Posting videos for students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by readingrules12, Jun 30, 2020.

1. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 30, 2020

Okay, I have made educational videos of myself teaching that I have used in the classroom. However, I have never posted any of them online to watch at home. I would prefer to have the videos to be private for students, parents, and administration to watch and not the whole world. For those who have tried this or might be soon, how best to do this? Is a private YouTube channel the way to go? Is there another site to do this? I am guessing that 10 minute videos might require too much memory on Google Classroom. Any help is greatly appreciated.

3. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Jun 30, 2020

What I did was recorded my videos via iMovie on my mac, added my required captioning, then uploaded them to my google classroom. The big step is that I compressed the files when I transferred them from iMovie files to MP4s. The kids don't need hi-def and that would take my video files down to about 150MB for 5-ish minutes. I wasn't using the lowest settings either.
    There's other programs that can compress files that aren't iMovie, so you're fine on windows too.

Private YouTube is another route, but you'd want to run that past your school tech person. You'll have to make sure your channel is set up the right way so that it gets through YouTube content filters as designed for children. Our tech gal had to clear each individual channel through the school's filter too before the kids had access on school devices or on school wifi.

readingrules12 likes this.
  4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2020

I used youtube. I didn't create a channel. When you upload the video, you will have to specify the privacy settings. We were instructed to choose "unlisted." This means that students must have the link (provided by you) in order to access the video. It doesn't come up in searches or anything like that.

readingrules12 likes this.