Pots and pans

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Missy, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 29, 2010

I need to buy some new pots and pans. I have always used non-stick, but even buying a fairly expensive set last time, they start to fall apart in a few years.

What do you recommend? I am willing to try non-stick (it will give me a new excuse for dinner not turning out great!), but I definitely want something that will last a LONG time.

My aunt recommends All-Clad; does anyone know if it worth the price?

Thanks!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 29, 2010

I wish I knew what kind of cookware my mom has, but it's waterless. She bought it before I was born, and it still looks like new. It's gotten a lot of use, too. Mom cooked every meal every day, with very few restaurant meals. They never owned a microwave until I gave them mine from college.

It was expensive, and it's non-stick. Whatever the price, I think it's been well worth it. I bought a fairly expensive set of non-stick cookware when I got married. We've replaced several pieces already.

4. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Dec 29, 2010

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 29, 2010

My Mom swears by All-Clad. She said it's expensive but will last a lifetime and she does a lot of cooking. You can sometimes find pieces of a collection at TJ Maxx at a much reduced price if you want to try some out and see.

6. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 29, 2010

I have the calaphon tri ply stainless steel 13 piece set. We registered for it for our wedding and I am happy with it.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 29, 2010

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and did I mention, YES! If you've got the money to invest in them, you won't regret it.

Plus, their warranty is outstanding. I recently burned (like fire in the bottom of the pan, burned) oatmeal. I tried everything to clean the pan. I couldn't do it. I went into the nearest store that sells All-Clad, handed them the pan, they did some paperwork, and handed me a brand new-identical pan. No questions asked. It's the Craftsman hand tool warranty of kitchen ware.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2010

I've had the same set of Farberware copper bottom pots for 27 years! They make a nice looking set of nonstick called Affiniti.

ETA: realized that I don't have Farberware, I have RevereWare...:whistle:

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 29, 2010

I'm slowly purchasing an All-Clad set of pots and pans..

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 29, 2010

On the non-stick line of things, I was given a set of Faberware as a housewarming gift a year and a half ago. I do like them a lot. I'm partial to my All-Clad though. I didn't think I was going to get them back, so I'm ever so glad I did.

11. Hifiman

Hifiman Rookie

Dec 29, 2010

Calphalon

Is the brand we have. All clad looks awfully nice, but I thought Calphalon was a good compromise in price and product.

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 30, 2010

My favorite pans are from Pampered Chef. I actually prefer them to my All Clad which are certainly good as well. But I absolutely love my Pampered Chef ones. I have bought them while a hostess which reduced the cost by quite a bit. They are far from inexpensive.

13. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2010

I have T fal pans. They aren't that expensive. My set is about 15 years old and I recently had to replace a frying pan but everything else is still in great shape. I put them in the dishwasher so the color isn't as pretty anymore.

14. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Dec 30, 2010

This is my recommendation (based on what I have). I would get one decent non-stick pancake griddle, and one large decent (but not expensive since they don't last forever) non-stick pan, and then I would get a cast iron wok, and 4 sizes of cast iron pans and lids to fit, and one enamel cast iron dutch oven. I like my non-stick pan for making cream sauces and omlets, but my cast iron is without value to me. It cooks food evenly, cleans up easily, once it is good and seasoned, cooks just like a non-stick pan, and it lasts forever. I have a cast iron wok that is amazing for cooking asian foods in because it gets hot and doesn't leave the yucky metallic after taste that many woks leave. I wouldn't trade in my cast iron for anything.

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 31, 2010

Thanks for all the suggestions! I plan to go shopping next week-end and look around for some of the ideas you have shared. I'll let you know what I get!

16. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 31, 2010

I have T-Fal... I got my set back in '96. I finally wore out the skillet. The other pots are holding up well.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 31, 2010

IKEA's middle-line cookware is pretty good - and the reasonable price is a plus, since my household is, um, kind of hard on nonstick surfaces.

18. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jan 1, 2011

I know Calphalon is the best. We got some from Amazon, and the set was originally like, $600, but we got it for $200. It's still a big investment, but check amazon for good deals!

19. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jan 1, 2011

We have All Clad. My MIL bought it for us for our wedding gift. She got it significantly discounted at the Williams Sonoma outlet. I like it, but our stove gets the pan too hot, and leaves a residue. We got cleaner to remove it, but it's a pain.

My two cents: Consider what type of stove you have before you purchase. My All Clad isn't recommended for electric ranges. Same with copper.

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 1, 2011

I just had another thought. If All-Clad is too expensive, there is a reasonable lower-end line made by them. Emerilware, a line put out by the chef and made by All-Clad is a very good set of pots and pans. They're a little lighter than standard All-Clad, but I know several people who own them and really like them.

21. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jan 2, 2011

I read once non-stick gets scratched you should toss it because the chemicals from the non stick material will get into your food...not sure if I read an accurate article or not, bt something to consider in your search/