Positive self concept activities.

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by wyvern, Jan 23, 2014.

1. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Jan 23, 2014

I have a very well behaved class of 3, 4 and 5's. Very well behaved. In fact, their "acting out" is mostly passive. Not responding to directives or joining in activities to gain attention. This is a new thing in the class. It started with one child and seems to be spreading as a way to garner attention. I know there are many reasons behinds behaviors, so rather than discuss that, I'd love to hear peoples positive self concept activities. I have 20 children in my class, and I feel that they are just all needing special attention and time. So, I'd like to really focus on some self image and esteem activities and would love to hear your ideas for group and individual activities.

3. asha

asha Rookie

Jan 23, 2014

For not responding to directives, I read to call the child, once they look at you , you say"oh there you are, I thought I lost you" and smile. It works wonders.
    I have a separate room, where they take nap. I started this thing where I sit I front of the door and say something positive to the child before they enter the room. They love that, now they line up to hear something from me.
    Hope this helps, it really works well for me.

4. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jan 25, 2014

Have you tried giving attention to those kids who are doing what you want? I often will say "I like the way John is sitting in the circle." or "I really like the way Sue is dancing." Sometimes giving attention to those who are doing what you want and not paying attention to those who are not works.

5. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Jan 30, 2014

Of course. Also give out thank you or kudos cards for well done actions. I like to do gratitudes where I speak about each child in front of the group, so they can hear themselves praised. My standard response to passive attention getting is to ignore the behavior and praise and notice the desired behaviors.