posting learning objective and standard in classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yarnwoman, Jan 1, 2010.

1. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jan 1, 2010

Hello,

Before break I learned that my yearly observation will be in Feb. several teachers who have already had them said they got marked down for not having the lesson objective and standards posted for the students to see. Who does this and how do you do it? I got my credential 20 yrs ago and did not learn to post this. I learned to include it in my written lesson plan and to teach the lesson so the students would learn what the objective was. I want to make sure if it is something I will be evaluated on that I can start doing this when we return from break. Thanks for any advice.

3. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Jan 1, 2010

I have a section of a whiteboard where I post standards/objectives for each class.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2010

Some administrators require this- seems odd that the admin didn't let teachers know before school started that this is what they expect...

5. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Jan 1, 2010

We post objectives and put them in kid-friendly language. Some teachers call them goals, others call them targets.

"I will read the story "The Three Little Pigs" and discuss the beginning, middle, and end".

"I know the long e sound spelled e_e and ee".

"I play a math game that helps me add from 10-20".

"I know the type of shelter Sioux Indians lived in". (etc. etc.)

I just have a spot on my whiteboard as well. I read them to the class and tell them about their targets. We will sometimes refer to them in the middle of class and at the end as well.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 1, 2010

I had a small corner of my board blocked off for this. It's a useless waste of space if you ask me, but since my opinion doesnt count.....*sigh*.

7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 1, 2010

We call them "I can" statements, and our teachers also got in trouble for not doing them. Our board says things like "I can point out states on a U.S. map." or "I can achieve a 90% on my my Accelerated Reader tests."

I'm not sure if that's the same thing, but hope it helps.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 1, 2010

We had to write the actual standard, in its exact wording. For example, if we were doing word problems with lines/slope, with 7th graders, I would have to write: MA.7.A.1.4: Graph proportional relationships and identify the unit rate as the slope of the related function.

I stuck it in a corner of the board, because most 7th graders don't care, and even if they did, they didn't understand the wording.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 1, 2010

We're required to have the Standard and number along with the kid friendly objective on the boards daily.

I copied and pasted all the numbers and the standards from the State Dept. of Ed's web site into a Word doc. Since I have reading, writing, science, math,social studies, and language standards I decided to color code everything. I printed the standards onto colored poster board (8xx11"), then laminated it all. I used green for science, yellow for reading, blue for math.... etc. After laminating it all, I cut them out. My white board is magnetic so I put each laminated Standard with it's number next to my kid friendly objective using cute magnets.
    Since they're color coded science is easily stored as well as the math objectives are. I've even gone so far as to put them in the order that District's pacing guide requires us to use.

I was spending too much time trying to keep up with all this and the color coded system has worked beautifully. The kids could care less about Standard numbers, I want them to see the kid friendly objectives.

I hope this makes sense.

10. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jan 1, 2010

we are required to have the objectives up.I went to Home Depot and got shower board to write down my objectives for every subject. I write my objectives like this:

Literacy:
    SWBAT:
    • Make inferences and draw conclusions.
    • Identify and explain the main idea and important details.
    • Interpret, compare, and describe narrative elements.

SWBAT=Students will be able to do

11. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jan 1, 2010

This is what I was thinking of doing, but I don't have alot of whiteboard space.

12. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jan 1, 2010

That's what I thought as well but there has been some issues among the 3 admin. So I figure I will try to get it up some how.

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 1, 2010

Yarnwoman...I had very little as well. It was worse the year I had to teach in the cafeteria because of renovations that took longer than planned. Maybe that's why I'm so negative about the whole idea.

14. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jan 1, 2010

I agree it seems like a BIG waste of space.

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 1, 2010

Maybe you can buy a small whiteboard from wal-mart or office max or someplace like that and hang it right beside your regular whiteboard. It wouldn't have to be that large to put the standards up, and they're not that expensive....

16. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jan 1, 2010

I like this idea. I teach 8th grade and the whole thing just seems like a waste. My own two children are in high school and they said the teachers write these on the board but nothing is done with them.

17. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2010

The standards are on posters and when I am introducing that particular standard, I put the poster on the board. We go over it and talk about what it means. It seems to be clearer to the students that they are required to understand certain things out of a set of things. It seems to focus them.

Then the posters are placed on hooks on the back wall and refered to almost every day. "Today we are going to continue working on the persuasive writing standard. We've discussed (as I point) how to...... Today we are going to emphasize element A, blah, blah, blah."

I only teach writing and language, but I have some reading standards up there too. If I have the kids write about an event/person in SS, I'll borrow that teacher's poster and we'll go over it, too.

For goal, I write "Goal" on the board. Then at the beginning of class, when I'm talking about what we're going to do today in writing, sometime around then, I'll say, "What's your goal today?" And they'll say (and I'll write) "to use more interesting transition words and phrases." or "to edit for spelling". etc. Again, it focuses the students and makes things clearer.

I have taught 23 years, and I like this new-to-me idea. They need to formally know what they are supposed to learn, what it looks like, and to set a goal for each lesson.

18. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jan 1, 2010

Good Points! I think if it had been explained to us then I would have been more open to it. The only way I learned about needing to have it up was from another teacher being marked down on their eval.

19. ecl

ecl Rookie

Jan 1, 2010

I totally agree. Having the teacher verbally state the objective, as well as point to it on the board, is a powerful focus point for both teacher and students. I have found it to be very worthwhile.

20. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jan 1, 2010

How does this help students learn?

I hate when admins make teachers due stupid things like that... what a waste. :(

21. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 1, 2010

Shouldbeasleep...I'm not doubting your experience, but I had no luck at all when I tried doing that. Maybe the difference in age made the difference. My middle schoolers didn't really care that the state said they had to learn such and such, but they always looked forward to me saying "and why do we care", followed by an explaination of how they could apply whatever topic to their real lives. Connecting the subject to real life focused and motivated them better than anything else I've ever tried.

Once again, I think this standards thing is just another attempted magic bullet. Some students respond to it and others don't. To force it on all of us is just silly.

22. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2010

I'm sure not a fan of forcing it down everyone's throat either. And I sure balked when I was told to put them up and deal with it. No real explanation, etc.

It just works for me and my group of kids. I don't think it's a magic bullet. There isn't one that fits everyone. But I do understand the use of this now. If I hadn't been forced to give it a try, I would have missed out on one way to focus the lesson.

As far as your comment, BioAngel...I think you could tell teachers that they must wear a red Robin Hood hat and stand on one leg before teaching any objective and the kids will learn if the teacher can teach. Too much is made of the "standards" craze. It's a tool out of many tools out there. I like it and it works for me. The red Robin Hood hat wouldn't work for me. Maybe. I haven't tried it, though. Anybody?

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 1, 2010

At least I was given and explaination for why we should put them up there. It just didn't work for me. I got more mileage out of "and why do we care?".

I haven't tried the red Robin Hood hat...though I have dressed like a cheerleader....

24. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 2, 2010

I too put mine on a certain space on the board. At another school I had a separate white board that I wrote it on. I think the key is just to consistently keep it in the same space so you remember easily to change it as needed.

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2010

Would it be possible to post the typed standards, a week or a unit at a time, on a bulletin board?

Then you could post the daily objective as you come to it.

26. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2010

We post objectives in the form of a question (learning focused school method) and the question is introduced at the start of a lesson. My students know they will be expected to answer the question at the conclusion of the lesson even if it's days later. My district provided me with a poster with the standards that I have hanging all year long.

27. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 2, 2010

I can see the objectives being posted in the form of questions or "I can" statements being useful. I don't have the same kind of issue with that as I did when I was required to post the actual standard number and exact wording. Actually, I kind of like the "I can" statements....

28. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 2, 2010

Our objectives often repeat so I use sentence strips in a pocket chart. I think it depends on the age of kids too, whether it's helpful or not. I don't think it's at all useful to my Kinders-even in kid-friendly language. For us, I believe it's more for admin-so when they come in they can see what you are supposed to be doing, then judge if you are doing it or not. I always forget to change them out from subject to subject-I really don't think it makes me less of a teacher (we are discounted on our observations for it too). Ask my kids, they know what they are learning from my opening.

29. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jan 2, 2010

We actually have to say the objectives 3-5 times during a lesson and can be written up if someone walks into our rooms and they don't hear us state the objective.

30. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 2, 2010

I do this everyday. I post my objective in the form of a question for the kids to see and use throughout the lesson. My objectives go up first thing in the morning and stay up throughout the day to revisit.

Ex.Obj. Questions: What is the difference between editing and revision in the writing process?

How can I determine the main idea of story?

What are some strategies I can use to decode an unknown word?

:)I have a white board that I write my objectives on each day. It has the title... What's Our Objective?

Then each subject area is titled:

Reading Workshop: Write Question here

Social Studies: Write Question here

Writing Workshop: Write Question here

Hope this helps!:)

31. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 2, 2010

I'm being observed on Tuesday. I know that this is something that he will be looking for. Although, when I've been in other teachers' rooms I have not seen the objective posted. I don't normally post it, although I do say what we are doing & why.

32. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 2, 2010

I actually like having my objective posted. The kids always know what we are working towards and we revisit that objective throughout the lesson. The kids know that if anyone visits our room for an informal evaluation that they need to be focused on their objective and they can never say when asked why are you doing this.... "I dunno." They have a clear objective that if nothing else they can look at, point to, and use as a reminder. It really empowers them as learners. (Or at least that is my hope!)

33. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jan 2, 2010

Thanks Again everyone! You are all amazing! I knew if I posted this I would get some great information! Now I just have to figure out how to do this with 8th graders!

34. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jan 2, 2010

I have mine posted as well. It's our "new thing". I think it sucks, but if I taught middle or high school again I think it would be easier because I would be self containted. As a kindergarten teacher, I am doing many things all the time and working on multiple goals. I post my literacy and language goals for the week. For example:

I can read and write the word "the".
    I can use "the" in a sentence and share it with a partner.

35. cateste

cateste Companion

Jan 2, 2010

Gottagoodgig has the easiest and most sane way of putting up with this admin garbage. The others are correct that this is a pure waste of time and space. I bet your admin doesn't have daily objectives written in the office.

36. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Jan 2, 2010

I think this can be a waste or a good thing, depending on a lot of factors like the language you can use and the age of the kids, etc. We have to do put up "Learning Goals" and they has to be in the form of "The student will be able to..." or "The student will understand..." whatever. I have usually put mine up for the week and left them, and occasionally forgotten to change them. My P is continually frustrated (because we hear about it frequently) that "Chapter 3" is not an objective. I thought he was exaggerating until state test time when I got kicked out of my room and, even though it's something we get evaluated on at least once every couple of weeks, several teachers have something like "Learning Goals - Chapter 5."

One thing I've noticed is that my students have 0 note-taking skills or study skills and frequently come in on Friday, after we've been doing something for a week, and say "What test? What's it on? Have we gone over that before?":| So this semester I'm going to start providing guided notes with the steps and examples and the learning goal. For example, my power points each have a slide that say "At the end of this lesson you should be able to:" solve absolute value equations, or find the area and perimeter or polygons, or whatever. Since most lessons have more than one objective on the notes I separate by Learning Goal # 1, Learning Goal # 2, etc. I'm not putting the standard on anything except lesson plans because the kids don't care/understand what the state says in their educationese, but they do care (somewhat) about what's going to be on their test. I'm interested to see if more emphasis on the Learning Goals actually makes a difference this semester or not.

37. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jan 2, 2010

I think writing a goal on the board is a great idea! I do this sometimes myself in the form of a focus question that we'll try to plan an investigation for, gather data, and come up with a conclusion. I get that.

However, if the admins require that we write it out based on what is in the standards book I don't think the majority of children are going to understand it.

Something I've tried doing with my students is that after we've completed an objective/focus question, I ask them to reflect on it in a type of personal journaling activity. Then I could technically post these up around the classroom to show any admins walking by that I'm connecting my lessons to the objective/standards and here's my proof: personal student work. Just an idea...

I still think it's sorta a waste if a teacher doesn't really connect it with a lesson/serve a purpose to the students/is being forced by the admins :(

38. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jan 2, 2010

We're required to do this at my school (I teach 7th grade science). My standards are very wordy, so I had them blown up and laminated, and I staple them to the wall. I put all 5 or so for each unit up at once, so I only have to change them every month or two. I've seen other teachers have them on flip charts, so they just flip to the standard of the day. The standards are written in complex language, and the students really don't care about them, so that part is just for my administration.

On one side of my whiteboard, I write the date, the objective(s), and the agenda for the day. I only have 2 preps, so this doesn't take up too much room. About half of my students look there as soon as they enter the classroom because they really like knowing what's coming up in the lesson. Example objective: To describe the flow of blood through the human body. Example agenda (listed as bullet points): Do First, Heart review, Arteries and veins, BrainPOP video. After the students do the Do First (like a warm-up), I go over the objective and the agenda for the lesson.

This is the only way I've ever taught, and it makes perfect sense to me. The students like knowing what they will learn about and the sequence of events for the class. I think this works best for middle and high school, though. I can't imagine posting all of the objectives and standards for a self-contained classroom.

39. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jan 2, 2010

This is my problem we are semi self-contained. I guess I will play around with this. I can see from some of the posts that I already do something similar. I teach history to 3 different classes and post on part of the board what students need to know for the unit test. I just don't have it written as objectives.

40. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2010

California has their standards posted online. Your state may do the same thing. You can just print them out and have them enlarged at Kinkos.

41. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2010

I knew someone who put them on a big poster and had arrows she affixed to the side which she could slide up and down to make it easier to change daily. I agree that it is a great idea to have students know what they are supposed to be learning but you often have to explain what the standard means because the language is confusing. I like the magnetic cards idea too.