Possible Job

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lajoers3, Jun 10, 2007.

1. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Jun 10, 2007

On Saturday I applied for a temporary teaching position (Year 1-2) at a school i've previously taught at.The position is a maternity leave position for two school terms.It's far from the most desirable school in the district or even the state but it's close, it's experience and it means for a short time that i'm getting paid (including sick leave, holiday pay and leave loading and other benefits). I spoke with the principal on the phone after emailing an expression of interest and curriculum vitae to her. She explained that whilst the position was only advertised for term 3 (11weeks) it is actually until the end of the year (term 3 and 4, which ends on 21/12/07). She said that she would like to speak with me again over the weekend to set up a time for me to come in and meet up with everyone and even have a trial day. If I don't hear from her I am to get in contact with her because she said it means she has lost the bit of paper that she wrote my phone number down on. She thanked me for calling her personally and said that she appreciated it. She said there is also another position for a couple of days a week that may be a possibility but honestly I don't want that one. With childcare unless i'm working at least four days a week then it's not worth it for me to work . Also, the other one is for a support teacher and whilst i'm qualified for that i'm actually looking into a different direction within teaching. There is a specific program within public schools here called Reading Recovery and as the name implies it is to help students needing help with reading and also writing. The reading recovery program is established in year 1/grade 1 and i'm looking at becoming a reading recovery tutor. A reading recovery tutor does not implement reading recovery into classrooms themselves but train teachers to use the program so that they can implement it . If I get this year 1-2 teaching position I would then be allowed to apply (you need to have recent years experience in infant grades) for the reading recovery tutor retraining program when it comes up next (hopefully in 2008). If I get accepted into the program that means doing full time study for a year whilst being paid a permanent teachers salary. The following year I have full time field experience under the supervision of another reading recovery tutor. I'm also paid for that year too, as a permanent teacher. At the end (so long as I pass) I need to accept a position in an area of need which will likely be western or south western sydney and I need to stay in that position for 3 years after which time I may apply to be transferred elsewhere. It is soooo hard to get a permanent position here that accepting an opportunity like this would be one way in the door

3. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 11, 2007

Good luck with your decisions... the right opportunity will present itself to you.

4. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Jun 11, 2007

Thanks. I just spoke with the principal again and she told me that she'd spoken with the deputies/assistant principals about me and that she needed to set up a time for me to come in. She had a P&C (parents and citizens) meeting this morning but said she'd call me back afterwards. She asked if this afternoon would be better to come in than tomorrow - I told her that tomorrow would probably be better . So, i'm expecting a phone call soon to set up a meeting for tomorrow with the principal and her deputies/assistants.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2007

Sounds promising!!

I know what a tough year you're having-- this sounds like the break you've been waiting for!

6. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Jun 11, 2007

Yes, it does sound promising and i'm excited but i'm trying not to get my hopes up. I've had other positions that sounded promising and didn't work out. I'm trying to stay positive and confident though because I want that to shine through in all my communications.

Actually, I just got a phone call now whilst typing to make the appointment for tomorrow - it's set for 10am. Yikes! Now i've got to figure out what i'm going to wear.

7. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 12, 2007

Best of luck to you!

8. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Jun 13, 2007

Well, I went in for the interview and I really think I did well as far as interviews go. I was confident in all of the answers I gave and I think that I was able to articulate quite clearly my abilities and strengths as a teacher. Big thing though is that I was called to come in tomorrow and Friday to have a trial with the school (even though I have worked with the school before I was there last year so they wanted to get another feel for me) and see what the kids are like and for them to check out me and my classroom management. I'll be working on various classes over the next couple of days but i'll have a stage 1 (kindergarten,year 1, year 2) and a stage 2 (year 3, year 4) class to teach on my own. I'm assuming someone will be checking in on me or even sitting in on these lessons to see what my classroom management is like.

9. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 13, 2007

Wow that's quite an interview process! Personally, I think it is hard to "judge" your teaching skills/ability when you are just thrown into a class or classes that you don't know (and the students don't know you) and expected to demonstrate great classroom management, teaching strategies, etc. On the other hand, maybe administrators just want to see how you can handle this type thing, since teachers are often faced with things popping up at unexpected moments. I wish you the best of luck!

10. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Jun 14, 2007

Well, things went well today so I am quite excited but i'm also anxious about how things will turn out. There are other applicants to consider for the position so I know that if I don't do well they will have someone else to fill the position. The whole day went perfectly today but I hope that it goes just as smoothly tomorrow. I really need this position.