Post demo lesson

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by acl1974, Aug 17, 2015.

1. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Aug 17, 2015

Hi all. I had a demo lesson, and I was a nervous wreck leading up to it. I don't think it showed much though. I think it went OK. There were things I'm sure I could have done differently, but overall, I was pleased since it was my first demo lesson. Boy, 30 minutes went by way faster than I expected. Because I wanted to demonstrate a couple of other things, I sped things along a little when I would typically spend more time on each piece of the lesson. I know they did tell us that they understood we wouldn't get through everything. Now, I'm just waiting. Hardest part. I really, really want this one. I've been on other interviews, but I felt like this school was home. Fingers crossed for me.

3. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Aug 18, 2015

Well, it was between me and two other candidates, and I got the rejection email. I am so depressed. I feel like this was my shot. It aligned perfectly with my background. I'm a career changer, and this was a teaching position teaching about the field that I've been working in for many years. If I can't get that job, I don't stand a shot at anything else. I am Secondary English certified. I feel so defeated. The only positive thing is that thank goodness this school district isn't like so many others, and they did let me know quickly. I'm thinking it's time to give this up, sadly. I've just spent so long on this dream, I don't have another dream. I'm not sure if I even have the energy to pursue anything else.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2015

Acl....you made it very far in that process. That's a great sign! You clearly have something that school was looking for. Other schools will want those things too. Don't give up! It's late in the hiring season but there are often last minute openings. Keep at it! Can you afford to sub for a year to get classroom experience?

5. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Aug 18, 2015

Thanks Czacza. I sadly can't quit my full time job to sub, although I wish I could. However, last year after a couple of years out of my certification program, I was able to get a job teaching a classroom in a private education company. I teach a ELA to a classroom of up to 15 middle school students. I am going to try to see if I could maneuver my schedule around at my current job to see if I could fit in a little subbing, even if it's only once a week.
    However, I feel so defeated right now that I don't know if anything will work. I know I'm throwing myself a pity party right now, but I just can't seem to pick myself up and forge on. I appreciate your comments. I keep telling myself that I should be proud to have made it to the final round at a good public school district in Michigan. Michigan is such a tough state to break into, but moving is also not possible. Believe me, I'd pack up my life and head on out of this state if I could, but my husband has a job here and my kids love their schools. Thanks again.

6. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 18, 2015

Your story sounds all to similar to me (I made it to the 2nd round but not the 3rd). I'm still not over the rejection!

7. JXG

JXG Rookie

Aug 18, 2015

I totally understand how stressed and frustrated you feel. I thought that teaching wasn't right for me either and tried pursuing other avenues. As long as you don't stop the search, at least you know that you're doing everything you can to achieve your dream. Like czacza said, there are last minute openings and even teachers that have to do a leave of absence in short notice (that's how I got my long term sub job). I've posted my frustrations here and everyone here has been so helpful, so I'm going to tell you what they have told me. Keep at it!! You never know when the next door opens for you, which I know it will for you.

P.S. Have you tried looking at private schools? There are a couple of placement offices that help with that like Carney and Sandoe. (I think that's how you spell it..lol)

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 18, 2015

Hugs, acl. Try asking this district how you could be a stronger candidate. In addition, as time allows, spend time thinking about how what you're doing with your ESL students enriches what you'll do in your future classroom.

9. teachartk-12

teachartk-12 Rookie

Aug 23, 2015

Don't give up!! I have had 8 demos during my job search, 1.5 years. One I turned down, another I got the job (a maternity leave) and the 8th…I am waiting to move on to HR and hoping for this fall.

The disappointment after making it to the demo level and NOT getting the job is enormous. But if you are making it to that point, you do have something great about you.

I have learned that many times, the schools already know who they want to hire. They need to follow protocol which includes interviewing a certain number of people, asking about 3 people back to demo and then the decision is made.

Pick yourself up and keep trying!!!