Post Baccalaurate Teacher Licensure

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Immerito, Apr 3, 2019.

  1. Immerito

    Immerito Rookie

    Aug 27, 2014
    Likes Received:

    Apr 3, 2019

    Does anyone know of a college or university in Illinois or Missouri that allows for students to complete teacher certification by taking classes solely online or evenings and weekends and online?

    Trying to go back and finish my teacher certification but need to work full time as well.
  3. TeacherGroupie

    TeacherGroupie Moderator

    May 13, 2005
    Likes Received:

    Apr 3, 2019

    I hate to be the bearer of news you may not want to hear, but...

    • In most if not all states, most programs that are online or weekend also have a student teaching requirement that, because it involves students, pretty much HAS to be completed in a school during regular school hours. Plan on having to take off work for between six weeks and a semester, depending on the program.
    • Teacher-certification units that you have already fulfilled in Institution A's licensure program may transfer only partly or not at all to Institution B's program, especially if one of the institutions is a state school and the other isn't and/or the units you have aren't very recent. In other words, you will be entering Institution B under Institution B's current licensure program requirements, and you may find yourself having to retake some or all of your previous coursework to satisfy those requirements. You'll want to inquire very carefully about this - let me recommend getting hold of an unofficial transcript from Institution A, to take with you when you interview with Institution B, or to mail copies of - and you might do well to get a written statement from Institution B before you plunk down real money that lists what you do need to retake and what you don't.

    On a happier note, if your units were from a state school and not very recent, you might well find that that school has sprouted a part-time (evening or weekend or both) or online licensure program in the meantime. Phone the school of education and ask; and you might even be able to set up an appointment with an advisor without committing yourself to anything.

    A to Z members have also indicated that Western Governors University (I think it's strictly online) is fairly good and fairly reasonably priced. Online programs are quite likely to be based in someone else's state, and sometimes that means that you have to pass the other state's teacher tests to get a valid credential in the school's state that you can then transfer to the state in which you actually want to teach. Given that you've specified EITHER Illinois OR Missouri, I'll guess that your preferred location would make it feasible to work in either; if that's the case, you may well find that you're well served by holding both certifications anyway.
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. ChildWhisperer

    ChildWhisperer Groupie

    Jun 25, 2015
    Likes Received:

    Apr 3, 2019

    National Louis University in Illinois offers evening classes for their Masters programs. You will have to do a certain number of hours of clinical observations each quarter in a school though.
    And then student teaching at the end will be full-time
  5. skyline

    skyline Companion

    Feb 11, 2014
    Likes Received:

    Jun 4, 2019

    I had the same problem in my state. I looked high and low, but couldn't find anything that didn't require me to quit my job. The workload to meet university requirements was insane. I easily spent 25-35 hours a week on college assignments, and had to spend many hours in the field on top of that, not to mention the 12 hours spent in college classes a week (online or in a tradition classroom). Sorry, I know it's not what you were hoping to hear! It was more than a full-time job, so essentially, if I kept my full-time job, it would be like working 2 full-time jobs, one of which I would need to invest more than 40 hours a week.
  6. bella84

    bella84 Aficionado

    Jul 20, 2012
    Likes Received:

    Jun 4, 2019

    I realize this thread is about two months old, but I'm in Missouri and near Illinois, certified in both states. I have many questions/comments for the OP:
    - You previously posted about earning certification in Texas? Did you ever do that? Is that where you started your certification program?
    - What are you wanting to be certified in? The program requirements will vary for different programs (like elementary vs. secondary, for example).
    - As was already mentioned, you'll have to quit working full-time in order to student teach, when you get to that part of the program (assuming you never did student teaching in your first program). Both states will require some sort of practicum/student teaching in order to gain certification. The length of time will be dependent upon the university/college that you choose.
    - There are many schools in the St. Louis area (near both MO and IL, and possibly where you live?) that offer Masters level evening and some online courses. However, you'll still have practicum hours that need to be completed from time to time.
    - It's easier to transfer a certification into Missouri than into Illinois. Just something to keep in mind.
    - Missouri has a much better retirement system than Illinois. Also something to keep in mind.

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. nazila76
Total: 139 (members: 5, guests: 112, robots: 22)