Possible Lesson Plan Idea?

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by AngelRead, Oct 2, 2011.

1. AngelRead

AngelRead New Member

Oct 2, 2011

Hi! I am new to this forum, and am studying to be a special education teacher. I am doing field work in a regular second grade classroom, as part of a class on teaching math. I have to present a lesson plan towards the end of the semester. I know I will have to present my idea to my cooperating teacher and professor first, but I wanted to run it by some other teachers first, people who are not directly involved with me and who could give me some unbiased advice.
    The lesson plan idea I have is on tessallations. Of course I don't have a draft written up yet, but the basic idea is this:
    1.I will open the lesson by talking them about patterns and having them identify a few regular patterns. I will then introduce tessallations as a special kind of pattern. I will show them examples and non-examples.
    2. Next, I will show them how to make a simple tessallation by using the nibble technique. I will demonstrate using a large piece of paper as my template, use the nibble technique on it, and trace it to make a tessallation on the whiteboard.
    3. I will then ask the students if they can think of something the tessallated shape looks like, such as an animal, a house, etc. When they give me an idea, I will add details to the shape to make it look more like their idea.
    4. I will invite them to create their own tessallations using the nibble technique. They can make a tessallation on a sheet of paper, and then add details to make the shapes look like whatever they want (an animal, object, or just a colorful design.) When they finish, they can share their tessallations if they'd like.
    5. As a quick assessment, I will draw several patterns on the white board and ask them if they think each one is a tessallation or not.

What do you think of this idea? Thanks for your input:blush:!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2011

Does this link to your district math standards?

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 15, 2011

I think it's a fun idea. Some second graders will have a hard time tracing the shape and cutting the shape accurately.

I think for third grade, this lesson is great. For second, it might be too hard for some of the students. I'm sure they would understand the concept, but the execution could be challenging. You might want to make the pieces for them to trace and find the "pictur" in to save a step for some. Give them the option of using one you give them or giving them index cards or something to make their own.