Post-Baccalaureate vs. M.Ed. - Advice please!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by britac11, May 29, 2007.

1. britac11

britac11 Rookie

May 29, 2007

Hello,

First of all I just want to say thank you to everyone who posts on this board...I read your stories and advice all the time and it has made me very excited to become a teacher!

Having said that, I need some of your fabulous advice. I graduated from college 2 years ago with a B.S. in Psychology. I want to go back to school for Elementary Education. I have already taken and passed my Praxis I exam and am enrolled in courses this summer to get my requirements out of the way (Math, Hist., Science, etc).

I am going to California University of PA and was planning on doing their Post-Baccalaureate certification program, which is 65 credits. However today I was looking at their graduate programs and the M.Ed. in Elementary with certification is 51 credits and I would come out of it with a Master's (which I wanted to acheive in the future anyway), but it is slightly more expensive.

I have read a lot on the boards about schools wanting to hire people withOUT a Masters so that they can pay them less. Should this be a major concern for me?

Seriously, I am totally confused and any advice would be very appreciated!

Thanks so much for reading this!

-Brit :)

3. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

May 29, 2007

I had an undergrad business degree and recently graduated with my Masters in Ed. I went through the same struggle you are going through trying to decide post-bacc vs. masters. I finally decided to go the Masters route b/c it was only a few more courses and the salary difference would recoup the increase in tuition.

Well, I recently accepted my first teaching position (to begin in the fall), and I will tell you that having a Masters didn't seem to be an issue at all in the hiring process (pro vs. con). Our district is so desperate for teachers that a candidate having a Masters does not seem to deter them when hiring.

Best of luck with your decision!

4. teach123

teach123 Cohort

May 30, 2007

I think it depends on where you want to teach. I don't think school districts in Pa. will hire you without a specific certification for what you want to teach. I needed to make that same decision two years ago and decided to go for my El. Ed. and Special Ed. cert. If I get hired somewhere, I will continue going for my Master's.