Posting State Standards

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ayotte04, Jul 15, 2007.

1. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

In the schools I've been in the administration requires that state standards (i.e. Writing Standards 1.7 "students will be able to...")you are teaching for the day be posted. I've seen some teachers write it on their boards, or print it out on paper and clip those onto the whiteboards.

One idea that I saw (and specifically bought a pocket chart for this) was to write the standards on sentence strips and put those strips into the pocket charts. This way it doesn't take up space on your chalk/whiteboard, it's more durable, it lasts longer, it's easy to change your standards in just a few seconds, and it looks more organized.

Maybe you should try it....or maybe you have a better idea? I just thought it was something simple that made a big difference.

3. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Jul 15, 2007

We also have to display the standards as we work on them daily. Your idea using sentence strips sounds great. Thanks for sharing!

4. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Jul 15, 2007

I also am required to display the standards. I have a laminated sign w/ magnets on the back that says "The students will be able to" and underneath I write the standard. I do this because a) it's required and b) the kids understand it! I had the lingo that our standards are written in and the kids don't understand it. This way the kids can see what skill they will be practicing on any given day!

5. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Jul 15, 2007

I'm doing that too! I actually figured out (duh) that I can run the sentence strips through my printer. So I'm in the process of typing them up to fit the sentence strips. I don't know if I will use magnets or a pocket chart yet.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 15, 2007

I display my standards in a pocket chart on sentence strips. I love it! I also have them color-coded by subject so my students know which are math standards, which are science standards, etc. It helps because my admin. will come in the room and ask students what standard they are working on, and they can readily remind themselves if necessary.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 15, 2007

We rewrite ours in "kid-friendly" language. Everyone in the building has them in the same place on the board so the kids always know where to look.

8. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

yeah one of the schools I taught at wanted both types posted...as in the official state standard in the academic language and then the "translated version" the kids understand.

Cyndi, I don't totally understand how you have it displayed on the front and back with your magnets....

Carrie, You can run them through the printer?!!??!?! Oh please tell me how. I have THE worst handwriting a teacher could possibly have. I'm surprised they let me have a state certification. LOL

9. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

I use sentence strips in a pocket chart for the Balanced Literacy "reader responses" that we're required to post. We only work on 2 or 3 responses per day, so I can change them out.

10. lowiq

lowiq Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

Why wouldn't the state workers write them in kid friendly language in the first place

Why wouldn't the state workers write them in kid friendly language in the first place. That way parents can also understand them.
    Do colleges teach interpretation of state standards? I spent quite some time with anxious teachers agonizing over the interpretation of the state standards. We were trying to develop questions around the standards. Finally we pretty much borrowed from another state which already had them in place for several years.
    Seems to me those hired by the state would write as many sample test questions around the standards as needed to make them clear. It seems like instead they are paying a lot more money requiring each teacher to reinvent the wheel.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 15, 2007

I don't know why the standards aren't written in a more "standard" language, but they aren't, lol. And at least here, my college did not teach interpretation of the standards -- just follow them! Luckily, I have practice in reading legalese/double talk, so I can interpret them! :D

12. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Hey that proverb quote...have you done reciprocal teaching? Cause it's the same thing

13. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Jul 16, 2007

The strip is laminated w/ magnets on the back. Once it is on the board, I write the rest of what the kids will learn that day (underneath the sign)

14. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

So it looks something like this:

Writing Standard #2.3.4
    "Academic Language...Academic Language....Academic Language":

(underneath on the board)

- understanding homophones
    -practice writing homophones in your papers
    - other phrases kids understand

?

15. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 16, 2007

So basically, you're giving the standard as it is written and then showing the students how they will accomplish the task. Right? Good idea.

I still haven't decided how I want to post my standards this year. Last year, the 5th grade teachers all used the same bulletin board in the classroom, but there are so many other things I can do with a bulletin board that will help with instruction. I like the idea of posting them (with magnets) on the edge of the dry erase board...that would be near our schedule and the students would know exactly where to look. hmmmm...

16. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 16, 2007

My standards have been re-written so that all of the history I teach is grouped under six overarching standards. Then there are indicators that are more specific, but they really aren't kid friendly.

So, I post the big standard on a sentence strip, and then underneath it I write:

Why are we here?

Then underneath that, I write the objectives for the lesson (may be one day may be a couple, depending) as questions.

:)

17. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Underneath the "why are we here?" part...do you write "because a teacher's salary is so attractive" ?

18. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 16, 2007

Nope, but if I'm feeling froggy I'll say any number of things before I go over the questions we'll answer ;), but only if I have a class I can play with

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

Ancientcivteach: I hope you don't mind a stupid question. Do you teach your history classes based on the chronology of the events, or based on the civilization/culture being taught (Egypt, Rome, etc.)?

20. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 16, 2007

Chronologically or Regionally

A little of both, pwhatley! :) Sort of chronologically by region ;

Ancient civ - prehistory/river valleys -

Classical civ - India/China/Japan
    Greece
    Rome

Medieval - Byzantine, Arabia, and West Africa
    Medieval Europe

Beginnings of the Modern World
    Renaissance
    Reformation
    Exploration and Contact

Its a LOT of history in 180 days - that's why I'm teaching the second we get those notebooks set up! ;)

21. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Lol... i love that attitude to jump right in! hehehe those kids won't know what hit them.

22. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

I am definitely planning to follow Mr. Wong's advice and have assignments the very first day. In our state, 5th graders are responsible for American History, plus current events, civics, etc. Thanks for the answer, ancientcivteach -- that's kind of what I thought (it's practical and makes sense), but it never hurts to ask!

23. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

I think that it depends on the different programs being used in your school and what principals that they have. I've been in some school where you don't post anything. Others had big ideas where you'd have your subjects written in the top corner of the board along with the broad subject being covered (i.e. verbs, nouns, solar system, weather, stars, fractions, etc.)

24. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

We must also post our daily objectives in kid friendly language each day. I have each subjected typed up and laminated and beside it I write what our objective is each day. I do like the idea of writing my objectives on sentence strips and putting them in a pocket chart.