Pots and pans?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lnm130, Aug 8, 2012.

1. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Aug 8, 2012

I am looking to register for my wedding at Bed Bath and Beyond, and am in need of some advice. I need pots and pans!

I cook 6 nights a week, and my $50 set is just no cutting it anymore. How do you pick out pots and pans? What do you use? I don't know the differences in types or anything! I want to register for something people can afford, but will also last me a long while.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2012

BB&B carry AllClad and Calphalon...both highly rated, excellent brands...pricey but worth the cost.

4. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Aug 8, 2012

I recently got a set of hard-anodized pans. (They are Food Network brand which I think is only at Kohl's, but other brands make the same type.) So far, I really like them! They clean very easily.

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 8, 2012

I bought red KitchenAide ones to match my blender earlier this summer. I love them.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2012

I'm loving my Calphalon! I'm the same, cook 6 nights a week, pots and pans take a beating... they're holding up great!

If I could just have a gas stove, I'd be perfectly set in the kitchen.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2012

I have a set of stainless steel Farberware. (They are SO much easier to find than they were years ago-even Walmart carries some of the line.)

My mom has had her set of Farberware for almost 35 years. My set is almost 10 years old. I (living alone) do not cook nearly as much as she does. Since they are stainless steel, you don't have to worry about scratches!

I do buy a non-stick frying pan every few years to make things like fried eggs, grilled cheeses, etc...

8. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Aug 8, 2012

I would highly recommend Lodge cast iron for frying pans. I used to have some good quality non-stick pans and over the years the non-stick wears off and the pan is no good. I've got 6 cast iron pans (wok, pancake griddle, 5 inch, 7 inch, 10 inch, and 14 inch) and they are so much better than any "non stick" pan. Once they are seasoned, food won't stick to them - even eggs and pancakes. I really like how they heat evenly. They are heavy, but once you spend the money for them, they will last for more than one generation.

As for pots, I have Farberware Millenium and am still as in love with them as I was when I got them 12 years ago. They are heavy 18/10 stainless steel pots with lids and are holding up great. I have a large stock pot, a smaller stock pot, double boiler, and a small pot. I will not be exchanging them for anything.

9. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 8, 2012

Go for a heavier gauge set of pots and pans. They seem to conduct and hold the heat better.

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2012

I bought a set from a "party" in the dorm back in 1972. It's the so-called waterless cookware, stainless steel on the inside and outside and cast iron in the middle. We're still using it, with the exception of the frying pan -- we use Circulon non-stick pans for frying.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2012

I love my beautiful set of stainless (inside and out) Food Network pots and pans. Very good weight. But they may onlybe ag Kohls...

12. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2012

I cook all the time, but limiit my cookware to just a few carefully selected pieces. I have an anodized Calphalon skillet, an AllClad stainless chef pan (3 qt), and a big stainless Calphalon pasta pot/steamer.

I don't use anything nonstick because of our birds. Teflon or any of those coatings are fatally toxic to them. Doesn't inspire confidence for humans either!

I want a Le Crueset casserole, but every time I'm tempted, I realize it's too heavy for me to lift and move around safely.

I've found that two or three expensive, quality pans are the way to go, but I don't tend to need lots of different things going at once. Between the saute pan and chef pan, 80% of my cooking needs are covered. Sets take up so much room and have many pieces that may never be used.

Maybe make a list of things you cook and see what sorts of pans would work for most. You could always visit someplace like Williams Sonoma and talk to the employees. You'll probably find a tempting item or two there to justify their time. (my favorite WS pick is their $30 French steel crepe pan. Crepes come out perfect and are so easy to make. I make up a stack on Sunday, and keep them covered in the fridge. I spread on peanut butter and jelly and roll them up for quick weekday breakfasts.)

Do you have nice knives?

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 8, 2012

I own and LOVE my All-Clad. They're expensive, but totally worth it. They come with a lifetime warranty. If you can somehow manage to ruin an All-Clad pot or pan (which is difficult, but not impossible) they will replace it at no cost. Depending on the piece, you can often times walk into a store that carries them and walk out with the replacement piece in just a few minutes.

If cost is a factor, "Emerilware" by All-Clad is a good alternative. They're a bit lighter than regular All-Clad, and easier to dent and ding, but otherwise function as well as the "real" stuff.

14. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Aug 8, 2012

I have more knives than I know what to do with! I guess I need to research the different types (Non-stick, anodized...all that). It's just a bit overwhelming.

Would you all register for a set, or individually?

15. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 8, 2012

I would do individually unless you know that there are people who are willing to spend quite a bit on a set. I'd recommend other materials that are not non-stick. The jury is still out on whether or not it's truly safe, and you'd have to be careful with what utensils you use on it (no metal ones to keep from scratching).

Definitely get a cast-iron pan if you don't have one! And make sure you know how to care for it. :)