Post-Observation Jitters

Discussion in 'General Education' started by houseofbooks, Nov 24, 2014.

1. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Nov 24, 2014

Hey guys! I hope you're having a fabulous school year. Here's the scoop for this post:

I'm no newbie when it comes to observations. I've been observed many times when I student taught and observed in all my longterm sub. positions. Today was my first observation at a new school at my first "real" teaching job. My vice p. said I did fine and my students presented their amazing projects, displaying a major part of my unit. Plus the students in this particular class are absolute angels and of course, no one was a behavioral issue. However, after EVERY SINGLE OBSERVATION, I always second guess myself and pick apart my lesson, especially what I could've done better in the classroom. Then I feel nervous and down on myself. I have always been my own worst critic. I guess I want to be "perfect" despite such a thing being impossible in the ed. world. I definitely want some constructive feedback and don't shy away from it; however I can be way too harsh on myself after an observation. Way harsher than any supervisor or admin. :dunno:

Does anyone else here reflect a little TOO much on observed lessons, especially prior to the post-observation discussions?

Advice on relaxing? :love:

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 24, 2014

It was commented that I'm probably one of the more reflective (and unfortunately, tending to stick to the negative side...though I've become slightly better) people...goes right along side the fact they said my lesson plan was the longest they'd ever received. Ha.

Relaxing? Know that no day will be perfect. Know that every reflection you make will make the next time you teach it and next time you work with those kids even better...have to follow my own edicts, though.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 24, 2014

I think almost every teacher second guesses themselves after every observation, no matter how many years you have been teaching.

I also think that is a sign of a reflective, motivated teacher.