Potential Interview with KIPP

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by emmakate218, Apr 11, 2010.

1. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2010

In an attempt to find a teaching position this year, I am expanding my search beyond the Austin area to include the Houston and DFW areas. I have a strong desire to move and I have my eyes set on Houston - for numerous reasons.

I applied with the KIPP system in Houston and last week, sent my resume to a new school that will open for the upcoming school year. I graduated two years ago with my education degree and certification and have subbed for two years. As I expected, the director wants to interview me - not for a lead teaching position, but a teaching fellows position. KIPP's teaching fellows are new teachers that teach alongside an "experienced" lead teacher for a year and then become a lead teacher (if they do well, that is!). I have no problem with this really...as long as the position has a salary that a person can actually live off of! Salary information isn't readily available, but according to AEIS reports on nearby KIPP schools, I know what lead teachers make and it's more than comparable to the local school districts. I also discovered that teaching fellows at a new KIPP school in the Austin area make a "doable" salary. Ugh. I just don't want to make the drive to Houston to interview with the director if the salary is ridiculous. Like I said, I don't mind working alongside "experienced" teachers because I think it'd be a great opportunity to learn and grow. I also don't mind not making the full lead teacher salary if it means I'd be make it after one year of being a fellow and as long as the salary would be "doable."

I guess what I'm looking for is encouragement. :) Ha ha.

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2010

Good luck! Will you be working until 6 (I believe that's when school gets out)? Will you also be on-call until 9 or so. Just be aware of the long hours.

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Apr 11, 2010

I've heard the same as Peachyness. It's an okay salary, but the hours are brutal.

5. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2010

I interviewed at a KIPP school a few years ago. It is an INCREDIBLY DEMANDING job to be a KIPP teacher. I would only do this if you are interested in the KIPP philosophy, not just getting a teaching job. They have Saturday school, teachers have cell phones that are expected to be answered at all times to assist students with school and social questions, school day is an hour to two hours longer than a regular school day, they go through the Summer, there is a LOT involved.

With that being said, it's a wonderful program. The kids make incredible gains. If you see where some of the kids were when they started the program and where they are now, you'd be very impressed. The program has a great reputation and it does have the best interest of kids in mind.

The benefits are that the parents had to work really hard to get their kids into that school, so usually the parents are on your side, as they are required to be a part of the "village" that raises the kids. There is also a lot of support from the administration (who are also incredibly involved with the long hours, always available cell phone, etc.)

I was interviewed for a teaching position because the school was brand new, so I don't know much about the fellow positions. I heard about the fellow positions later on and I thought I heard that they get paid a decent salary. But, you're right, that it wouldn't make sense to get LESS than that of a regular teacher salary AND have all of what I described above. I tried googling it but came up with nothing - no figures out there.

Good luck in your decision!

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 11, 2010

I love what I've read about KIPP schools, but I don't think I could teach at one. I don't want anybody calling me at 9:30pm about math homework. I don't want ANYBODY calling me at 9:30pm haha. I'm very serious about my Me time. KIPP is not a job. KIPP is a lifestyle!

7. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2010

I was aware of long hours and all. However, I don't know if I'd be required to be on call for homework help since the grade I'd teach would be kindergarten and it'd be the only grade at the school (they add a grade each year). Still, after the potential-job-euphoria wore off, I know I have no desire for the KIPP lifestyle as MsDippel stated.

I did discover that their hours are roughly 7-5...even for kindergartners! And anyone that knows super young children, knows that after the morning, you might as well send them home.

8. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Apr 18, 2010

Yeah I thought about the new school in Austin. I completely agree with the philosophy, I just had to realize that it does not fit into my life right now. I know a lot of kids from my school will be going to KIPP next year so I thought of going with them. Just couldn't do the hours.

9. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2010

Hey, mego65. How's the year gone?

About a week after I applied to the new KIPP school here in Austin, I received a rejection letter stating that they would not be continuing the application process with me. Ha ha! :)

I agree, I couldn't do the hours as well.