggle too.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2012

It doesn't get any better as they get older--the list of words you can't say just gets longer. :whistle: I think it's just one of those things you have to get used to. I tend to roll my eyes, say, "Yes, I know what I/you/they just said. Now get your laughs out so that we can continue."

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2012

I agree with MrsC. I make some comment very similar and then I move on with my lesson. It seems to settle them down.

If one student just cannot stop laughing, I ask them to go out in the hallway until they are ready to join us again.

7. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jan 6, 2012

I get soooo sick of that when I am subbing!!! Kids can be so vulgar and I just can't stand it. I'm a real snob. Sometimes I completely ignore it. Adding more attention by correcting seems to make it worse for alot of classes. I have decided however, when and if I am ever a parent, my kids Will Not know what those vulgar words even mean. That might be difficult but it just annoys me to death!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2012

Consequences...

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2012

The thing is, is isn't usually vulgar words that set them off. It's the "harmless" everyday ones that you least expect. I'm not sure that you can say "balls" in a class of young adolescents without getting some snickers; I don't make a big deal about it, just make it clear that we need to get back on track.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 6, 2012

I team teach gym class with 2 other teachers. We always giggle when the teacher leading the class asked for the balls, the big balls, the little balls, the soft balls, says a ball is not hard enough, tells a student not to slap the ball while dribbling. We teach all boys and thankfully they just think that we are crazy:lol:

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2012

...and saying "hold your balls" is just an invitation to throw your lesson plans out the window!:whistle:

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 6, 2012

:spitwater: I forgot about this one MrsC! I also love asking for the blue balls! :lol:

13. texaspenguin

texaspenguin Rookie

Jan 6, 2012

I have used some things that set them on like that on purpose to get them used to it and they often calm themselves. Although, I had a laugh myself when I say "ball bag".

14. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jan 7, 2012

Without consequences, 5th graders will take control of any given situation and you will be powerless. If they giggle for a moment over some given word, that is one thing. However if they continue to giggle, this is purely by their choice and should not be tolerated. I know my 5th graders know that I don't allow this, so when it happens I simply say the word "Enough" or if I really think it might be something funny I say "Okay, everyone you've got 10 seconds to get the giggles out of your system, then we're moving on". Then I call their attention after 10 seconds. If students continue to laugh, I hand out a yellow warning card. They know if they get one of these the next step is a red card which is a lunch detention. Over a bit of time, this silenced everyone, but one student. For that boy, I eventually called his mom. That child's giggling hasn't been a problem since.

This might seem like an innocent problem, but there are 2 reasons to take it seriously:

1. It will incredibly eat up valuable instruction time.
    2. It will gross out and make uncomfortable more sensitive and innocent students in your classroom--especially a few of the girls.

I am glad you are concerned about this issue and I wish you luck in dealing with it.

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 7, 2012

Count me on the list of having the sense of humor of a 12 year old boy. I used to tell my boys that they should eat their broccoli and beans because it would help them have loud, stinky farts (this worked a little too well, as now I spend way too much money in the produce section.)

That said, it's normal for kids to snicker, but after they have their snicker, there has to be some control of the classroom. I think there's been some good advise given for the "after-giggle" moment.

16. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jan 7, 2012

I understand that it's normal for this age and will probably get worse in the future. Believe it or not, my biggest offender is a GIRL who even writes about poop in her writing journal, just to get a giggle from her classmates. I've NEVER had this immature of a class before.
    I'm am going to have to reign this in, however. So I guess starting Monday we're going to start having lessons on maturity, in the name of moving on to Middle School!

17. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jan 10, 2012

SOOOOOO I made this HUGE deal about maturity on Monday. We're having daily discussions about it and they're REALLY being challenged because one of our vocab words this week is... ERECTED (it's like the reading series knew!)!

18. themilocat

themilocat Rookie

Jan 10, 2012

I tell them to get their giggles out and give them about a minute to just giggle about things, like Uranus and the cups labeled with a P from our latest science kit. It seems to help with the giggles. Today, we were reading about women of the Revolutionary War and someone with the last name Flucker was mentioned...In math one day the word problem involved chicken breasts....why would you put those things into a 5th grade text book anyway???? It's just asking for giggles!