Positive Ways to say Stop Talking

Discussion in 'General Education' started by OUOhYeah, Sep 5, 2016.

1. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Sep 5, 2016

How do you do this? I have a few things that I do with my whole class, but how do you do this with one of your students?

3. Nab

Nab Companion

Sep 5, 2016

I wish I knew. Some books say that if it is just one or two students talking, you simply write a note and drop it on their desk(s). I find that with younger students it works. Older students just get noisey. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread, because I have a class of 22 students, where 11 of them are constantly talking. I don't think it is fair to take class time to fuss the whole class, when half are causing disruptions.

4. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Sep 5, 2016

I feel like you and I are in the EXACT same boat, and I hope someone has an awesome idea. I really need to stay positive with everything.

5. Nab

Nab Companion

Sep 5, 2016

Completely. I'm in middle school with a Secondary degree. I never wanted middle school for this very reason - they NEVER stop talking. And they don't care enough about their grades or extras for that to get to them. Social life is more important than anything else.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 5, 2016

Do your students sit in groups? I have been known to move the offender just out of the group, like a foot away. I do it without stopping instruction. I find that the slight separation from the group gets the point across, and I don't have to say anything.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  7. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Sep 5, 2016

I teach middle school, so I get how that is. Only problem is, I chose it. I'm dealing with middle school kids as well. Maybe, tell them that if they follow directions they can have 10 minutes of quite socializing time at the end of class? If they don't they have to work with you while the socializing time is happening. I don't know if that would work, but it is a thought.

8. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Sep 5, 2016

How do you do this without stopping instruction?

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 5, 2016

One way I found it is that I stamp a lot of their independent work, especially if we go over the answers (warm ups we do every day, so they get a stamp). Without the stamp they don't get full credit, because they didn't finish on time. So if they're chatty during the warm up, instead of nagging them to stop talking, all I have to say is : "I'm coming with that stamp in 1 minute" or "who's ready for a stamp?" This is high school and they're supposed to be tough guys and big girls but they act like I'm handing out $20 dollar bills or candy. They stop talking and concentrate on their work. Even the ones that don't care so much about their grades.
    I feel that this creates a positive environment, where I'm encouraging and not nagging them.

10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 6, 2016

I just walk over and move them while still talking.

bella84 likes this.
  11. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Sep 6, 2016

That's a good idea :)!

12. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 6, 2016

I do this as well.

If I take your question at surface level, which is how I took it when I saw the thread title, I'd just reword it positively: Please work quietly. We're working at a voice level zero. I try to word everything this way - instead of no talking, work quietly; instead of no running, walk please, etc.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2016

And, sometimes you just need to say, "You need to stop talking,"

otterpop and MLB711 like this.
  14. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Sep 7, 2016

I have an app in my iPad called Too Noisy Pro. It cost three dollars and was worth it! You can put it under a doc cam or display it through the projector. I just put it on he marker board tray too. There are many choices in settings and students can earn stars every so often that they haven't set the meter off. It is good for independent work time. They don't have to be silent because you set the sensitivity. In my class they could earn a minute of free time at the end of class.

When desks are grouped facing each other, students will talk... That is the modern classroom now, but it is a challenge fo me. Sometimes I miss rows where students face the front. It was so much more quiet...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    otterpop likes this.