Post card exchange HELP:)

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Sweet2Teach, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Sweet2Teach

Sweet2Teach Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

Hello! THis fall I will begin my second year as a teacher! I teach Kindergarten(all subjects 3 full days) and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade sciece. During my student teaching my coop teacher and I did a post card exchange. The kids loved it and I really want to do it this year. However, I am having no luck with my searches. Michigan is always taken! Any ideas?? Thanks and have a super summer!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2007

Did you check the post card exchange thread here at AtoZ?

4. Sweet2Teach

Sweet2Teach Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

Yes I did and Michigan is not needed. If I am looking in the right spot, there are only 5 or so threads. Any other ideas? Thanks for the reply.

5. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jun 28, 2007

Would you be up for starting your own? :) Maybe other teachers from other states are having the same problem as you?

6. Sweet2Teach

Sweet2Teach Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

Actually I have considered the idea. But this is my first full year of teaching, and I do not want to overload my plate:) But I just might have to do that. Plus I have no clue where to start, but I guess there is a start to everything.

7. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jun 28, 2007

I have never started one either, so I am not for sure how much work it would be. :) I know it would involve the initial work of getting the word out and every once in a while putting out a list of which states you are missing. A person would have to collect the addresses and put them into a spreadsheet to e-mail to everyone by late August or early September. The ones that I have been in did better if there were some deadlines structured into it...at least, I work better with deadlines! :eek: During the year, some reminders may need to be sent out. Other than that, it would be out of your hands, I think, and up to the participants to follow through. You will probably never get 100% to follow through, but a good majority will. (Sometimes good intentions are just not enough. :) )The ones that I have done were quite successful and a lot of fun! The kids really looked forward to receiving the cards. I am sure that there are others who could give you better, more specific tips. :)

8. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Jun 28, 2007

Check teachers.net.

9. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 28, 2007

Hopefully you will have more luck than I am having so far... I am having a heck of a time finding one that GA is still needed in. My kids enjoyed it so much during 2nd grade I was hoping to do it again this year since it will be the same kids. I was able to get them to do geography w/o any arguments when I told them we had mail and had to figure out how far away they were from us.

10. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Jun 28, 2007

I am in one that I hope will be good, never done this before and Georgia isn't listed yet. I cant post links but its

www. kidswriting . net/postcard.html

11. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 29, 2007

Thanks Mrs. Hodge. I completed the form so hopefully I did so before someone else from GA was able to do so. My kids just really enjoyed it so I wanted to repeat since we "have" to learn the geography this year. I will have at least 6 students who weren't with me last year so I want to have a couple of fun projects for them since we DON'T HAVE READING FIRST. YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

12. Sweet2Teach

Sweet2Teach Rookie

Jul 1, 2007

THANKS to all who helped!

I did find an exchange, so thank you for the great advice. I was very close to starting my own! Have a great summer:cool:

13. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jul 1, 2007

That is great!! Have a fun time with it!!:)