Posting data

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Aug 14, 2017.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 14, 2017

Does your school require you to publicly post data in your classroom, and if so, how? Have you found this to be motivating to students?

In another group that I follow, a teacher posted about being upset because she was required to post NWEA (standardized test) scores with names. Bobby Smith - 216; Eli Carr - 176; and so on, in the classroom for everyone to see. Aside from this being a giant violation of FERPA, is this anything you're required to do? What's your opinion on it?

I worked at a school once that had us post class data: Average Math Score - 213; Average Reading Score - 205. I don't mind that much, I guess, except it was kind of useless. We'd then make some kind of graph to show how it went up or down over the year, displayed for all to see.

I've also read about a certain charter school well-known for tough academics sending out a newsletter with names in it of which students were in the Red, Yellow, and Green zones (below, on, above level). I looked for the link of the article I had read about it but couldn't find it. The article had said that it was demotivating because the same kids were always in red.

Thoughts?

3. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Aug 14, 2017

We must have a data wall but are given the choice of what to show and how to show it. I'd prefer not using one at all since many teachers in our school post their names with their score. I try to keep mine as positive as possible and only show the percent my students improved from the pre to the post test. This way all the scores are positive (except for a few who don't improve) but this was the best option I found.

otterpop likes this.
  4. MissyB

MissyB Rookie

Aug 14, 2017

At my old school we were required to post NWEA and Istation scores by placing them in tiers (the same red/yellow/green zones as that charter school) without names. I taught kindergarten so my students really had no idea what it was all about and I tried to do it in the least hurtful way while still meeting the requirements. I used green, yellow, and red string with numbered clothespins for each student that were placed after every assessment. I had it up for admin visits but I instead chose to kept track of their scores in all the assessed sections and celebrated with the students whenever they made any improvement; even if it was only 1 point. Thankfully my new district hates these data walls just as much as I do so I won't have to see them ever.

otterpop likes this.
  5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Aug 14, 2017

We keep our data private. Students keep track of their data and place it in their portfolios. The goal is for each child to focus on personal growth. I believe that data should remain as private as possible. That to me is far more motivating (and ethical) than publicly putting up data.

MissScrimmage and bella84 like this.
  6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 14, 2017

I saw a post in a teacher group today too. I can't believe admin would require something so hurtful. Are folks in admin so out of touch that they don't know that the low babies usually know they are low? You don't have to put it on display for bullying to be made easier. In addition to the hurtful aspect, I think I'd have to call my organization/union as I can see a lawsuit coming. I wouldn't want to get caught in the crossfire.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 14, 2017

Those low kids often have an attitude of, why should I try if I'll fail anyway? Having data up does not fix that. Teaching growth mindset, problem solving, and critical thinking might help, but data walls may actively make those attitudes (and accompanying behavior problems) even worse. :2cents:

readingrules12, mathmagic and bella84 like this.
  8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 15, 2017

I once worked at a school that required us to set a class goal and then post the tracked data towards the goal. We also had to do school-wide reading logs with a posted chart tracking who turned them in every week, plus a posted chart displaying who was on what level of timed math fact tests. I hate posting data, and, luckily, I now work in a district that understands that assessment data is only one component of the overall educational process. We don't post data, and we don't place too high of a value on it, unless it correlates to other things we are seeing as well.

9. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 15, 2017

That's absurd that some of your districts have you post all of that data for all to see!! I teach high school so it's a bit different, but I always post the names of the students with the two highest grades in each class in my "Hall of Fame" each marking period. This way I acknowledge those achievements, but I would never point out low scores.

10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    otterpop likes this.
  11. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Aug 15, 2017

No, my school does not require us to post ANY information. Our admin. is paranoid about confidentiality and educational records. We don't even use full student names in emails or announcements. I would assume that posting grades or test scores would violate the law. I saw something about it being a violation to even post grades with student ID numbers. Not sure if this is true everywhere, but in my school, we could not post anything. I don't even put up papers with grades on the front, even 100%s!

I can't imagine our students even caring all that much about their test scores. They care more about their letter grades. We do have kids who purposely blow the standardized test because they "know" they will "fail."