Possibly a new sub, quick question?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by everrinder, Jul 25, 2012.

1. everrinder

everrinder New Member

Jul 25, 2012

Hi everyone,

My name is Emily and I just applied for a large district in my area to become a Sub. I am currently going to school and working as a legal assistant part time during the week (Tu-Th).

I was particularly curious if anyone else is juggling a part time job that isn't subbing and how that works out for them. I was also curious about Subfinder. When we get hired as a sub in a district, do we place our availability somewhere in the Subfinder (or somewhere else)? I'm not available in the middle of the week but have open availability on M and F, but I wouldn't want anyone to have to call me on the days I know I won't be available. I tried looking around for this info and couldn't find it, so I was curious what you all had to say!

Thanks in advance! :)

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2012

I've never used subfinder (as a sub or a teacher), but in my experience, you only get called on your available days. Monday and Friday are the busiest subbing days, so that is good!

I worked full time and subbed every time I got called. I worked from 3-11:30 at my retail job, three week days per week, and then on the weekends. When I subbed at a few schools, I couldn't be there until 3:30, but my boss was always cool about it. I just called them and let them know. I know I was lucky!

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 25, 2012

Never used it before but you can tell them (or a system) which days you are available. When I was still in school I would usually only be available 3 days a week and it was never an issue.

5. everrinder

everrinder New Member

Jul 25, 2012

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the info!

6. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 26, 2012

I subbed for two 1/2 years before getting my full-time job and used subfinder alot! Once you are given your username and password, you will be able to set which days you would like to work. You can either do this online or by calling into the system. It's very easy! I subbed in another district that used aesop but I think I always prefered subfinder. It was easier to get requests.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2012

Never used sub finder, but went to school full time and subbed. I would just tell the person in charge of calling subs when I was available. Usually full days Fridays and during the week some half days.... It wasn't a big deal... during the week it worked out because there were quite a few half days that they were left trying to fill...

8. MissApple

MissApple Companion

Jul 26, 2012

In SubFinder you can check off which days you are available to work, and you won't be offered jobs for any other days.

I went to school and worked part time while I was a sub and it was easy to balance. Once I fell in love with teaching I dropped the part time job and subbed every day : )

9. ShoelessGal

ShoelessGal Rookie

Jul 30, 2012

I would think it would be manageable to have a subbing job and a part-time job. After all, you don't have to talk work home with you when you're a sub like teachers do!

10. WanderinTeacher

WanderinTeacher Rookie

Aug 8, 2012

I've used Subfinder for several years. It really depends on the district. Some of the districts I work at allow you to edit the information, but there are others that have it locked. In other words, you will need to contact the personnel office and have them change it for you.

11. Oregon Sub Girl

Oregon Sub Girl Rookie

Aug 9, 2012

My experience with Subfinder is that you can change your availability very easily in the options. You can easily mark which days you are available on an ongoing basis as well as put in random days that you aren't available.

Welcome to the forum, everyone here is very helpful so if you have more questions, let us know.

12. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 7, 2012

I juggled my full-time job with subbing once, just so I can get to know everyone (it was during the last week of school). Was quite a challenge, but eh. I'm dropping the full-time job for student teaching, though. And that's what I'm going to do myself, check which two days I will be available during my student teaching time.

I actually use SubCentral, not SubFinder. Same thing probably.