Post your biggest irrational fear

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Jan 17, 2010.

1. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jan 18, 2010

I don't like sleeping in a room with a door open. I preffer is to be closed and locked, but just closed would be fine! The other is roaches I can't stand them!! Once I was staying at a family friends condo at the beach with my mom and I saw one, but we couldn't kill it before it went in hiding and we could not find it. I slept with a towel under the door so it couldn't come "get" me.

2. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jan 18, 2010

ME TOO!!! I just feel like they are going to fall out from under me! Especially really long ones! It's gotten better over time...but when I was little I had to close my eyes when we went over them.

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2010

:hugs: Sorry about your mom. I'm experiencing somewhat the same thing.

Stress and anxiety almost did me in last year, too ... and since then, I've become hyper-alert to the health issues that caused my mom's death. She died many years ago, so I've processed that. But many of her problems were amplified by her anxious personality style. So, stress scares me.

Thankfully, the matters that were causing me tremendous stress are over now. But it took a few months to decompress from the anxiety. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm going to the doctor next month to have a thorough check up.

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2010

I'm glad to know there is another person who avoids merging and changing lanes as much as I do!

5. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jan 18, 2010

This is mine, I have two major ones:

1-I'm afraid that if my husband and I were to go somewhere alone (out of town or a trip) without the kids, we might die in an accident or something and the kids would be left without parents (and there really isn't anyone that I would trust to finish raising them to the same standards as us).

2-My second one is being cornered/trapped in a situation where I have no control and could possibly die--as a result, I always look around for an escape route, no matter where I am, so being in a plane, or in the middle of the ocean on a boat where I would have time to foresee my death in a crisis is just not good.

These fears aren't enough to make me not enjoy life, we can't afford trips right now, so that's not an issue and most places have some kind of escape route/alternate exit, so I'm good. In a couple of years, when we can afford it, we'll start to travel (as a family) and I will face my fears head on and with more experiences, I expect that they will gradually diminish (unless something horrible happens, of course!)

6. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jan 18, 2010

Oh yeah,

This one's a little silly, but when I sleep, I put my hair over my ears to help prevent an insect or something crawling or flying into my ears and laying eggs in there. I can't sleep if there is a fly or mosquito in my room, until I know it's dead. (When I was little, someone told me this could happen, and it's just something I can't take a chance on, lol).

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 18, 2010

I forgot about the bridge thing. Being from Miami, being afraid of bridges is bad, so I had to get over it if I wanted to go anywhere. I think being afraid of bridges stems from trips to the keys when I was little. The old 7-mile bridge was built on the old railroad tracks. It was so narrow, that you had to pull your drivers side mirrors in to avoid getting them snapped off by oncoming trucks. We would go down there all the time in the RV, and from that height, it looked like there were no guardrails, and that you were litterally right on the edge of the road, and any mistake would send you plunging into the ocean. I can vividly recall being scared to death every time my parents crossed that bridge.

8. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2010

:hugs:

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2010

Christeena, didn't you grow up on Long Island? It must have been incredibly difficult to be so afraid of bridges, living here.

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 18, 2010

Here is good news for everyone - after you have lived longer your irrational fears go away and are replaced with rational fears!! :help:

I have conquered the following:

fear of roaches - went to university in Texas, where roaches were everywhere! I even had one crawl up my leg when I was in bed. I learned to kill them with my bare hands, because I was so angry!

spiders - our home was inundated for a couple of years, so had to get over that one too!

needles/blood drawn - I find having blood drawn fascinating!

flying - I fly a lot -- and I stay calm by staring at the flight attendants and remembering "They do this every day and they are still alive!"

answering machines - used to have an irrational fear of talking to people on the phone, but I had to do it for my job all day long so I got over it!

What I haven't gotten over - driving on a freeway - I am afraid because I am not used to that traffic anymore and think I will kill us all! I do not drive "down south" anymore!

BRIDGES! - I have what used to be an irrational fear, which is now a real fear: I grew up in the SF Bay Area, and thought my fear irrational until the 1989 earthquake, when a section of the Bay Bridge fell partway down to the lower level!!!!!!! However, I figure the bridge is safer than ever now - but I still get a near panic attack when I visit and we go over a bridge! I close my eyes or time the 1-3 minutes it takes to get over the bridge!

I think it is common to be afraid of dying and leaving your children alone. It is a mom thing.

I think two of my most irrational fears are fear of being in a terrorist attack, at home or in a foreign country, and fear of being in a natural disaster while away from home.

So now you know!

11. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 18, 2010

I do the same thing..because someone told me that a fly will lay eggs in your brain and you will go crazy.:eek:

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 18, 2010

I have a friend who's afraid of laundry hampers. She does not, and will never own an actual hamper. She uses lidless baskets instead. When she was young, she was staying at her grandmother's house, and got up in the middle of the night to use the toilet. While she was in the bathroom, one of her grandmother's cats jumped out of the hamper and into her lap. She was 5 and the house was dark and unfamiliar, and she honestly though she was being attacked by monsters. I can't say I blame her.

I have another friend who's afraid of frogs because he got a sucker frog attatched to his back when he was a boy.

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 18, 2010

I used to be teriffied to drive across those big bridges. I had to drive across them twice a day to go and come to work. I finally got so I could handle he fear. In the beginning I was almost so bad that I wanted to hire someone to drive.

14. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 18, 2010

Back doors. I can't live in a place with a back door. If I do, someone will break in and kill me, I am sure of it. The only time I lived in an apartment with a back door I couldn't stay alone. When my roomate would leave I would have to go to my parents because I was so scared. Kind of puts owning a house out of the question.

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 18, 2010

Okay, all you roach fearers might want to skip this. When I was 19 and ran away to Puerto Rico for a year, I worked in a restaurant. Picking up fruity drinks at the bar, we noticed a roach antenna sticking up out of one. YUCK But that wasn't the worst part. One of the bartenders was a real slimy jerk. He used to tell the young girls who worked there that the roaches would climb up women's legs and crawl up their vaginas.

Oh, my God. I can't believe I even wrote that. I can't look at the words. Sorry.

16. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jan 18, 2010

Yes, I did grow up on Long Island. I don't remember it being that difficult. But most of the time I wasn't the one driving. My friends all thought I was insane. I would have to close my eyes .. they would actually warn me when a bridge came up. I also didn't like (and probably still wouldn't though I haven't been there in a while), driving on the ocean parkway (there is a bridge), or on the road closest to Jones Beach because I was able to see the water. (Wantagh Pkwy too- where there are the THIN bridges eek!!!.) I was so thankful that we went over ALL bridges on our way back and forth to DC/NY when it was dark.. and I was sleeping for them :D

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 19, 2010

My mother, who grew up in NY, has cried every single time in her life she has had to go over a suspension bridge.

18. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2010

I know this aint in the spirit of the thread but my only fear for years was dying before my two kids could get old enough to fend for themselves. Now they are 25 and 21 and seem to be headed for solvency. So WHAT DO I DO? Start over and now have a two year old and five year old. DOOOOHHHH.

19. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jan 19, 2010

I have an irrational fear of fire. I unplug everything when I leave a room. I freak when my curling iron is laying on something that could potentially catch fire. I don't set my laptop on paper. I often triple check that things are unplugged and nothing hot is around. I won't even put my hairdryer in the drawer after I use it, it has to stay out until it's completely cooled off. It's ridiculous.

20. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 19, 2010

I don't think either of these are irrational but they play on my mind when I get into either situation. I'm fearful of big-rig trucks on the highway, most especially driving beside them. I've had one of their tires blow out as I was passing one once. My second is finding a body while hiking. I've never done it but I think it stems from hearing sensationalized news from when I was a child.

21. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2010

No fears now, but for many years I couldn't plug anything in to the wall or touch the light switches.

But there was a rational explanation. I saw a utility worker die in our backyard when I was 11. He was trimming the tree branches, and when the crew came back the next day, they had forgotten to turn off the electricity. That was a traumatic event, and I simply could not go near an outlet or turn on or off a light for years after that.

22. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 19, 2010

1) Loose hair getting into my mouth and/or me swallowing it (once a hair got caught in my throat and I was totally freaked out)

2) Snakes

3) Going blind

4) Dying alone

23. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 19, 2010

I watched part of the Law and Order SVU marathon yesterday and it brought back a recurring nightmare I used to have - someone coming into my classroom and shooting my kids. Several years ago I had the exact same nightmare several times a week, sometimes several times a night (if I ever see a man who looks like the one in my nightmare I would probably start screaming). It used to shake me up so much I would sit the next day and draw out escape plans. Crazy!

24. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2010

My daughter has the same fears about merging on highways. This is one activity I will not force her to learn. When she is comfortable, she will do it. That kind of leads into one of my fears, not really irrational, but a fear. When ever a family member leaves the house, I am afraid they will not return. So I always make sure that we have a pleasant goodbye just in case it is the last thing we ever say to each other. I am so glad I have this habit because when my son passed away, at least I had hugged him and said goodbye before he left that last time.

25. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2010

When I was younger and all through my childhood I could not close my eyes to sleep if someone else was in the room. It made it really tough in college when I had a roommate. I actually would make my schedule after they made theirs so I could schedule my sleep time when they were at class. When I got married, it took awhile before I could overcome that fear.

26. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jan 19, 2010

I'm really sorry about your son. I always make sure we have those goodbyes as well. Both of my boys hug each other every morning and say "I love you" to each other. I think its because I have always done it, and now that they go to different schools, they do it too.

27. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jan 20, 2010

Okay, this is going to sound really childish, but I am afraid of the dark. I sleep with a light on somewhere close by...and usually the tv is on also. I can't stand the thought of not being able to see what is around me.
    Oh yeah, mice and rats too!

28. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2010

brigidy~you aren't the only one. I am too. It's not so bad when dh is here but if he has to be gone for anything, I have to sleep with the light uncovered, a light on either in the bathroom or closet, and the TV on in the living room.

I hate going over bridges, I'm always afraid I'm going to lose control and go over the edge.

29. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 21, 2010

I fear dh will pass on while on a business trip. He flies everywhere, and I never know the flight number. Anytime the phone rings while he's gone, I'm terrified it's bad news. He also gets rental cars, so I'm worried about a car accident. I think about what my life would be like without him-emotionally, financially, geographically-it's terrifying. I know I could just go 'home' to MI, but it would be devastating. He's my best friend and I just can't imagine life without him. I'm fine with him traveling because it's his job and it's a really good job on so many levels, but I will be relieved when the travel stops, simply so I can stop worrying so much.

30. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jan 21, 2010

I don't think this is a fear but i freak out when my food touches. I love a sectioned plate. Which doesn't make sense because I will eat casseroles. I just want/need each dish to be separate.

31. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2010

I absolutely understand. How can people just pile food on top of other food? My husband is especially horrible about this during holiday suppers. Macaroni hugging up to mashed potatoes? No thank you! :)

(Actually, my husband's mamaw is the worst because she pulls a little bit of each dish towards on her the plate and then proceeds to flip them into each other like she's fixing up a stir-fry...she goes crazy with the fork scooping and flipping and portioning. It's really gross.)

32. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2010

I heard something on the radio this morning that reminded me of this thread. They have a bit called "does that make me crazy". A woman called in to say that she cannot go into a bathroom that has water sprinklers. She said she freaks out and has to turn around and walk out if she sees one.

33. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jan 21, 2010

Oh Shouldbeasleep, what a horrible and frightening experience - to witness such an event. I'm so sorry.

Half of the fears I've read are fears I also share. The other half I find laughable and entertaining. And I'm sure those that share those fears find mine laughable.

34. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 22, 2010

Thank you! Now I know that I'm not alone in this one! I love casseroles, but get green bean juice in my potatoes and the meal is over. As a kid I would tear the crusts off my break and build dams to keep the food apart. I also tend to eat my food one item at a time. A friend keeps telling me that it's all going to end up at the same place anyway and I keep reminding him that you have to taste it first! lol

35. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 22, 2010

Getting food delivered. I live alone and I fear that the delivery person could attack me and noone will ever know.

36. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Jan 22, 2010

toasters. I get anxiety waiting for the food to pop back up. It scares me every time! If I can, I wait in another room until I hear it pop and then go to retrieve it, but a lot of times I'm still in the room and it makes me jump EVERY time!

37. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 22, 2010

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but I want to point out a serious aspect related to this topic.

If you feel compelled to repeat routine motions or thoughts in order to ward off anxiety or to prevent negative consequences, this may be a more serious condition than 'irrational fears'. The kinds of habits I am referring to include, but aren't limited to, the following: ritual counting, tapping, reorganizing or aligning of objects, repeating certain phrases or thoughts before acting, hand-washing, and the feeling that you will injure yourself.

If you experience any of the above, please see a medical professional immediately, as treatment can be very successful.

38. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Jan 22, 2010

I am right there with you! I had no idea anyone else did this. I cannot stand to have my ears uncovered while I am asleep. I will cover with my hair or pull the sheet up over. My husband didn't understand this when we first married. He knows not to touch my ears. I also cannot stand to have anyone breath in my ear or at the back of my head. (Guess that's why he didn't understand. Poor guy. ;-) ). I will also press my fingers against my ears until my fingers and hands get numb. It freaks me out. Don't mess with my ears. I have heard stories of spiders crawling around at night. I don't do spiders either.

Also, I know this is wierd, and I am too old for this but...if the bedroom lights are turned off when I am ready to go to bed, I will practically jump from about 2 feet into the bed. For some reason, I am afraid something is going to grab my feet if I walk close to the bed in my bare feet and the lights are off. LOL. I have scared my DH so bad by landing in the bed like that. How silly.

39. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2010

Upsadaisy, there are three "routine motions" that I must do under certain circumstances. If veins are mentioned, I absolutely must go through a series of wrist and arm movements. My arms curls up and my wrists curl in towards my chest. I look like an idiot, but it must be done. I am doing it in between typing these words. Also, I must take the back of my bent thumb around the perimeter of my mouth, pressing firmly, releasing, and pressing firmly as I make my way around, then I do a good once-over my top lip, pressing it firmly into my gums. Why I have to do this is too stupid to share. Finally, if the edge of my fingernail touches a surface in a just-so way, I have a routine to fix that as well which ends with tapping all of the edges of my fingernails on a solid surface which kind of looks like I'm banging on a piano, and then pressing on the entire surface of my nails...I have to do this until "it feels right". The other day I couldn't for the life of me make it feel right and it was very aggravating, but beyond that it doesn't truly negatively affect my life.

40. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Jan 22, 2010

I loathe escalators. They scare me.