Positive Time Outs?

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by cmw, Jul 29, 2009.

1. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 29, 2009

I just finished reading Positive Discipline & found lots of great info. Two of her other books just came into the library so I'm off to get & read them today. I'm trying to decide on a discipline system for next year. I've also recently read 1,2,3 Magic which was great. I'll most likely combine different items from about a dozen books I've read. I'm mostly struggling with the consequences part of my plan. :confused: Next year we'll have school wide rules & I have tons of incentive/ reward ideas.

Here's my question...who uses or has used the positive time out? How do you use it?

I am torn between the 2 schools of thought. School 1 - students are mini adults & should be treated as such. School 2 - students are not mini adults, they are children. The following example is given in one of the books...Would you want your boss to tell you to go to time out? Well of course not! But does the same apply to students? I truly believe we should treat students like we want to be treated. But, do they have the capacity (at nine & ten) to process & reason like adults? :help:

3. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 30, 2009

:anyone:

I'm thinking by the lack of responses that people don't use the positive time outs.

4. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Jul 30, 2009

Sorry, I never heard of it. I was checking back to see if someone had described it =)

5. MsX

MsX Companion

Jul 30, 2009

I'm not sure if i use positive time outs! I'd definitely say that my time outs are not punitive though. I teach the kids at the beginning of the year that i use time out (I don't even call it that, I call it "taking a break') as a way to help children get back in control. I tell them that everyone loses control and might break one of our rules...taking a break is a way to think about what you're doing and get ready to come back following our rules. I model it and they practice it.

If this is indeed what you're talking about - i'd say it's worked really well for me. By making time out a place to gain control, children aren't usually mad when they go there and thus they are able to gain control more quickly. I also let them decide when they can rejoin the group (of course I have a few kids who come back immediately and clearly aren't ready - for them I have a timer that they have to use). I also find that by having the kids not angry about going to time out, they are more able to take responsibility for their actions - they're not thinking "Ms. X is mean, and thus can think more clearly about the incident, if that makes sense

6. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 31, 2009

Do you send them to "take a break?"
    Are they allowed to go there whenever they feel like it?
    What do you have in the area (music, magazines, stuffed toys)?
    If they come back & aren't ready or are disruptive again right away how do you phrase how you send them back?

:thanks::D

7. MsX

MsX Companion

Jul 31, 2009

I have had incidences where students are staying in time out much longer than necessary. I had one little boy this year who would go and then daze out for long periods of time. He probably would've stayed there through all of math if a let him! I handled this by letting kids know that if they spend TOO much time taking a break, then they're going to have to make up the work they missed during a special or recess. Then, if I noticed a kid taking a break for a lengthy time (more than 5 minutes, let's say), I'd just say something like "oh, I hope you are ready to come back soon! I'd hate for you to have to make up your work during quiet time or recess!" It worked well! :thumb:

One more thing: here's an overview of how my time-out works!

http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/newsletter/16_1nl_1.html

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  8. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 31, 2009

Thanks Ms. X! I like that! It seems to be a combo of the positive time out & old school time out. I really like he idea of students having to make up the time if they take too long. :D

In the positive time out they say to put quiet music & toys & stuff in the area. They even have the students help decorate it. I feel the same as you that they would want to stay & play with the items etc... That's why I was curious who has done it that way. :unsure:

Thanks for the link! :D

9. MsX

MsX Companion

Jul 31, 2009

You're very welcome!!:)

10. Fishman

Fishman Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

Thanks for posting this info!