Possible long term position....

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Green_eyed_gal, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Green_eyed_gal

Green_eyed_gal Comrade

Mar 1, 2008

I'm going on an interview Monday for a long term position.. I've never done a long term assignment and I'm not sure what to expect.
    I'm guessing this assignment will be for 6-8 weeks toward the end of the school year.

As a long term, what are you allowed and not allowed to do?
    Am I allowed to rearrange desks if I feel the room arrangement isn't working for me?? Can I set up procedures if there are none in place? I just want to know what my limits are... Is this something I should ask in the interview or try to figure out if I get the job??

Any input would be greatly appreciated!! :)

3. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Mar 1, 2008

I'm a LTS covering a maternity leave. I'm treated/regarded as faculty-- not just "some sub"-- which is nice. I didn't make too many changes in my classroom and I certainly wouldn't make any drastic changes-- especially if your teacher is coming back.

I hate how the regular classroom teacher has her desks arranged, but I'm not going to change it (unless I receive word she's not coming back). I'm also using her behavior charts. Her rules and policies are still in place, but I am also using a couple of my own ideas.

Hope that helps a bit! Good luck to you and I hope you get the position!! :)

4. girlblue16

girlblue16 Rookie

Mar 2, 2008

thoughts for you...from experience

I just finished a LTS position. I was given free reign to reorganize the classroom, change rules, etc.
    Basically, I was the teacher, so I got to do things the way I felt would work best for me and the kiddos.

Check with the principal for his/her thoughts on this. It's a difficult situation going into someone else's room for a short period of time and feeling like it's not really yours. But actually, it is for that time period. Do your thing!

5. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Mar 2, 2008

I also forgot to add in my last post that, in my interview, I was asked if I would make any changes/implement my own changes in this classroom.

Just something to keep in mind...

Good luck!! :)