Possible Long term Sub

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by krhrvey44, Feb 15, 2021.

1. krhrvey44

krhrvey44 Rookie

Feb 15, 2021

I haven't posted here in a while. I am a career seeker trying to get into the education field. I talked to a school last week and Prin. wants to bring me on as a ling term sub until I take the praxis I need for this position. I am the main bread winner and the LTS pay would be a drop in pay. It makes me a little nervous this late in the year. I am currently at a position I have been at over 15 years. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. -

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2021

Sadly, only you can decide what works for you. If you haven't taken your Praxis Exams yet, you might want to pass on the current offer, get yourself situated with passing scores on the required exams, and set out to find a job closer to the end of this school year, since long term subs are often hired for maternity gigs over the summer. That way, you would most likely make more money than a daily sub, and be in a better position to have a maternity replacement morph into an ongoing job. I have other suggestions, but feel you need to bite the bullet and get those Praxis Exams passed, since you do not want to go to the trouble of finding a good job only to face disappointment when/if you can't get those passing scores. I personally recommend taking all of the exams that you will eventually qualify for/credentials you will be able to obtain based on your college credits. Schools are more likely to hire a career changer who have all of their coursework and testing/passing scores taken care of. Getting some references and a good resume wouldn't hurt either. Been there, did all of that.

RainStorm likes this.