Post-bacc units on the pay scale

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherwithlove, Jul 19, 2013.

1. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 19, 2013

Hi, as some of you know I am starting a new job this school year. For some reason I have a feeling that the district won't count some of my post-bacc units (teacher credential program units) because they are 400 level classes. I have 6 BTSA units that are 600 level and that's it.

Therefore, I have approximately 49 credential units and 6 BTSA units. That is 55 post-bacc units, which would place me in column 3- MA degree level- on the pay scale. Does this sound right?

My previous district counted my post-bacc credential program units for columns... but they, at times, didn't seem to know what they were doing at all- a BIG reason why I needed to leave- so I'm worried that they counted them when they shouldn't have.

Please let me know what your experiences are when it comes to steps and columns. :) Thanks!!!

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 19, 2013

Around here you only get credit for a Masters degree if you have had one conferred. I don't think a credential program would count if it wasn't a master's degree. But, every district is different. If you were already being paid on that scale, it may be harder for them to bump you down.

4. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 19, 2013

I took a screen shot of the pay scale:

[​IMG]

What do you think? It just says post-bacc OR Masters...

5. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 19, 2013

Currently I have 49 credential prg post-bacc Qtr. units and 6 BTSA Qtr. units.

So... 55 QTR Units.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 19, 2013

I'd email HR to find out. Did they ask for official college transcripts yet?

P.S. I had no idea you were able to land a position in another district! Congrats!!!

7. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 19, 2013

YTG, I have orientation this coming week and I turn in the proof of previous teaching and my O. transcripts then...

Yes! I got called for an interview in early June and after the interview, they offered me the job within an hour! I am so ecstatic!

8. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 19, 2013

I have 45 credits past my B.A. and not one of them count because they are all post-bacc, towards my teaching credentials. Personally, I don't think it's fair at all but there's not a whole lot I can do about it.

9. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 19, 2013

Jersey teach, I don't think that's fair either... :(

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 19, 2013

You got units from BTSA? I'm definitely not getting those... I wasn't aware BTSA counted for post bacc units, or units of any kind actually.

Did you take your credential courses during your undergrad in one of those combined programs some of the Cal States offer? I have a coworker who did that and he's very low on the pay scale because he doesn't have anything above a BA, according to our school.

If your credential courses were taken after you earned a BA, then they should count as post bacc, I would imagine.

But then again, it's probably up to the district's interpretation, unfortunately...:rolleyes:

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 19, 2013

p.s. CONGRATS on your job! I think I must have missed that somehow. You're giving me hope because I will be applying this spring. I am trying to move out of SoCal and nearer to my family. I'll have 2 years of experience (almost) at that point and will be ALMOST done with BTSA. Can I ask how long you've been teaching? You're semi new too, right? (Sorry if I'm mixing you up with someone else on here! I get confused!) I'm just looking for some hope because part of me is like "YEAH RIGHT! Good luck getting hired in a public district!" :eek:

12. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 19, 2013

Yes! My county offers 6 units for Y1 BTSA and 6 units for Y2 as long as you pay the tuition= $350 per session.

I did not take my cred classes during my undergrad because my advisor told me I would make more money if I did them as postbacc. So I graduated and then reapplied to the CSU to continue with my credentialing.

I think they should count as post-bacc as well but you know, each district is different... and this is a huge district.

13. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 19, 2013

Thank you!!! It was a shock to me as well... my previous district didn't take the news too well either. :( There is some tension there now. I really didn't want it to be this way but my previous boss knew I was looking elsewhere...

In which part of CA is your family?

I have been teaching for 2.8 years... I say 2.8 because I started in October of my first year. This will be my 3rd year teaching. If you are looking in my area- my new district (huge one) is building 3 new schools that are set to open next school year. I think 2 are elementary and 1 is middle school. They have also been steadily hiring every summer and fall (Octoberish) for the past 2 years. PM me if you want more details. I won't give out too much more info on here since I really don't want to be recognized by anyone IRL. lol... :lol:

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2013

My district will only pay post-bacc if they are master's level courses. There's a lot of us with either teacher-coursework or required ESOL/reading endorsements who don't qualify :(

15. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 19, 2013

I've never heard of postbacc credential units not counting in CA (my mom's a teacher and has worked in a few different districts), so I really think you should be good!

I sent you a PM. :) I am very happy to hear that it's possible to get hired for elementary in CA as a newish teacher!

I am extremely worried about how my current school will view my looking elsewhere (have to tell them! need letters of rec!), but I really REALLY want out of this area, so I doubt I will ever need to work down here again. :unsure: I've been even more worried lately as I've been looking on Edjoin and seeing how late some of these jobs are being posted (like, TODAY or yesterday). I'm at will because I work at a charter, but I would feel so awkward leaving them in a lurch in the middle of the summer... Even though they could find someone to replace me in like 5 seconds down here. Lol. Not like there's a shortage of teacher candidates!

16. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 20, 2013

I felt bad about leaving my previous school too. It was a small school and I had taken on a LOT of responsibilities for my P. I was basically her secretary/AP. At least that's how it felt! Anyway, don't make my mistake. I didn't tell her right away and my new district ended up calling her before I had the chance to. It was a horrible situation.

Despite this, she was able to fill my spot within a few days.

17. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 30, 2013

Yay!!! They counted all of my post bacc units so I am at the MA level on the pay scale. Phew!