Possibly don't want to be a teacher anymore

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by blessedhands, Oct 12, 2008.

1. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Oct 12, 2008

I am in my final year of College and by Spring 09 will officially begin the student teaching process. Ever since I was a lil girl I wanted to become a teacher. I don't see my self doing anything else but that. After I moved from Jamaica, WI I still have that dream and is pursuing it now. However, after observing in the USA High School I find that I still love teaching but, these kids are much different from what I am use to and it is discouraging me tons.

It is more work especially paperwork than anticipated and the lack of respect for authority is atrocious. I do LOVE teaching, I DO care for the kids, I DO bask in their abilities to learn, I DO enjoy coming to school to see them but this long drawn out STUDENT teaching process is making me nervous and fearful that I sometimes get unhappy and totally turned off from wanting to teach. But my heart is saying "this is you- this is what you love to do. This is what you were born to do."

Is it that I am getting cold feet and becoming overwhelmed with what I see in the school systems or is it that I am truly stressed out about the ST-teaching process? I think it might be both.

What do you have to say? I welcome constructive critisms and suggestions.

Thank you.

3. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Oct 12, 2008

Student teaching is a very stressful process. Once you have your own classroom you will have so much more control over your daily routine. Students can be disrespectful, but only if you allow them to be. You have the ability to control their behavior a lot more than you think.

I wish I could say the paperwork dies down after student teaching, but that would be a lie.

It sounds like your heart is in this. I wouldn't give up this late in your pursuit of your dream! Hang in there! We're here for you!

4. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Oct 12, 2008

:hugs: Thank you so much. Trust me my heart is in it. I am so disheartened about the whole thing that I loose sleep at night thinking if I will know the content, how will I sound in front of them, will my co-op teacher respect my ideas, should I change my major and go for God knows what.

It is kinna stressing me out a bit to tears.:|

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 12, 2008

Having your own classroom is nothing like student teaching. In student teaching you are essentially working in somebody else's world while everyone watches and evaluates how you do. EGADS!!

When I did my student teaching, I lost 30 pounds . . . cried just about every night, and threw up about half the mornings. And it wasn't that it was all that awful in retrospect . . . just stressed me out completely.

Once I had my own classroom and was able to do things like I wanted, things became much better.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 12, 2008

The setting you work in can make a huge difference in your experience in the classroom. I don't choose to work in a setting with disrespectful students. I just couldn't handle it. If you've always wanted to teach, then you can't give up before you even try. There is no way to predict how others will respond to you, and you don't have to. Just prepare to be your best.

7. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Oct 16, 2008

Although I still get the jitters, I am still going through with it. Let me see how it plays out come Spring.

Other comments welcomed and thanks for those who responded.

Bless,
    1luv

8. sk8enscars311

sk8enscars311 Companion

Oct 24, 2008

And don't forget that all schools are different. I'm at a school where the only paperwork I do is report cards. And then there are schools that want all kinds of things from lesson plans to data reports. It's hard when you first start teaching because you may end up at a school that's not right for you. You don't know the kinds of things to look for when you're just starting out or the questions to ask when you're in an interview. So just take it one step at a time. Focus on getting through student teaching and use the time to figure out what you really want. Then when you go job hunting you will know what to find out before accepting a job. It's not just the school interviewing you but you interviewing the school. There are circumstances where you are mismatched and maybe that's how student teaching feels. Hang in there! It may take a little time for it to feel right but it's worth it!

9. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Oct 24, 2008

Thank you...that's what I plan to do. I mean the cat is already out of the bag. I can't change now.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2008

You've wanted this your whole life. You've had just a glimpse into what it's really like-- DON'T turn back now!!!

If it's not for you, it's not for you. But you'll never forgive yourself if you quit before you get the chance to try.

11. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Oct 24, 2008

I know how you feel. I wanted to get student teaching done and over with because it was the the last thing i had to do before i graduate. I am in a 5-12 program for social studies, i chose to work with 6th grade over highschool. Mostly because they are not twice my size and they have not gotten to the super snotty phase. I have had a wonderful experience, and am really considering looking for a full time position... I would love to work for the school i'm student teaching at, if they add on 11th grade.
    Hang in there. If you have a choice, student teach in the fall, this can also help you with things that no one will ever teach you, like what to do on the very first day. How long is your student teaching program?
    Mine was only 12 weeks, but i know that the local college (i go to a private school online) has a full year 1 semester of observations, and one of actual classwork. Also... I'm at a charter school and there is not much paper work for anything. They expect lesson plan books and record books and objectives on the board, but... thats about it.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2008

I also had second doubts when I started going to a univeristy to become a teacher. I was taking an orientation class on the liberal studies major program. The guest speaker was a teacher (whom I later worked with) who spoke nothing but the cons of being a teacher nowadays. I was so crushed that I went to my apartment and cried. I stuck with it, though. I enjoy being a teacher. It can be tough, but there are so many wonderful rewards. FIfth grade was awesome!!! And Kinder is fun too. Today, I gave them a writing test. They had to write a spooky story. Last month they wrote about our trip to the super market. Last month, it was mostly scribbles and strings of letters. This month, every student improved greatly. I forgot how little they knew about writing just a month ago. I had so much fun hanging up this months story over last months!!! So, go for it! You may regret it.

13. Mathfan

Mathfan Rookie

Oct 26, 2008

I also had my doubts when I was doing my student teaching. My cooperating teacher was not very good with the students and students didn't respect me because they knew I was not the one in charge. I struggled with this.

Once I got my own classroom, things changed. The first year of teaching was overwhelming because of all the paperwork and keeping track of a lot of things. The second year was a lot better.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2008

Blessed- are you hard set on HS? You may find younger age groups a bit easier to handle... Attitudes and behaviors can vary school by school, district by district. Have you considered ST placement in a private school (do they allow that?) The catholic schools in which I taught and the private HS to which a friend sends her child have stricter behavior expectations than many public schools. In any case, ST is not easy...you are constantly being watched, scrutinized...but if your heart is in it and you have a passion for teaching, that will shine through and get you through the tough days. I wish you luck. ;)

15. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Oct 26, 2008

Actually I am not dead set on teaching HS alone. I do have elementary Ed courses and did observation and taught before in the ECE system. As long I don't have to work with daycare kids, I love to teach all around. I am also thinking of reaching the point where I can teach College level students.

I appreciate the encouragement yall even though I still have doubts. I will keep this thread open and if I am alive for the next 1-3 yrs, I will be happy to report. :)

16. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Oct 26, 2008

I have the opposite opinion. I thought student teaching was a blast. I cried when I had to leave. In my brief stint in an actual classroom I cried tears of joy when I left. I think I might feel differently if I teach in a school that's a better fit for me but right now I'm still going back and forth on if this is what I want to do. It was never a lifelong dream of mine like it is for you, though, so I think if you have that passion, you will succeed. My dream is to be a Broadway star but I can neither sing nor act very well so...maybe in my next life I'll be able to do what I want. ;)

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 26, 2008

Blessed,
    If you find a small school with a lot of parent support you will love teaching! My first year I taught ten students in grades kindergarten to grade 8. It was an amazing experience. The parents were so supportive. I would email or call them daily and keep them up to date on what we were doing. It was like a huge extended family.

18. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2008

Blessed- I thought the same thing that czacza said; maybe you should try it out with younger students...but don't quit before you try! Student Teaching is a stressful time; hopefully you will have a great cooperating teacher who will support you and help you along- some people have had wonderful experiences! Just make sure that you have a hobby or something to do when you are not in school so you have a place of "refuge" at the end of the day...some days you will need it! But like lots of PP said, having your own classroom is much different, and although there is a lot of paperwork, once you get used to it, it gets easier and is just another part of the job that you do because the reward in the students is so great. Good luck!

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 26, 2008

I'm going to add an "on the other hand". I DID quit the teaching track when I was about 20. I was far too emotionally young for it, plus I had a jerk of a mentor in the Education Department of my college. After a decade of working in the private sector (my teaching skills had given me a huge advantage in customer service), I was ready to go back.

If you DO decide that you're not ready to enter a classroom full time, remember that the option will continue to be there for you as long as there are still children in this world.

20. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Oct 26, 2008

Blessed-

My ST-experience wasn't bad, although it was stressful. I was much happier when I had my own classroom--in a high school! I love teaching high school-aged kids--you just have to let them know from day one it is YOUR classroom. The kids are great and fun to work with. Sure, we have our bad days, but we have many more good days and they are worth it. You have come this far, so at least get through ST. Each year gets easier too. Good Luck! You sound like you have the passion it takes to be a great teacher!

21. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 27, 2008

Blessed hands,
    I can not belive I am hearing this from you. I guess I just figured you were already a teacher. I did not relize you were like me and still in college. (I have much farther to go then you though). It does like others have said seem like your heart is in it. I would not base your 1st classroom year on your student teaching. I have seen student teachers and talked with them and it is much different then your own classroom. Even subs seem to be able to do more then ST's. I think it will just be one of those things that we all have to grin and bear. If God called you into teaching then thats what he wants you doing. He will help ease your fears and doubts. He loves you and will be with the whole time. Not just in the 1st yr. I will be praying for you!

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 27, 2008

Since this is something you've always wanted to do, please don't cheat yourself out of this great career w/o giving it a chance. I agree that student teaching & substitute teaching are NOT the same as having your own classroom. In ways, student teaching & subbing are harder because you're automatically being thrown into doing something that is another person's style & procedures. Don't let what you've seen so far scare you off.

Once you're actually hired for a permanent position, try it for at least a couple yrs & then if you find yourself completely dreading & hating each day, becoming depressed, stressed, etc., then you can reconsider.

I'm not telling you what to do whatsoever. I mean if you want to quit it all right now, it's up to you, but give it a good, hard try because you've already come so far.

Good luck! :)

23. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2008

Blessed,
    hang in there!!! Trust me....I wanted to quit teaching too when I was student teaching!! My co-op teacher made me feel like every lesson I did was just okay. She never really gave me any feedback-positive or negative. My second co-op teacher was the exact opposite. She always gave positive feedback but in a condescending (sp?), phony, corny kind of way. I knew EVERYTHING I did was not great.:thumb: I was stressed because she really didn't have a behavior system in place or any incentive of any kind so the kids kinda did what they wanted to do. I had to come up with my own thing to make the time be less stressful....I was counting down the days. I was through!! Come to find out....she really didn't want me in her class and just accepted a student teacher to relieve some of her weight. Well, I ended up getting hired at the same school and ended up being her grade level partner.:lol:She hated me even more because I was an even better teacher than her even though she didn't make me feel that way when I was in her class.
    Just get through the ST and see how you feel about the whole thing. ST was the most stressful time I can remember in my whole life. You are working basically for FREE from 8-4pm, having to play another teacher's game when your philosophies might not be similar as theirs, gain the trust and respect of students who are not even yours but it will be all worth it.

Good luck...:)

24. ELA 11 12

ELA 11 12 Companion

Oct 28, 2008

Yeah. I thought for sure that I wanted to teach elementary school. I did my practice teaching in two quarters. The first was 6th grade. Though I had great reviews from my cooperating teacher and field supervisor, I was told that I may be better suited to work with older students.

My second placement was in second grade. One word: nightmare. The kids loved me but I had no clue what I was doing or connection with them. It didn't matter how hard I worked or planned or whatever. I could blame my teacher training, and the MST program was somewhat at fault, but ultimately I am not cut out for that grade level.

I am cut out for high school, especially 11th and 12th grade, with a focus on at-risk and difficult students. I've had more success with that population than any other, and those successes keep coming.

Tough it out. Sponge as much experience as you can. Should you have an uncooperative cooperating teacher or field supervisor, remain professional and ask for help. You are not yet a teacher and it is their job to train you. So long as you are doing the work--and caring, you will not fail.

When you are finished, substitute. Take as many different grade levels in as many different districts as you can. You will feel better about making your final decision. I will wager that the decision will be to stay in teaching.

25. Mathfan

Mathfan Rookie

Oct 29, 2008

I have been in different grade levels and this is my first year dealing with high school students. I thought that they weren't any different than 8th graders but I'm finding out that there is a big difference and I'm really struggling with the 9th graders bad attitude. I don't think HS is for me.