positive rewarding question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ilovefirst, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Sep 23, 2008

I was just reading a different thread about managing behavior. Several people mentioned rewarding the well behaved. I was actually going to post tonight about that. I'm feeling the need to reward the students who are following directions and those who aren't talking nonstop...

I'm looking for new ideas on how to keep track of that over a day or week span. I am not willing to use the stop light method because that also has the negative side for those students who move to yellow or red (or whatever color you use). It's for more reasons than that, but I'm trying to stay away from the negative side and just do all I can to promote the desired behavior.

Thanks!

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 23, 2008

I use random 'skittles'. I use to use jelly beans, but switched it up this year. If I see a student is on task, the first person quiet or complimenting another student in an honest fashion, they get a skittle. Random rewards keep students on their toes.

4. janlee

janlee Devotee

Sep 23, 2008

I use a Positive Learning Grid in my room as a reward system. I have a small file box with sheets of colored sticky dots. Each student in my room is assigned a number. Their number is written on a sheet of dots. If they do something positive they take a dot and place it on the gird. I give out dots for good behavior, completing HW, whole class good behavior, doing a good deed. On Friday, I pick from the Positive Learning Pig (it's a cookie jar) 5 bingo chips that have the grid coordinates on them. (example B5, P2) If a child is a winner they get to choose 1 of 5 rewards which are...a HW pass, free book pick, sit in teacher's chair for the day, a sugar free ice pop for lunch, choose 1 daily assignment that doesn't have to be completed. I feel this has had a very positive impact on my class discipline. It is very easy to keep track. I just put up a new grid sheet each Monday morning. The students realize that the odds of winning depends on where they place their dot and how many dots they have won during the week. So they are in control of if they win or not.

5. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Sep 24, 2008

I hadn't heard of this one before, but I LIKE it!!! Thanks for sharing!

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Sep 24, 2008

Mrs. Wbee - I'm glad you like it. The kids are always asking each other how many positive dots do they think they can earn. I just came up with the idea. Sometimes things just pop into your head.

7. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Sep 24, 2008

i use goldfish crackers in the same way that the other poster uses skittles.

8. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Sep 24, 2008

janlee, I LOVE the idea! I might just have to try it!!!

9. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 24, 2008

I bought a huge roll of tickets, like carnival or raffle tickets. When I "catch 'em being good," or listening, following directions, etc., periodically during the day (not continuously) I ask a student to go "get a ticket!" They write their name on the back and put it in the container. At times, if only 3-4 students do well on a specific activity I may also allow them to get a ticket, too. If a student can answer a question about the previous day's lesson or makes a connection between two things we are learning, or notices something new in the room - she/he can get a ticket.

On Friday, the person who had his/her ticket pulled out last week gets to pull out one ticket. That individual gets to pick a prize from my prize tub. (If Noah is the honored one and he pulls out his own ticket - it goes back in when we are done but he doesn't get another prize (2 weeks in a row), he pulls another ticket, dumps all the unselected tickets, puts his back in, and we are done.)

10. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Sep 25, 2008

I use a good behavior checklist that I carry around on a clipboard. I give out points to students who are on task, showing good listening skills, have their planner signed, walking in the hall quietly, and so on. I keep track of the points with tallies on the checklist. For every five points the students earn, they get a RAMS buck (school wide PBS dollars) and the student with the most points at the end of the day wins a prize and several privileges (line leader, etc.).

This has worked really well, and cuts down on my negativity in the classroom. Instead of telling students to pay attention and giving out consequences, all I have to do is give points to students who are on task and the rest get right to work in order to earn a point too. In fact, I was being observed by the principle, the vice-principle, and a district person:eek: and my kids were being very chatty during the lesson. I pulled out the clip board and said, "Who is showing good listening skills...?" And the entire class went silent. It was great!

I can tell when I am not giving out enough points, because I start to get frustrated and frazzled with my kids. That is my reminder to start looking for the positive more. I highly recommend any method that highlights the positives in the students.

11. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Sep 25, 2008

positively great!

I use a system similar to the system janlee uses. Mine is the token system on Ms. Powell's website. It's not a token economy! I bought fake gold coins and numbered them to correspond with my student numbers. My last name starts with a C, so I call them Mrs. C's cents. I give coins for any good behavior displayed. At the end of the week I pull 5 coins from our globe container where I place them. I also have various rewards that we decided on as a class. I do really like the grid idea though. It covers coordinates and the kids need to know coordinate graphing. Now you got me thinking! I'm wondering if I can modify that for students that are having trouble following the rules and need an individual plan.

12. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Sep 25, 2008

Wow! Such great ideas!! Thanks so much to everyone!

13. boogaboo214

boogaboo214 Companion

Sep 25, 2008

I was in a class room ,second grade,and the teacher did the coins, she would catch'em being good and doing thing good and would give them coins pretty randomly and they each had a bag attached to their cubby, just a small drawstring bag, and on friday it was store day and they got to buy a treat. and she had just a small box of things like pencils and erasers and sheets of stickers and little stuff and she gave each thing a price so they had to count money. the kids loved it and it was not really based on the luck of the draw. she had several kids that if they were striving to be good for a possible prize and after 3 weeks didn't get some kind of validation them they would give up and go back to being the behavior issue.

14. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Sep 27, 2008

I love Jem's idea of using a skittle to keep the kids' good behavior going. However, our school is really into "health mode" this year and the principal really puts the veto on candy of any sort. I still find that food is what motivates more than anything else. Anyone have any alternative ideas of tiny treats that are healthy? I liked the goldfish idea. That seems fairly healthy. Others?

15. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Sep 28, 2008

Ritz cheese sandwich crackers?

16. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2008

You could reinforce the behavior you want by telling them you have a bag of skittles to share and today you will share it with students that stay on task. And then look all day for students that are on task. You will be rewarding them for the specific behavior you want them to fix.

17. edteacher26

edteacher26 New Member

Oct 5, 2008

Positive Rewarding

I am a college student, but I think positive rewarding is a great idea. I think students need positive reinforcement. While I was observing seventh grade last semester, the teacher used homework passes as a reward. If the students made A's on their tests, they would receive a free homework pass. It encouraged the children to do good. The teacher said most of the students usually didn't even use the homework passes. They would rather do the homework. This is just one example of positive rewarding, but I think it definitely helps keep the children motivated. It still makes me feel good to see a great or wow on my paper every now and then even though I am in college.

18. tbed63

tbed63 Rookie

Oct 5, 2008

I do something similar to Darkhorse's clipboard idea...and I like that one also!
    I carry a clipboard while the kids are working independently, particularly when they are doing something that requires interaction. I simply take notes of anything I witness that I like. I freeze the kids in their tracks after about 5 minutes. At this point I share all the good behaviors I've witnessed. The kids REALLY respond to this and they behave better each lesson and progress nicely over the long haul. I've begun altering this lately...I now have a student do the note-taking and reporting. This is also very effective, and of course it's more student-centered so it really brings a positive tone to the classroom.