Possible issue with my son's class

Discussion in 'General Education' started by renard, Nov 23, 2015.

1. renard

renard Companion

Nov 23, 2015

First, let me say I need to be careful navigating this, as it's my own district and coworkers (eek). My son is in K, and he has Autism (mild) with severe fine motor delay, amongst others. Few behaviours. He shares an aide with a severe child. I understand how her attention must be unevenly divided.

Every other day, he comes home with a giant A on one side of the page, another letter in the top corner, a scribbled E, etc. It's his name. He is struggling to understand basic writing conventions.

It's almost December. There is no correction or attempts made. I am trying so hard to teach this at home (this K has 26 kids, I know that's a lot) but am I right to bring this up???

3. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Nov 23, 2015

Does your son receive OT services/have an OT goal in his IEP? If so, I would just ask the OT who serves your son. Something friendly and polite, like "I know handwriting is such a hard skill for some students to learn, is there anything you would recommend we do the help him practice at home?" Perhaps they can recommend something to try, and at the very least it will alert them to the fact that you have concerns and want it to be a skill that is focused on.

If your son does not already get OT services, I would definitely ask the sped teacher about having him evaluated.

I wouldn't imagine an aid is particularly qualified to provide OT service unless they have been specifically trained in how to work on those skills, so they just may not know what, if anything, they should be doing the help your son.

4. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Nov 23, 2015

I second that - also wondering what other services he's receiving, what the goals are, etc.

5. Culturanta

Culturanta Rookie

Nov 23, 2015

This sounds like an IEP issue. Either your son is not getting the services he needs, or his current struggles are serving to identify an area of need that was not identified on his early intervention IFSP.

I would contact the school's head of special education (different schools have a variety of different titles for this position), and ask for an IEP meeting. Bring your son's work samples so it is crystal clear where your concerns lie. Then ask for additional services, possibly including a different placement (such as a smaller class setting - your guy may not be ready for a class of 26 just yet), to help him learn his basic skills.

6. Stacy9876

Stacy9876 Rookie

Nov 23, 2015

I second what everyone said previously. One thing though if your son is receiving OT in school perhaps the OT and classroom teacher can be in better contact so there can be some carryover. Often times this is just something that needs to be brought up so it doesn't fall through the cracks. Good luck!

7. renard

renard Companion

Nov 23, 2015

Thanks. I'm glad I asked. It's hard to use that common sense when it's your own kid. He does have an OT (a whole team). She has already pointed these things out at the IEP meetings, and it is listed. But it doesn't seem to be followed. I can't say that for sure - I am wary of making an assumption like that. I am actually a coworker of his OT (she works in multiple schools), so I'll casually bring it up I suppose.

ETA: I just glanced the IEP. It is step by step describing it. I suspect it isn't being followed. Unfortunately, the only placement would be to a different school. I might consider the move to smaller school if dire.

8. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Nov 23, 2015

As a spec. ed. teacher in my district, I'm also responsible for implementing OT strategies and monitoring OT goals, so I work on name writing a lot with my students. We might practice letter formation, strengthening fine motor skills, visual motor coordination, etc.. 10x/day, but when the child writes his name on art or a worksheet, I won't correct it because they made an attempt and I usually praise it and we keep working on it. In my experience, my students with severe fine motor often make the slowest progress in this area. Usually I can work on cognitive skills, social skills, etc.. and parents will see good progress by December, but fine motor is always something that just seems to take longer to develop. I'm not trying to defend what's happening with your son, it's certainly possible that he's not getting good services or good carryover services. In the past, I've had OTs that serve multiple schools, and the quality of services that my students got was much different from my school now where my OT is at our school full time.

Obadiah and Bibliophile like this.
  9. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Nov 23, 2015

My son had OT for a while and this was basically how it went for his writing. He would do specific practice and activities to build his fine motor and hand eye coordination in OT (pull out) but in the classroom he was just encouraged to do his best. This was important since when the writing be came more lengthy they were just trying to get him to not refuse to do it or have behaviors that he knew would get him out of doing it. He got praise for his efforts to keep him at it. My son doesn't have autism but he doesn't have tourettes, ADHD, OCD, sensory processing dysfunction and disgraphia which also run a similar neurological gamut. By 4th grade triennial he tested out of OT since he was in the 8th percentile which was too high And then they just trained him to type everything. He bring his iPad and types everything that the teacher needs to be able to read and the teachers give him thier notes so he doesn't have to be able to do that. Remediating handwritting is a...well I shouldn't use those words in polite conversation.

Obadiah likes this.
  10. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 24, 2015

My OT I went to for 39 weeks in 2010 told me "Remediating handwriting in children is a Herculean task on its own - with someone who has such significant deficits as you, combined with your disabilities, this will not have much, if any, permanent effect."

Every time I have OT, I have to be retaught how to write. Last time I had OT, I learned some good techniques that can help - I have issues with mild tremors - a weighted pencil helps with that. I have size issues, raised lined paper helps with that. I have some other issues, like letter collision, formation, pressure issues, and some other things which are a bit more difficult to work on.

11. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Nov 24, 2015

I agree with the above posts that if the IEP is not being followed, conferencing is needed to find out why or if the IEP needs adjusted. But I also agree that sometimes a particular skill might need more time to develop. I'm not a sped, but speaking from a regular classroom teacher's perspective, a child at this age has multiple skills that are developing simultaneously. It might be cautious to not overemphasize a slowly developing skill in order to spend more time on readily developing skills.

12. renard

renard Companion

Nov 24, 2015

I'm so glad I asked you all, thank you. I'll touch base with them and see if they agree with you all, and move on from there. Thanks, it's appreciated.